TPMS after wheel change ?

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Fitted my winter tyre set this morning but TPMS won't recognise the sensors. I drove to my nearest service station to check pressures, 6 miles, put air in but still no measurement. Got home and contacted OPC , was told that I need to drive about 30 miles before the TPMS recognises the new set.
I have changed the tyre size/season in the MFD.
Anybody else had a similar problem ?

pmg

Post by pmg »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:39 pm Fitted my winter tyre set this morning but TPMS won't recognise the sensors. I drove to my nearest service station to check pressures, 6 miles, put air in but still no measurement. Got home and contacted OPC , was told that I need to drive about 30 miles before the TPMS recognises the new set.
I have changed the tyre size/season in the MFD.
Anybody else had a similar problem ?
It once took ten miles for my Macans TPMS to be recognised again
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Takes a while, i think the main task for it is to recognise which wheel is where, no idea how it does that though.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
wingless

Post by wingless »

One more reason why it's nice to live in tropical weather.

ALWAYS had two sets of mounted tires / wheels for every car. FINALLY finished selling all those piles of aluminum / steel / rubber before I downsized years ago.

Went north last week and I was sooo cold 'cause my blood thinned out. Woke up to see ice on the car.
2022 Macan
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

It must be time related, drove 1/2 mile this morning and TPMS was working, must be slow learners.
2japs

Post by 2japs »

Just out of interest how accurate is the TPMS?
I switched my format from bar to psi and seems too be slightly different pressure every time I look. 🤷‍♂️
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

The pressure difference from cold to running temperature is around 3 to 4 psi. That's only 0.2 bar so the change looks bigger when it goes from 33 to 36 psi than 2.4 to 2.5 bar
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

2japs wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:51 pm Just out of interest how accurate is the TPMS?
I switched my format from bar to psi and seems too be slightly different pressure every time I look. 🤷‍♂️
I've pressurised both sets of tyres in the past week at my local filling station to 2.3 bar front & 2.5 bar rear. TPMS on both occasions was reading 2.2 front & 2.4 rear. Difficult to decide if the filling station machine is wrong or TPMS is wrong.
wingless

Post by wingless »

Mine read 1 PSI higher than my digital hand held gauge.
2022 Macan
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:51 pm
2japs wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:51 pm Just out of interest how accurate is the TPMS?
I've pressurised both sets of tyres in the past week at my local filling station to 2.3 bar front & 2.5 bar rear. TPMS on both occasions was reading 2.2 front & 2.4 rear. Difficult to decide if the filling station machine is wrong or TPMS is wrong.
The TPMS is more accurate. Apart from the fact that filling station gauges are notoriously inaccurate the TPMS corrects for temperature difference from the standard 20C whereas the filling station gauge does not. This is why the manual tells us to only go by the TPMS system which will tell us how much air, if any, needs to be added or subtracted when checking the pressures.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA