Trickle charger connection

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
New User

Post by New User »

Peter , the 12V system has a few components under that fused terminal (11 in the diagram) including a power regulator (8 in the diagram) so I felt it safe to say that a CTEK inline fuse is not needed if going via the underbonnet terminal.

32C87605-5DB2-4F0E-BB73-52A37F6E6DC8.png

Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

On-Track wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:52 am
.... I must admit I'd always thought that jump starting involved higher currents than 15A at 12V but it looks as if I'm wrong (and not for the first time :D ).
The charging side is independent of the discharging side. You cannot charge a battery at 300A, the chemicals can't cope, but you can discharge it at that rate. It's like blowing up a balloon, slow puffs over 2 minutes to inflate, and deflation in seconds.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
Lenster

Post by Lenster »

Just purchased a Ctek MXS 5.0 battery minder. Can anyone definitively verify that I can use this with the cargo area cigar lighter on a 2022 Macan? Some say no it's not hot when vehicle is turn off and some say yes if you hook it up within 30 seconds of turning off the ignition.
Thanks
Len
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Lenster wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:54 pm Just purchased a Ctek MXS 5.0 battery minder. Can anyone definitively verify that I can use this with the cargo area cigar lighter on a 2022 Macan? Some say no it's not hot when vehicle is turn off and some say yes if you hook it up within 30 seconds of turning off the ignition.
Thanks
Len
It should be fine, assume it’s the same as the centre consul socket. I use a CTEK this way with my Gen 2 GTS, although the 12v socket will power down within I think app 10mins? The method is as follows….Switch the ignition on, connect the charger, turn the charger on, check its charging and then turn off the ignition.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Lenster

Post by Lenster »

MikeM wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:55 pm
Lenster wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:54 pm Just purchased a Ctek MXS 5.0 battery minder. Can anyone definitively verify that I can use this with the cargo area cigar lighter on a 2022 Macan? Some say no it's not hot when vehicle is turn off and some say yes if you hook it up within 30 seconds of turning off the ignition.
Thanks
Len
It should be fine, assume it’s the same as the centre consul socket. I use a CTEK this way with my Gen 2 GTS, although the 12v socket will power down within I think app 10mins? The method is as follows….Switch the ignition on, connect the charger, turn the charger on, check its charging and then turn off the ignition.
Thanks. But I heard they changed it on Gen 3. I'll probably just kook in up with eyelets to the changer posts under the hood and remove the eyelets before I bring it in for service so they don't complain about the warrenty.
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

The "cigar" lighter charger is located under the rubber pad in the centre console, you can utilise this power outlet to charge the battery as well, i have used ctek charger on my gen-3 GTS.
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange
fabmacan

Post by fabmacan »

It should be fine. I use a CTEK this way with my Gen 2 GTS, although the 12v socket will power down within I think app 10mins? The method is as follows….Switch the ignition on, connect the charger, turn the charger on, check its charging and then turn off the ignition.
Re OP comment, Yes they do stop charging, Step 7 indicates fully charged and Step 8 is pulsing (last light to the right) if this is what you are seeing fine. The 12v socket is part of the electrical circuit and power can flow both ways, so absolutely fine to use it
2023 Macan GTS
Gulf Orange