Valve Caps - TPMS Specific? - Vanity

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
timthetinyhorse

Post by timthetinyhorse »

Hi All,

This may well be a stupid question however im going to ask it to make sure im not being daft.

I want to replace the old grey plastic valve caps with a set of porsche crest caps.....loads available from different places HOWEVER on ebay some of the standard plastic types show as TPMS specific. Is this really a thing? Do they have some sort of extra seal as stated in some ads?

Genuine ones https://www.design911.co.uk/p/decorativ ... =doofinder here show as TPMS so may go with these anyhow.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Tidesurge3

Post by Tidesurge3 »

They will be stolen within a week!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRD69BS9 GTS on order for Mar 24 delivery.
timthetinyhorse

A very valid point that I had not even considered! Perhaps i will stick with the drab grey ones :lol:
Tidesurge3

Post by Tidesurge3 »

I had some silver ones on my 2003 Accord, they came as standard, they were soon all missing.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRD69BS9 GTS on order for Mar 24 delivery.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Not sure if the TPMS valve stem is made of aluminium or something similar which can cause corrosion problems if you fit "fancy metal caps".

Probably safer with plastic :D
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

You guys must live in a ghetto! I have gloss black caps with Porsche crests from ebay, I think they were £10. They are still present after many months and I live within the M25 (West London). I did not buy anything specific, juts standard caps with crests, and they fit my Gen 1 sport classics with TPM sensors, they also fit my RS Spyder winter wheels.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

ScotMac wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:07 pm Not sure if the TPMS valve stem is made of aluminium or something similar which can cause corrosion problems if you fit "fancy metal caps".

Probably safer with plastic :D
This is a good point and I used copper grease to stop them sticking.
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
timthetinyhorse

Good shout on the sticking , dab of grease on the thread and im sure all would be fine....to be fair I have never has a set of valve caps vanish even back in the bullet days
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Tidesurge3 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:29 pm They will be stolen within a week!
Agreed. I've had expensive valve caps in the past. Get stolen straight away. Never bother now.
sacha.d

Post by sacha.d »

I believe the tpms caps have the rubber o-ring in them to stop moisture damaging the sensors. Aluminium grease for aluminium, something to do with voltages of the metal and sacrificial anodes. Not 100% sure. I use a dob of clear grease or Vaseline