Porsche slow to BEV Macan

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I have never tried a Taycan Turbo S but given my GTS is ridiculously fast I can only imagine it’s totally not needed. A Taycan does demand a lot of respect and self control.

EngineerMK

Post by EngineerMK »

wab172uk wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:44 am
bennachie wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:31 am Come on Porsche. Why the delay. I need a BEV Macan now, not in 2 years time. Parent VW have got ID3, 4, GTX all out now, sister Audi has the e-tron Q4 - all of which I believe are flawed in a variety of ways.

Come on chaps; extract the digit. You original launch was slated for 2021..........................
Interesting article by Richard Meaden in this months EVO.

Manufacturers are struggling with the whole EV concept. It usually takes years to develop a new car, but throughout development ICE remain pretty similar.

Now they are developing cars that even before development is completed the Battery tech is out of date. They are constantly chasing their tales, and being Porsche, they want their car to be better than a 500bhp MG EV for less than half the price.
It’s not just the many years development and test time needed for a new model. it’s also the the fact you have a factory set up to make ICE cars and a supply line that match it. switching to BEV is also a big investment for the manufacturing plant (BMW have just announced £600million investment in oxford to make Electric Mini at the current ICE mini factory)
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Skyway wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:30 am
bennachie wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:31 am Come on Porsche. Why the delay. I need a BEV Macan now, not in 2 years time. Parent VW have got ID3, 4, GTX all out now, sister Audi has the e-tron Q4 - all of which I believe are flawed in a variety of ways.

Come on chaps; extract the digit. You original launch was slated for 2021..........................

Manufacturers are struggling with the whole EV concept. It usually takes years to develop a new car, but throughout development ICE remain pretty similar.

Now they are developing cars that even before development is completed the Battery tech is out of date. They are constantly chasing their tales, and being Porsche, they want their car to be better than a 500bhp MG EV for less than half the price.
I think you've hit the nail on the head here. The performamnce of EVs is so good (quick) that this is not gonna be much of a selling point for Porsches or any other perfomance car. They are going to have to find something other than just the badge and 0-60 to make it worthwhile spending all that money on a Macan EV. I saw a Tesla model 3 put it's foot down joining a motorway the other day and I seriously don't think many ICE cars could have got close to it. The insurance companies are gonna have a field day with EVs too!!!
Try driving any taycan and either the Tesla model 3 or Y of any flavour and you will realise there is a lot different than just the badge. EV technology has meant Kia etc can do amazing 0-60 times but the taycan is a joy to drive and a completely different experience to the teslas which represent much better value for money.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

MCDK wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:26 pm I have never tried a Taycan Turbo S but given my GTS is ridiculously fast I can only imagine it’s totally not needed. A Taycan does demand a lot of respect and self control.
Totally agree. I have the slowest 911 you can buy and find myself having to exert a lot of self control as the thing is ridiculously fast - Taycan TS would be almost unusable as a car to press on with I imagine…
First Sea Lord said similar about a 911 Turbo S he drove recently, and he drives a GT3!!
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

EngineerMK wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:41 pm

It’s not just the many years development and test time needed for a new model. it’s also the the fact you have a factory set up to make ICE cars and a supply line that match it. switching to BEV is also a big investment for the manufacturing plant (BMW have just announced £600million investment in oxford to make Electric Mini at the current ICE mini factory)
Using our money too....

Screenshot_20230911_205514_BBC News.jpg

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ I can think of worse things for our taxpayers’ money to be spent on. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:21 pm ^^^ I can think of worse things for our taxpayers’ money to be spent on. ;)
Yeah…..MP’s come to mind!! 🤣🤣
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:57 pm
EngineerMK wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:41 pm

Using our money too....

Screenshot_20230911_205514_BBC News.jpg
Far better to subsidise UK jobs than to give Billions in Aid to India who then send Rockets to the Moon.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags