Plus one for Michelin 😊
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

JurassicGTS

Post by JurassicGTS »

I am also looking to replace my front tyres.
I got 28,000 out of the rears and only replaced at 3mm due to a puncture.
Fronts have now done 31,000 but have scrubbed the inside edge and partially the outside edge but still have 3mm in the middle.
OPC said it needs a wheel alignment set up, but at £450 and 31,000 miles I doubt it. Maybe i should run a slightly higher pressure in the front?

I will have my Indi carry out a Hunter alignment at £190 before fitting a new front pair of Michelin Lattitudes.
2018 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2023 Boxster GTS 4.0 Arctic Grey
2023 Cupra Born V2 77kWh Glacier White
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

On-Track wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:34 pm
MacanPNeil wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:51 pm Hi All,

Would like some advice / opinions please;

Front 2 tyres need replacing along with 1 rear. The remaining rear was changed about 8 months ago due to slow punture / wear so still has plently of tred but has had a punture repair carried out on it.

All 4 typres are Pirelli P Zeros. NO fitment.

Do i change all 4 to a different brand, if so whats the best out there in terms of value / durability etc. Do i go with summer or all seasons?

Do i stick with Pirelli and change 3 tyres?

If it helps the alloys are 20' turbo (black with diamond cut face).
fronts are 265 / 45 / R20 Y
rears are 295 / 40 / R20 Y
There are currently no All Season tyres for the Macan with Porsche N rating so stick with summers. I'm surprised you got away with changing one tyre on the rear six months ago if the other tyre on the axle now needs replacing.

You haven't said what mileage you've got out of your existing Pirellis. If you're happy with both performance and wear rate, I would stick with Pirelli.
A USA reviewer commented about All Seasons being standard on Macans there
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MacanPNeil

Post by MacanPNeil »

Thanks for all the replies, the current tyres have lasted 18k miles which i am happy with. I think i will do all 4, just boils down to what deals are out there! Out of interest is there any additional benefit doing it via an OPC compared to the likes of a local independent tyre fitter, will the OPC change TPMS sensors at the same time? I seem to remember reading they have a life expectancy of 5-7 years?
crockers

Post by crockers »

Pirelli do a N rated all season tyre.
But aren’t all seasons a jack of all trades but master of none.

IMG_5815.jpeg

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

MacanPNeil wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:12 pm Thanks for all the replies, the current tyres have lasted 18k miles which i am happy with. I think i will do all 4, just boils down to what deals are out there! Out of interest is there any additional benefit doing it via an OPC compared to the likes of a local independent tyre fitter, will the OPC change TPMS sensors at the same time? I seem to remember reading they have a life expectancy of 5-7 years?
No mention made of TPMS replacement when they did mine but the car was only 3 years old. As for benefits it's mainly about how much faith you have in the guy holding the spanner, training, experience and care.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

MacanPNeil wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:12 pm ...... Out of interest is there any additional benefit doing it via an OPC compared to the likes of a local independent tyre fitter....
I will use the local Mr Tyre when due. They have supplied all my family's cars with tyres and MOTs for the last 20 years. At their margins they cannot afford to damage any high end wheel.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

crockers wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:11 am Pirelli do a N rated all season tyre.
But aren’t all seasons a jack of all trades but master of none.
Depends on usage, and geographical location, its not yes or no answer.

In reality for 90% of where people live in the UK, Scorpion Verde All Seasons tyres are the better option for 90% of Macan owners.

Its a SUV with awd, so unless you live at higher altitudes where you might get a lot of snow during the winter, or indeed drive to the Alps every year to go skiing, the need for real winters are probably not a huge necessity. Yes, they are better in UK winters for braking if a bit icy etc., but I've not had an issue living in the south east for the past 6 years running Scorpion Verde All Seasons in that regard.
Does a Macan really need high performance summer tyres.....? I suppose that depends on how much of a lunatic the driver is, and I suspect not many Macan owners take their cars on track days?
If so, the summer tyre, and second set of rimes for a winter tyre would be the better option.

I used to run summer performance tyres, and a set of proper winter tyres on a second set of rims on my BMW 135i coupe for the 6 years I owned it, and considered that necessary for a small powerful, rwd car.
But, as said, for the X5 40d that replaced it, the factory Pirelli Scorpion All Seasons have been perfect for the 6 years I've owned it.

And if I hopefully replace the X5 with a Macan next year, I will run that all year around on Scorpion All Seasons as well.
homerdog

Post by homerdog »

The Scorpion Verde isn't N rated for the Macan GTS rears, as far as I'm aware, so that rules it out for some of us.