Luton airport car park fire - started in an ICE car

The place to discuss everything else..
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

Personally I resist conspiracy theories, though there are certainly many big conspiracies that were entirely true - like the cover up of child sexual abuse in churches over many decades, or the concealment of doping in sport, as examples. The thing is we have to draw conclusions based on evidence, and cross-check facts rather than relying on single or unreliable sources, and ask “does my answer make sense?”. In this case there is no evidence available either way and neither my suspicion that this is EV-related nor the news reporting a guy saying he reckons it was a diesel vehicle are credible or reliable. So we must wait and see. Scepticism is healthy so long as it does not turn into confirmation bias based on selective data or giving undue weight to what someone on the internet reckons. It’s good to ask the questions.

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Moriarty wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:01 pm It’s difficult to understand how a conventional ICE vehicle fire could have had this result, especially when the car park is at an airport where there is so much firefighting equipment on hand. It sounds like the fire trucks were there quite quickly. Why couldn’t they put out the fire and how did it spread so fast and so catastrophically?

I think much more of an explanation is required and I still think an EV fire is the only thing I can readily understand to have caused something like this. I could be wrong about that but I do need more credible information than someone telling the BBC they reckon it was a diesel vehicle.
Phone video footage has already been circulating taken by another passenger walking through the car park, showing the suv (looks to be either a RR Evoque or a LR Freelander) already well ablaze in its parking bay, supposedly very soon after it had been parked.

I've seen speculation it could be a dpf regen issue maybe, but whether thats BS or not I don't know. However, that massive car park fire in that MS car park in Liverpool a few years before Covid, also was attributed to a fault in a diesel Range Rover IIRC.......so, maybe we need to ban all soot chucker RR's & LR's as well :lol:
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I blame you techie guys that want all singing and dancing Infotainment systems for the Luton fire.

Neil

Best Home to Airport journey and Return was by Exec Limo (turned out to be E Series but hey ho).

No parking hastle, walked out of departure hall on return and there was a guy holding up a clipboard with our Name on it.

Another time we flew out of Gatwick (stupid place to put an airport) booked hotel right next yo terminal, left car in their car park and had a restful night after a great meal, no hastle the next morning just an enclosed walkway to the Departure Hall.

Last long haul, parked at Manchester, Shuttle to Heathrow, reverse on return. No soddin M1/M26 to get stuck on.

Plenty of options.
Last edited by Col Lamb on Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
andreas

Post by andreas »

RGS wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:04 pm
We never heard the true cause of the car transporter that caught fire off the coast of Holland, or the one that sank off the Azores, all kept quiet
The Fremantle Highway was the ship off the Dutch coast. While the fire is still officially listed as under investigation, the trade Automobilwoche contends the preliminary survey and report say apparently the fire was not caused by electric cars.

The Felicity Ace sank near the Azores. As it's 10,000 feet down, we're unlikely ever to hear the cause of the fire.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Neil1911 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:34 pm I'm just in the process of booking somewhere at Heathrow T5 for 10 days next April. Thinking their Long Stay T5 looks tempting. It's outdoor :D, keep the keys :D, shuttle bus :( .... with luck I can avoid parking close to any EVs! :lol:
Suggestions of better options welcome...
Well based on the evidence available the best option is to park away from other ICE cars. Luton. Liverpool. Felicity Ace (all quoted above) started by ICE cars. Data suggests they are 10x more likely to catch fire than EVs. So yes, park well away from ICE cars :lol:
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I’d heard the opposite of this
Macan S MY 2023
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Neil1911 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:34 pm I'm just in the process of booking somewhere at Heathrow T5 for 10 days next April. Thinking their Long Stay T5 looks tempting. It's outdoor :D, keep the keys :D, shuttle bus :( .... with luck I can avoid parking close to any EVs! :lol:
Suggestions of better options welcome...
Don’t be so tight

POD parking is the only option for a Porsche owner
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

We’re taking the bus to Heathrow T5 later this month. 🚍
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:15 pm We’re taking the bus to Heathrow T5 later this month. 🚍
Is the bus yellow?
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S