Surround View

All your ordering information here!
Liftsagift

Post by Liftsagift »

Hi guys. Thanks for the very useful info on the seats. One further question. I have narrow garage doors and wonder how useful surround view might be to get into the garage. Will it still work with the mirrors folded? Also how useful is it for general parking to get close to the kerb?
Tks

Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi guys. Thanks for the very useful info on the seats. One further question. I have narrow garage doors and wonder how useful surround view might be to get into the garage. Will it still work with the mirrors folded?  Also how useful is it for general parking to get close to the kerb?

Tks

Don't have surround view but if you spec comfort or sports seats (or memory pack on standard) the n/s door mirror folds down and in giving a great view if the kerb for parking.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Blighty46

Post by Blighty46 »

I have been using surround view for a couple of months now - not too helpful for narrow garage doors mainly due to the on screen amber and red warning cones obscuring the view but also too close to call for my garage. It does operate with the mirrors folded but the image is distorted.

That's the downsides out of the way - for general parking and manoeuvring it is an extremely useful aid - best when there are white (car park) lines which show clearly and with time you get to know how they line up with your particular Macan. Also useful on my drive where I can clearly see 'hidden' flower tubs on the drive and when I do my turnaround into my turning head I can clearly see my car in relation to the edge of the drive etc.

A brilliant bit of kit, so glad I specced it and would do so again with less trepidation than the first time.
911 GT3
Macan GTS
spook

Post by spook »

My problem was also narrow garage doors:
We recently moved to a new build house with detached garage , builder fitted a manual up and over standard garage door (we had paid for electric) and padded the gap between frame and pillars with wood. This made the entrance too tight for our current RRE. Therefore we got our money back ( non fitment of electric door) and had a electric roller garage door fitted behind the pillars giving maximum entrance.

So to help reverse park in the garage at night I'm going for the reversing camera and fitting led strips to the garage floor. So we can line the reversing screen display lines to the Leds , fold mirrors and know it's OK.

We have reversed a Macan ( mirrors out) in our garage ( 1st test drive) in daylight, goes in no problems but its a bit tight it will be much harder in the dark so we are going for camera and not surround.

911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
Liftsagift

Post by Liftsagift »

Thanks Spook that's great thinking. I have a well lit garage so might look at just a painted line on the garage floor?Smile
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I haven't got surround view but am an "expert" with narrow garage doors - my door opening is 2140 wide. I reverse in with mirrors out and then put mirrors in when driving out. The parking sensors are not happy - but you just have to ignore them.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I haven't got surround view but am an "expert" with narrow garage doors <span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">- my door opening is </span><b style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">2140 wide. <span style="line-height: 16.7999992370605px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">I reverse in with mirrors out and then put mirrors in when driving out. The parking sensors are not happy - but you just have to ignore them.</span>

Or switch them off....as I find myself doing more and more - I find them really intrusive and they come on far too often....coming out if my drive past the gates, down country lanes, even in the local High St past parked cars!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Macanmark

Post by Macanmark »

I have been using surround view for a couple of months now - not too helpful for narrow garage doors mainly due to the on screen amber and red warning cones obscuring the view but also too close to call for my garage.  It does operate with the mirrors folded but the image is distorted.   

That's the downsides out of the way - for general parking and manoeuvring it is an extremely useful aid - best when there are white (car park) lines which show clearly and with time you get to know how they line up with your particular Macan.   Also useful on my drive where I can clearly see 'hidden' flower tubs on the drive and when I do my turnaround into my turning head I can clearly see my car in relation to the edge of the drive etc.

A brilliant bit of kit, so glad I specced it and would do so again with less trepidation than the first time.

+1
Macan Turbo picked up 23/5/2015. Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PFT7E1L8
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

I initially wanted to get surround and was talked out of it by my OPC (not sure why, he must have felt that real lads don't need it) but now I really wish I had specced it. The Macan is or at least feels like a wide car and when parking being able to see the white lines left, right and in front would be extremely helpful. It will for sure be in my next Macan.
spook

Post by spook »

Surround would be great for Off Road as you would be able to see ruts and rocks and be able to steer around them !!!

911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(