MY2016 PDSL Headlight Woes

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Craigleith

Post by Craigleith »

Hi Folks! I've searched the forum and although there are semi-references to my issues, I thought I'd ask for some comprehansive help!

My issue:

Recently I noticed that my dipped headlights were shining very low and driving at night was becoming an issue. I knew that my rotary switch was problematic as the lights were acting weird from time to time; foglights sometimes worked, full headlights would come on on Auto, sidelights and main settings. I expected that replacing the rotary switch would cure all ails. So, I replaced the switch yesterday and the problems with the Auto/Side/Main all disappeared. Fog lights work reliably too.

However, the initial issue remains. The lens arrowed below does not activate at all, at any setting or any driving or turning.

MicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpeg

I looked at a couple of options further, so:

1. Checked the headlight main fuses and the 5Amp headlight control system fuse - All OK
2. The PDSL system appears to use the forward windscreen camera, so I made sure that it was working by testing the rain sensing through dripping some water on it. It worked fine.

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go next? The issue is common to both sides...

The only factor I can think of is that I had the wondscreen replaced recently but they did carry out a full calibration afterwards.

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

If you have bi-xenons, then those inner light units are dummies.

See this old post.....

viewtopic.php?t=4973
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Craigleith

Post by Craigleith »

Nooooooòoooo!!!!

That is unbelievable. Thankyou for saving me a lot of grief in thinking this would be a horrendous issue.

I'll just get the garage to check out the low light issue.

👍
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

SAC1 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:40 pm If you have bi-xenons, then those inner light units are dummies.

See this old post.....

viewtopic.php?t=4973
If they're Xenons, and you say that they are pointing too low then the level adjuster fuse could be blown.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
Craigleith

Post by Craigleith »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:17 pm
SAC1 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:40 pm If you have bi-xenons, then those inner light units are dummies.

See this old post.....

viewtopic.php?t=4973
If they're Xenons, and you say that they are pointing too low then the level adjuster fuse could be blown.
Do you know which one that is? I checked the 2 main + controller.

Cheers!
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Craigleith wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:19 pm
Bluesnose1812 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:17 pm

See this old post.....

viewtopic.php?t=4973
Do you know which one that is? I checked the 2 main + controller.

Cheers!
Normally when you turn on Xenons you see them self level. If they're not doing it then it could be the fuse or the levelling motors. If you have checked the fuse I would have thought the left and right would be independent of each other so it's unlikely that they would both fail at the same time. It could be one went then the other failed later, or the control unit is faulty.

I would take it to a local auto electrician.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479