New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
2japs

Post by 2japs »

lee1977 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:11 pm Thanks for all the responses based on these I will need to increase my budget and limit the search the OPC only.
Good plan, could save you money in the long run 👍
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)

DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

lee1977 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:11 pm Thanks for all the responses based on these I will need to increase my budget and limit the search the OPC only.
Or... you could buy privately, as I did with my 981 in 2015, IF it has a Porsche extended warranty on it already. Even then you may wish to have the seller take it to an OPC for a check over (at your cost - this is what I did) so as to check there are no issues the warranty wouldn't cover anyhow.

BUT... OPC checks tend to be cursory, just a money spinner, so with a private buy you may be best to have an independent engineer do a report. Even then you lose the opportunity to have a moan at the OPC DP when you're not happy. In our case, with so many issues after purchase, the DP at Wolverhampton took ownership of the problems and did an excellent job of sorting them all out whilst remaining charming. Their gold technician, Andy, was also excellent.

On balance I would recommend an OPC purchase. You pay more but you have a certain amount of peace of mind and comeback, plus some freebies.
However much you love the car when you find it don't grin like a Cheshire cat so as to let the salesman know. Look grim and ask what they'll do on price and start 5% under sticker price. Then once agreed on price add in loads of freebies too.

I tried this with the perfectly specced S I found (perfect for us) and failed miserably to budge the OPC much on price. Must have given the game away somehow. Having been in sales for 35 years I do like to be sold to though!
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

DJMCUK wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:51 pm
Or... you could buy privately, as I did with my 981 in 2015, IF it has a Porsche extended warranty on it already. Even then you may wish to have the seller take it to an OPC for a check over (at your cost - this is what I did) so as to check there are no issues the warranty wouldn't cover anyhow.

BUT... OPC checks tend to be cursory, just a money spinner, so with a private buy you may be best to have an independent engineer do a report. Even then you lose the opportunity to have a moan at the OPC DP when you're not happy. In our case, with so many issues after purchase, the DP at Wolverhampton took ownership of the problems and did an excellent job of sorting them all out whilst remaining charming. Their gold technician, Andy, was also excellent.

On balance I would recommend an OPC purchase. You pay more but you have a certain amount of peace of mind and comeback, plus some freebies.
However much you love the car when you find it don't grin like a Cheshire cat so as to let the salesman know. Look grim and ask what they'll do on price and start 5% under sticker price. Then once agreed on price add in loads of freebies too.

I tried this with the perfectly specced S I found (perfect for us) and failed miserably to budge the OPC much on price. Must have given the game away somehow. Having been in sales for 35 years I do like to be sold to though!
That’s me - I’m such a bad buyer!! 😂😂
Funny thing is I do it really well for other people like my son or wife, but when it comes to my own I’m an easy sale… 🫢
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
lee1977

Post by lee1977 »

what freebies would you advise are asked for?
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

Check you get a tank of fuel.
Check it has carpet mats.
Check for any paint blemishes - get them to smart repair. Ours had a bumper scratch and front inner door sill scratches/dents. All invisibly repaired.
Road tax.
Choice of boot liner, carpet mat, bumper flap (dogs?).
Bottle of fizz
Coloured leather keyrings
Travel mug
Phone charging cable.
Look at their 'shop' display and ask "could I get one of those...?"
2japs

Post by 2japs »

Jon A wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:04 pm

That’s me - I’m such a bad buyer!! 😂😂
Funny thing is I do it really well for other people like my son or wife, but when it comes to my own I’m an easy sale… 🫢
I’m exactly the same! As an ex sales and marketing manager I’m an easy sale and already buy into the deal 🤗

After many years in FMCG before early retirement, my first ethos was customer service was paramount, not sure that’s the same with all OPC’s 🤔
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
PJV997

Post by PJV997 »

If you are financing part of the purchase price, it’s worth looking at alternatives to Porsche whose APR is not attractive. For example, most banks will provide a personal loan up to £30K for under 6%. You might be surprised how much money is saved vs Porsche finance.

Apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs or you are buying cash.
Current fleet:
2023 Macan GTS
2018 BMW M6 GC
2023 Boxster GTS

Departed:
2017 Macan Turbo
2japs

Post by 2japs »

DJMCUK wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:44 pm Check you get a tank of fuel.
Check for any paint blemishes - get them to smart repair. Ours had a bumper scratch and front inner door sill scratches/dents. All invisibly repaired.
Road tax.
Bottle of fizz
Travel mug
Phone charging cable.
Yeah, along with the above throw in that Porsche chronograph, the gold one please 😄😄
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
lee1977

Post by lee1977 »

DJMCUK wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:44 pm Check you get a tank of fuel.
Road tax.
Bottle of fizz
Travel mug
Phone charging cable.
Thanks for the list I always try and get free stuff anyway and will have a look at the shop display as well, i have gotten tank of fuel, mats boot liner and umbrellas before.
lee1977

Post by lee1977 »

PJV997 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:53 pm
If you are financing part of the purchase price, it’s worth looking at alternatives to Porsche whose APR is not attractive. For example, most banks will provide a personal loan up to £30K for under 6%. You might be surprised how much money is saved vs Porsche finance.

Apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs or you are buying cash.
advice is good i was going with px and cash but based on advice about only going OPC or one with an existing porsche warranty I might finance part as i don’t want my savings to drop below a certain value plus some places offer a better deal if you take finance out, i did this previously on a range rover and paid the finance off without a penalty.
It will depend on the car i find and the deal to be done plus how long it takes me to find the one.