Sainsburys 97 octane super unleaded

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

AndyC160 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:53 pm Interesting article in Evo re pump fuel and Coryton sustain fuel.

They test three cars, one being a 992 GTS which is Evos long termer. I would have thought they'd run it on 97 at least, but no, they have it running on BP 95.

Manufacturer claim: 473bhp, 420lb ft
BP 95: 471.9bhp, 406.8lb ft

Nothing in it for the bhp. Torque slightly down but the reason for this is the claimed Manufacturer torque includes some overboost which the dyno doesn't can't register as the runs build from low revs.

Tests were done on Lichfields dyno, same as the one Porsche use.

So it looks like 95 doesn't have much of a negative affect on figures.

It would be interesting to see what the 992 made on Vpower.
How do they convert this Andy, assume they are measuring at the wheels where as Porsche figure will be at the crank??
This would align with the usual Porsche understatement as 471 at the wheels is closer to actual 530 (ish) at the crank??
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0

AndyC160

Post by AndyC160 »

Jon A wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:59 pm
AndyC160 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:53 pm Interesting article in Evo re pump fuel and Coryton sustain fuel.

They test three cars, one being a 992 GTS which is Evos long termer. I would have thought they'd run it on 97 at least, but no, they have it running on BP 95.

Nothing in it for the bhp. Torque slightly down but the reason for this is the claimed Manufacturer torque includes some overboost which the dyno doesn't can't register as the runs build from low revs.

How do they convert this Andy, assume they are measuring at the wheels where as Porsche figure will be at the crank??
This would align with the usual Porsche understatement as 471 at the wheels is closer to actual 530 (ish) at the crank??
They say the dyno at Lichfield is the same as Porsche use so I would have thought wherever the measurements are taken are the same.

Lichfield is Simon's second home so maybe he could shed some light? 😉
2021 Macan GTS Jet Black with Full Espresso Leather :D
2018 Macan in Agate grey (now sold)
Audi B5 RS4 - tweaked a little bit ;)
Lotus Elise S1 Sport 160
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

There is no correlation between power and octane. The base petrol is the exactly same. Octane additives determine the point at which predetonation will occur. So if an engine is tuned to 95RON putting in higher octane fuel has no effect whatsoever.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

AndyC160 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:26 pm
Jon A wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:59 pm

They say the dyno at Lichfield is the same as Porsche use so I would have thought wherever the measurements are taken are the same.

Lichfield is Simon's second home so maybe he could shed some light? 😉
Ha ha! I may spend quite a bit of time & money there, but the technical know how has not rubbed off! :lol:

I agree with Jon’s point that Porsche tend to understate their power outputs.

I also recall that Litchfield openly acknowledge that Shell V-Power for example, will produce more power on their dyno run than say bog standard supermarket unleaded.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:35 pm

There is no correlation between power and octane. The base petrol is the exactly same. Octane additives determine the point at which predetonation will occur. So if an engine is tuned to 95RON putting in higher octane fuel has no effect whatsoever.
Obviously first sentence is not correct as clearly there will be no power without Octane. Octane level determines the point at which detonation occurs, I’m not sure what ‘pre-detonation’ is. Modern engines will sense the point at which detonation is occurring and will retard the ignition to prevent it thus limiting power output. The engine manufacturer states the Octane level fuels that may be used in a given engine to allow design full power to be achieved without risk of detonation. It is true that using fuel of a higher Octane rating will not increase power above the design level. Conversely using fuel with an Octane level below the acceptable range for a given engine will result in less maximum power being produced due to retarded ignition which is protection the engine from damage caused by detonation.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:29 pm
Bluesnose1812 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:35 pm

Obviously first sentence is not correct as clearly there will be no power without Octane. Octane level determines the point at which detonation occurs, I’m not sure what ‘pre-detonation’ is. Modern engines will sense the point at which detonation is occurring and will retard the ignition to prevent it thus limiting power output. The engine manufacturer states the Octane level fuels that may be used in a given engine to allow design full power to be achieved without risk of detonation. It is true that using fuel of a higher Octane rating will not increase power above the design level. Conversely using fuel with an Octane level below the acceptable range for a given engine will result in less maximum power being produced due to retarded ignition which is protection the engine from damage caused by detonation.
+1 Wot he said

I meant increasing or decreasing the octane rating does not correlate to any increase or decrease in the power potential of the fuel.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479