Bike Carrier Photo - Atera Strada

Post pictures of your Macan here!
Funrider

Post by Funrider »

I can recommend the Atera Strada DL bike carrier - I bought the 2 bike version, but an extra adaptor converts it to 3 bikes.
I had always been sceptical of how stable the "clamps onto towball only" carriers were - but have been very happy with this one fitted on the Macan retractable towball.
Had been a Thule buyer for years and years - roof bars & 4x cycle carriers on my XC90 etc - but the Atera is light(ish), and easily folds small(ish) to easily fit inside the Macan boot.

2016 Macan Turbo Jet Black PPF /Saddle Brown full leather/Walnut 18way heated Pano Connect +2 Surround cameras Air/PASM 21 Black Classics /20 SportDesign
2015 SD Macan sold 3yr/54k. Sapphire
Past: Mexico Mk1, 205GTI (3x),Integrale 8v, Scooby Impreza STI,

Funrider

Post by Funrider »

Oh - and a foot operated "catch" near the number plate allows it to tilt downwards (with bikes still on) so you can open the rear hatch
2016 Macan Turbo Jet Black PPF /Saddle Brown full leather/Walnut 18way heated Pano Connect +2 Surround cameras Air/PASM 21 Black Classics /20 SportDesign
SPL

Post by SPL »

Very nice - I went with the Thule and it's a lovely bit of kit also. Photo here;
http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/tow-ball-connector_topic1446_page2.html

I wanted to make sure I could take 4 bikes but my wife just told me she never wants to go on a bike again.. Shocked owing to the last time I took her the track was a bit rough... this track..

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/loch-muick.shtml

Tongue
Diesel S Ordered 07/12/2013 - Delivered 29/01/15 - Sold 15/06/16.
New Range Rover Vogue arrived 21/07/16.
http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/shouldnt-swear-land-rover_topic4142.html
Battlecherry

Post by Battlecherry »

Interesting Funrider, I've just sold my XC90 ready for March pick up, is there any comparison?
Basil

Post by Basil »

I got the same one, liked the idea that as most of the time I will only have two bikes on I keep it as small and light as possible and just add the third bike adapted when I need it. It's as solid as anything when it is locked in place. I wouldn't swear on it but I think as well that if you accidentally press the button to open the boot it won't let you to prevent damage.
StuK

Post by StuK »

Looks similar to mine (car and carrier).

I've got the 3 bike version with the adapter to increase it to 4. I've only carried 3 on it though.
SPL

Post by SPL »

I wouldn't swear on it but I think as well that if you accidentally press the button to open the boot it won't let you to prevent damage.

Correct! The connection for electrics must be connected. Not just the tow bar deployed.Thumbs Up
SPL

Post by SPL »

Looks similar to mine (car and carrier).

I've got the 3 bike version with the adapter to increase it to 4. I've only carried 3 on it though.

Skinny bikes. Not easy trying to get three mountain bikes on..
A friend said to me (as a tip) it's easier to put the smallest bike on first (closest to the car) so they all fit on better and he is right. But it says in the handbook - that the smallest (lightest) bike should go on last, at the back, which makes sense.
Funrider

Post by Funrider »

Hi SPL - I envy your fabulous scenery for mountain biking ! Things are a little.... tame... here in Wiltshire.
You'll have to try and tempt your wife back in the saddle with a route that involves a nice pub lunch / tea and cakes !

Hi Battlecherry - comparisons to the XC90?
Well, we loved our D5 XC90 - kept it 8 years from new,100+k miles, most comfortable leather seats ever, surprisingly quick when pushed hard (ours was rare manual), memorable drive Calais to Germany through the night (then Austria the next morning) 5 up at 90-100 all the way...

Macan - fantastic SPORTS utility vehicle - far far less body roll, even before engaging Sports mode (I have PASM), smaller (obviously) but feels even smaller / more intimate - you sat "on" the XC90, you sit down "in" the Macan (its large central console took a little acclimatisation), faster/more secure, no wheel scrabble at quick-exit junctions (I don't have launch control LOLLOL), far less prone to buffeting in motorway cross winds so more stable/relaxed .. just fantastic - I hope you love yours too !