New member looking to buy a Macan :)

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Lucy-1

Post by Lucy-1 »

Hey Guys,

This is my first post on here so thought I’d introduce myself and say hi :)
I hope everyone is having a good start to the week.

So I’m in the market for a used Macan and thought this might be a good place to start considering the forum title ;)

I’m at the entry level budget wise so I’ve been looking around 2015 so far.

What would you guys consider to be the most reliable engine and best over all model of the petrol Macans 2015-2018?

I’ve heard that the 2015 is the better engine vs the 2016/2017 as it was still made by Porsche, whereas after that it went to Audi?

Also been looking at both the 2.0L and the more powerful 3.0L S Model is there a big difference in MPG? I’ve heard there isn’t a massive difference, wasn’t sure if that’s accurate.

I don’t mind spending a bit more if it means getting a better model as I aim to keep the car for a long time. Ideally would like to get the 2019- but the jump up price wise is quite a bit. Is the 2019 much better mechanically?

I’ve heard about the roof cassette replacement and transmission box issues as well as oil leaks so just wanted to check which models were more prone to these so I can try and avoid them. ;)

Thank you so much in advance.

Lucy

PS If anyone is selling a petrol Macan with less than 50k miles on here with good service history get in touch :)

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Welcome :D

Before you start looking, I would like to point out that service and repair costs can be VERY high. Something to be aware of when buying an older car.

Good luck with your search :D :D
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome Lucy.

There are three generations of the Macan, each one being only a small iteration.

Gen 1 is basically split into two with what I term Gen1A & Gen1B, with Gen1A being just a basic no frills car, no mobile phone, no sat nav, no heating in the rear seats, rubbish 8 way seats, the worlds worst halogen headlights and 18” wheels. This generation had a smaller PCM screen in the centre of the dash and no Apple Car Play.

Avoid Gen1A Macan’s

Gen1B came along mid 2016 and standard fitment improved, the PCM became larger and included Apple Car Play if Connect+ was specified.

Avoid the 2.0 litre engine if you like to drive, it’s engine is IMO only suitable as a Town Car, on the open road it is hard work keeping up with traffic. Hence given that it is a big and heavy car MPG is not likely to be vastly better than a 3.0 litre S or GTS.

When looking at Macan’s Gen 2 & Gen 3 have the light bar across the boot so easy to spot the difference.

A Porsche dealer can printout the as built specification of any Porsche by means of entering the VIN into their system, never, ever buy any Porsche without having a paper copy of said as built specification.

OK, now in the beginning there was mainly the diesel SD which accounted for the majority of the sales, the S was in very short supply and had long lead times. I would have the SD engine over a 2.0 litre any day of the week.

The main issue has been the Transfer Box which Porsche put on a 7 year warranty, and as you are looking at 7 year old Macan’s do not buy any Macan unless it has at least a two year Porsche warranty.

Finally I would include in a Gen1B the Must Have’s:- 14/18 way seats, PASM, PS+, Xenon headlights, reversing camera (surround cam ideally) and Connect+

Avoid any Macan without these basic extras
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Hi Lucy, welcome to the forum.

Basically, the two litre engine is a VW engine identical to that in the Golf GTI but in a different state of tune. It has its work cut out hauling around nearly two tonnes of SUV but if your planned usage is mainly short journeys then it's worth considering.

The engine in Gen 1 and 2 S models is a 3L engine of Porsche origin whereas the Gen 3 S has a 2.9L Audi engine (which is great BTW).

As Col has said, avoid any car with halogen headlights. Bi Xenon were an option almost from the word go and LED came in around 2016/17. PASM (Porsche Adaptive Suspension Management) is continuously active adaptive dampers and it transforms the handling. It comes either as a standalone option or as part of the air suspension option.

I had an SD for five years and it's a great engine but doesn't like being used just around town. It's fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter and this tends to clog with just short journeys.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Lots of good advice already said but just wanted to say hi and welcome

Good luck with your search
PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

Hi Lucy

Welcome to the forum.

My main recommendation if looking at a car of that age is only to buy from a Porsche main dealer so that you get a two year warranty. On a 5-7 year old car where things will start to go wrong (whatever brand you buy), IMO the full two year warranty is the best extra to have.

I would also recommend focussing on the things you specifically want as regards colours and options and then finding the best car you can that ticks the boxes, rather than starting buy saying ‘I must have a specific model’

Good luck in your search.
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo
2japs

Post by 2japs »

PJV997 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:14 pm Hi Lucy

Welcome to the forum.

My main recommendation if looking at a car of that age is only to buy from a Porsche main dealer so that you get a two year warranty. On a 5-7 year old car where things will start to go wrong (whatever brand you buy), IMO the full two year warranty is the best extra to have.

I would also recommend focussing on the things you specifically want as regards colours and options and then finding the best car you can that ticks the boxes, rather than starting buy saying ‘I must have a specific model’

Good advice 👍
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

2japs wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:08 pm
PJV997 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:14 pm Hi Lucy

Welcome to the forum.

Good advice 👍
+1 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Lucy-1

Post by Lucy-1 »

Thank you so much guys, some food for thought. Just back from a work trip so going to start looking. Thanks again. 🙏🏼