Different Tyres Fromt & Rear? Problem?

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Smokey99 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:45 pm For a few mins I thought that was very insightful advice about the spare wheel because it wasn’t in my initial configuration.

However, having just checked under the boot floor it must have been added late on.

Probably worth investing £25 on Amazon for a compressor to get me the short drive to the tyre shop.
Keep Michelins all round.

You owe it to your safety and to the car.

Go into the boot at pull the left trim away from the wheel arch, you should find an air compressor there.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

HertsMacan

Post by HertsMacan »

A new tyre has about 8mm of tread and the legal minimum is 1.6mm. Granted, the grip will reduce as the tread wears and personally I wouldn't go much below 2mm. That said, I would not be looking to replace tyres with 3.5mm - they're only 60% worn and have a good few thousand miles left on them. Of course Porsche will recommend you change them sooner, just as they recommend you change your pads and discs long before necessary, its how they make their money. Each to their own of course, just my view.
DJMCUK

Post by DJMCUK »

With ROSPA and Tyresafe recommending changing at 3mm, a tyre at 3.5mm is 90% worn.

Stopping distances in the wet increase with tyre wear. See;
https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/adv ... -depth.pdf

It's your choice to go lower than 3mm.
Your money. Your gamble.
RGS

Post by RGS »

I had Continentals from new, they were awful. The fronts wore much quicker than the rears and at 13k miles when they were down to 3mm I sacrificed the rears at 5 mm to get N2 Michelins all round, best tyres ever. My son sacrificed two Pirellis on his Cayman GTS for Michelins and swears by them.
Smokey99

Post by Smokey99 »

Appreciate all the comments fellas and after the initial financial shock to the system decided to replace both rear tyres with the incumbent P Zeros.

Booked through Halfords on-line fitting service which was the best combination of price and also offering mobile fitting options

So with the full service, insurance renewal and two new tyres that's around £2,750 I'll have spent in February just keeping it on the road. Ouch.
Macan S - Crayon Grey with lots of stuff

Your Porsche Code http://www.porsche-code.com/PNTSSA35

Previous: Audi S4 Avant; Octavia VRS Estate and many other hot hatches
Veraldan

Post by Veraldan »

As long as you stick with the same brand and model on each axle, you shouldn't notice much of a difference in how your car handles or performs. Yeah, there are some folks out there who are super strict about having all the same tires, but honestly, as long as they match up on each side, you should be good to go.