Using a trolley jack MY16 Macan S Diesel

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Hi Steve
There is a Porsche Jack adaptor available from Design 911UK for use on all modern Porsches. The Macan isn't listed, but that could be because it is a new mode. They will tell you if it can be used on your P & J.

Thumbs Up
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I removed my wheels using a trolley jack and just used a piece of wood between the trolley jack and the jacking point just to prevent it from getting damaged. Any wood would probably do but I used a scrap piece of hard wood.

It's probably not perfect but worked just fine.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I haven't got my Macan yet or even looked underneath one yet, but I do drive a poor mans Cayenne, a Touageg, which is identical underneath as far a jacking points are concerned. My jacking points are also covered in plastic, which is there I believe to stop the metal sill / jacking point being damaged by metal jack saddles. I have swapped wheels a few times now and simply just put the jack below the plastic cover and lift away. Never have had an issues and the plastic shows no ill effects after either. Just be sure your jacks up to the weight as even the lighter Macan is no VW polo.

Do you use a trolley jack, and if so what type of saddle does it have? I've seen on the US site a saddle with a flat plate and a thick, grooved rubber pad riveted to it. Looks handy for avoiding damage. But from what you say it seems Porsche have thought of that and provided the plastic 'guards'.

Do you do one wheel at a time using the trolley jack or do you jack the whole vehicle up on axle stands. If so, where do you place the axle stands?

Nick, I have Sealey 3250LE trolley jack, low entry to get underneath the Boxster, and a high weight rating to lift the Touareg. It has a mild steel saddle with a rubber centre, but to be honest its the saddle edge that does most of the lifting. I generally only lift one wheel at a time although I have axle stands but would find a more substantial suspension part to put them under rather than the sill jacking position if I were to use them.
As for the jacking bucks mentioned by someone else, I doubt the standard Porsche type would adapt to the Macan as I made a couple for use with the Boxster but they are no use on the Touareg lift points. The Boxster lift points are recessed into the sill area a bit so without the bucks a normal trolley jack saddle would lift on the surrounding components and not the jacking point. On the Touareg the jacking point sits a little proud so making it accessible by the standard saddle.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Good stuff, thanks Rab J.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

No way on earth would I use a trolley jack on any jacking point.
Even if you put in a piece of wood or any other material on top of the jack plate the fact remains that where you jack the car has a design load point specific to the Porsche jack.
Using anything else on the jacking points is risking damaging the body work.
Trolley jacks are intended to lift the body via bottom suspension arms or engine cross members or rear axles and not sill jack points.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Retired

Post by Retired »

Have happily used a trolley jack on previous MB,BMW and Audi to change wheels using a 'Jack Pad Adapter'. Flat bottom surface to sit on the jack and a top surface shaped to fit into the jacking point.

Trouble is I can't find such an item for a Macan.

Got the jack pads from:

http://www.reverselogic.us/jack-pads.html

Beautifully made things.

Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

I spoke to 911Design and they can't see any reason why the adaptor is not suitable for the Macan as all other Porsche models have the same jacking points. I have ordered an adaptor for my 2015 Cayenne S and will compare and photograph the under-sill jacking points on my son's Macan when he visits us this afternoon.
Meanwhile, for comparison, this is the standard Porsche jacking point on my Cayenne.

Mistertoad2016-04-09 11:32:35
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
Retired

Post by Retired »

Feeling around a jacking point it would need something (semi) cylindrical topped by a round locator which is central relative to the long side of the cylinder but offset to align with one side of the cylinders diameter.

Looking at jack pads for 911s, boxters etc this seems quite different. They are circular with a central locator.
Retired

Post by Retired »

Mistertoad,

Much better than my description. The macan jacking point point 'feels' like your picture.
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

In which case the 911Design adaptor will fit Thumbs Up

2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S