Macan Steel Suspension/exhaust Issues

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
Skatefarmer

Post by Skatefarmer »

Hi Guys,

Last week I purchased a 2015 Porsche Macan S Petrol v6 340hp in Grey. It has the 20' Spyder alloys, standard Steel suspension, 18-way comfort seats and PASM fitted. It has done 18k miles and is due its first Service at 20k.

I have noticed a slight issue with the suspension. When I am on the bumpy local back roads it seems fine, although its very firm even on comfort, but once I get to a smooth road or motorway I can feel some sort of very slight high frequency vibration in the car.

It is very subtle, but I can feel it just a tiny bit in my seat, and on the accelerator pedal. Its like a little added vibration to the ride which feels like it should not be there. The ride is also more firm than I was expecting in comfort mode, you really can feel every bump in the road right through the seat. Has anyone else noticed this sort of vibration with their Macan? Could the tyres just be needing balanced?

One more thing, only 3 of the 4 quad exhausts are firing. The 3 are black inside from fumes and you can feel air when you turn on the engine and rev, but the other 1 has no air coming from it at all? And it is completely silver inside as there have obviously not been any fumes in it to make it black like the other 3?

Any advice is much appreciated, I look forward to being an active member on this forum as a new Macan owner!

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

Take the car back to the dealer for them to check the issues out.

Also what wheel size do you have, size matters for handling but its cost is a harsher ride and more road noise.

That said even with all the PASM lights on the ride should still be way better than a Beamer on M or an Audi with their Sport suspension.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Skatefarmer

Post by Skatefarmer »

Thank you for the response.

As I said the Alloys are 20' Spyder,

Problem is I bought it from a small time dealer, he buys and sells from his house it was not a Porsche dealership. I doubt he will do much If I go back to him.

The car is still in warranty until 2017 though. I assume the exhaust should definitely be firing out of all 4 then?

Thanks
stallturn

Post by stallturn »

As has been advised, take it to a Porsche dealer. The car is still under warranty, so they should be happy to look into your issues.
Having said that, I had the same issue with a subtle, but constant, vibration through the throttle pedal of my Macan S petrol.. I could also feel it through my feet in the passenger footwell when not driving.
I took it to two Porsche dealerships and, despite extensive investigation (loosening and re-tightening engine mounts, heat-shield & exhaust tightening), it was returned to me with the vibration still there.
The reaction from Porsche technicians ranged from "They all do that, Sir" to "I can't feel anything".
It has to be said that my wife cannot feel it either.
So, I've resigned myself to having very sensitive feet, and I've got used to driving what is a fabulous car.
steve w

Post by steve w »

When spending large amounts of cash on a vehicle I Always purchase from the brands dealership,like Skatefarmer says if there anything wrong he can't see the seller doing much .

SteveW
DougalDC

Post by DougalDC »

in a section of the north part of the M25, for about 5 miles, the road surface creates a vibration that seems to resonate through parts of my SD, its quite an odd sound and feeling, and certainly seems to come more from the car than from the road. but this is the only place it ever happens, just that stretch of the M25.
PHJD8AA5 GTS
Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

I know the section of the M25 that you're talking about DougalDC. I experienced it during a test drive in a Macan with 21" wheels and ruled out 21" wheels immediately because of it. The steering felt like I was holding a pneumatic drill.
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Back wheel out of balance? A 20" wheel doesn't need to be out much before it gives a vibration as the speed rises. Always look for the simplest thing first??
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Sim_Nugget

Post by Sim_Nugget »

in a section of the north part of the M25, for about 5 miles, the road surface creates a vibration that seems to resonate through parts of my SD, its quite an odd sound and feeling, and certainly seems to come more from the car than from the road. but this is the only place it ever happens, just that stretch of the M25.

I was on the southern stretch of the M25 last weekend for the first time. My car is a turbo with 20" Spyders and on the concrete section there was a brutal vibration right through the whole car at 76mph. Really bad, felt like the door panels and dash were about to break up - change of speed stopped it but it was shockingly bad, but like when you have the windows open at the wrong speed and the buffeting goes crazy inside the car.

I just put it down to a Macanism.

Regards the exhaust - many brands have dummy tailpipe finishers, I think the Turbo has switchable outer tailpipes as the inner ones definitely get blacker but all 4 have a black inner piper before the square tailpipe.

S
2017 Turbo - Night Blue / Expresso
BMW M2
MacFresh

Post by MacFresh »

Seeing it happening to 21" and 20" wheels on "sections" of M25, surely the road must the issue or you would hear it everywhere and size not the issue. Some new sections of very black tarmac on certain roads make the car completely silent making me wish all roads were like that, also absorb all the rain. Other older light grey sections, very noisy and prone to aqua planning. It might not be the car the culprit...skatefarmer sounds like other serious issues though.
PART X SD http://www.porsche-code.com/PHXAU6Q8 , delivered Aug16
CANCELLED GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PHCYY790 , delivery Mar17
NOW Panamera D 300hp 2015