Xenon Vs LED

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Sonic5

Post by Sonic5 »

Does anyone have a side by side photo of Xenons / LEDs?

Do both sets of lights have the four spot running lights?

I know it's *only* another £400 for the LED, but I have to stop somewhere!

Paul

Post by Paul »

Both get the 4 spot LED daylight running lights, I had xenons on my SD and paid the £400 for full LED on my GTS......a blueyer, whityer light (!) but the xenons are absolutely fine driving wise. Looks wise the LEDs are " cooler" but as you say, you've got to stop somewhere!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
EviL Ras

Post by EviL Ras »

The LED is shown as "PDSL+" whereas the Bi-Xenon are "PDSL".

I think people with it say its just whiter, but no brighter than the Bi-Xenon. Personally i'm saving the cost and getting the GTS Bi-Xenon! Both have the 4 spot LED concept.

Porsche say:

Lighting concept

LED main headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus).

Available as an option, these new LED main headlights including PDLS Plus are distinguished by their unmistakable look, characterised by style-defining four-point LED spotlights. The luminous power of the headlights helps to provide optimum illumination of the road at all times. In addition to the dynamic and static cornering light function and speedsensitive headlight range control - both integrated as standard - the adverse weather function is another essential feature.

The Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus) also includes dynamic main beam control and the Intersection Assistant for better illumination of your surroundings, so you see what's going on around you all the sooner.

Daytime running lights

Daytime running lights are standard on all models. On cars with halogen headlights, this function is implemented by the inner headlight. On cars with Bi-Xenon main headlights, the stunning light source is four LED spotlights in each headlight. The benefit is clear. If other road users can see you better, daytime driving becomes a safer experience.

Bi-Xenon main headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)

The Bi-Xenon main headlights feature automatic and dynamic range control, which provides uniform illumination of the road whether dipped or main beam is selected. The dynamic cornering light function swivels the headlights towards the inside of a bend based on the steering angle and road speed. The static cornering lights activate the auxiliary headlights so as to light up more of the road at tight bends and turns. Put simply, a greater part of the road ahead is illuminated the moment you enter a bend.

Ultra-exclusive accents are added by the optionally available Bi-Xenon main headlights in black including PDLS. On the Macan GTS, the inner trims are also finished in black.

Standard in the Macan GTS. Optional for all Macan models.

Daytime running lights

Daytime running lights are standard on all models. On cars with halogen headlights, this function is implemented by the inner headlight. On cars with Bi-Xenon main headlights, the stunning light source is four LED spotlights in each headlight. The benefit is clear. If other road users can see you better, daytime driving becomes a safer experience.

EviL Ras2016-10-06 14:13:47
Carmine and Partial Garnet GTS Delivered Jan 17' www.porsche-code.com/PHE2IGH7
Our collection video - https://youtu.be/B-HvzRYztqc
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yes, I'd forgotten the "+" bit with the LED, the auto high beam is quite clever....but a bit like auto wipers....it comes on or off just a split second before, or after you would do it manually! Yoy also get both fog kamos coming on at junctions which is clever too.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
LLL

Post by LLL »

LED headlights - one of my favorite options on my Macan. Why?

- Intersection lights are AMAZING (static cornering lights). They light up the street so wide that it is crazy. Ones you seen this feature you're glad you optioned for the LED. Bi-xenons does not have any intersection lights at all and there is an extra LED bulb that lights up the side of the road. This is also a safety thing because you can spot children, animals, etc much easier since the spread of the light on the sides are much wider than Bi-xenons produce. Apparently many in here have not seen this feature "live". Maybe due to that it has been summer and not so much driving in the dark yet with the MY17 macans....
- The LED's are a tad bit brighter than Bi-xenon (even if not much), but more important - The kelvin temperature produced by LED are easier for the eye if driving in the dark (just google it)
- Full beam lights are (to my eye) MUCH more powerful than Bi-Xenons. The high beam is where it is noticable difference.
- Headlights looks much more modern than Bi-xenon. Both turned on and turned off.
giving a better road visibility
- 4-dot DRL are in a different design. The bi-xenon are tiny round dots, the LED 4-dots are bigger/rectangular and give more presense on the road during daytime running.
- Never have to change bulbs for the lifetime of the car and they consume less power.

So, if you read these plus points, can anyone say this option is not worth it? On the GTS they cost almost the same as colored seatbelts Big smile. I would even get them for the expensive price if I ordered a Macan S.

Executive summary: Just get them!

Luke2016-10-06 15:53:20
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

I have to echo Lukes thoughts there.

They are absolutely amazing, look v.cool too. First box ticked for Macan 2 for me, I'd never go back now.

BigPhil.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
LLL

Post by LLL »

To illustrate the for the 4-dot DRL

LED:

Bi-Xenon DRL:

TD444

Post by TD444 »

LED headlights - one of my favorite options on my Macan. Why?

- Intersection lights are AMAZING (static cornering lights). They light up the street so wide that it is crazy. Ones you seen this feature you're glad you optioned for the LED. Bi-xenons does not have any intersection lights at all and there is an extra LED bulb that lights up the side of the road. This is also a safety thing because you can spot children, animals, etc much easier since the spread of the light on the sides are much wider than Bi-xenons produce. Apparently many in here have not seen this feature "live". Maybe due to that it has been summer and not so much driving in the dark yet with the MY17 macans....
- The LED's are a tad bit brighter than Bi-xenon (even if not much), but more important - The kelvin temperature produced by LED are easier for the eye if driving in the dark (just google it)
- Full beam lights are (to my eye) MUCH more powerful than Bi-Xenons. The high beam is where it is noticable difference.
- Headlights looks much more modern than Bi-xenon. Both turned on and turned off.
giving a better road visibility
- 4-dot DRL are in a different design. The bi-xenon are tiny round dots, the LED 4-dots are bigger/rectangular and give more presense on the road during daytime running.
- Never have to change bulbs for the lifetime of the car and they consume less power.

So, if you read these plus points, can anyone say this option is not worth it? On the GTS they cost almost the same as colored seatbelts Big smile. I would even get them for the expensive price if I ordered a Macan S.

Executive summary: Just get them!

Ditto to the above - I drive a fair bit at night so these were always going to be an option and I think they are great - even though I had to pay full wack for the option, it was still worth it for me....
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHN2UAS9
Order Date 16 Nov - Expected delivery ~April / May 2016
Collected Tue 3rd May
EviL Ras

Post by EviL Ras »

Welp, we've already locked down, so it'll be the Bi-Xenon PDSL for us. Sure they'll do just fine, and coming from the TT Bi-Xenon, it'll be nice to get the dynamic stuff and the intersection lights. Albeit without whiter light and fogs at junctions!
Carmine and Partial Garnet GTS Delivered Jan 17' www.porsche-code.com/PHE2IGH7
Our collection video - https://youtu.be/B-HvzRYztqc
wizard

Post by wizard »

I changed my bi xenons to leds with the retrofit kit.

In my view

1) The light is whiter and easier on the eyes when driving.
2) I don't think they are any brighter.
3) The lights themselves look cooler :)

Am I happy? Yes

It's a personal call, don't expect lights that are amazingly brighter :)

wizard2016-10-07 21:12:24
Delivered May 2015

http://www.porsche-code.com/PF14VLL5