Clack clack clack clack clack

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Cutter7

Post by Cutter7 »

Hi,
I am having exactly the same issues with my macan - on turning right with a fair amount of acceleration from standstill, seems to be more prominent on a slight gradient , but once wheel straight over 2-3 k revs seems ok, car drives perfect? What was your conclusion? (Is now becoming a pain)

Many thanks
Chris

GWL

Post by GWL »

Cutter7 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:21 pm Hi,
I am having exactly the same issues with my macan - on turning right with a fair amount of acceleration from standstill, seems to be more prominent on a slight gradient , but once wheel straight over 2-3 k revs seems ok, car drives perfect? What was your conclusion? (Is now becoming a pain)

Many thanks
Chris
It was front drive shafts / CV joints - see 1st page of this post. Had them replaced, no more noise.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
Cutter7

Post by Cutter7 »

Thanks.. sorry just noticed this.
Glad all sorted.👍🏻
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Same sort of noise here on my 2017 SD. Porsche Indy says transfer case and OPC says possible CV joint. I’ve had the noise for three plus years and it’s intermittent. Not sure what to do.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
GWL

Post by GWL »

Tom 2000 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:55 pm Same sort of noise here on my 2017 SD. Porsche Indy says transfer case and OPC says possible CV joint. I’ve had the noise for three plus years and it’s intermittent. Not sure what to do.
Does the noise occur under the same circumstances as I encountered? (car cold, pulling off quickly from standstill with hard right turn) ?
In my case, the OPC (Reading) was fairly sure it was the driveshafts. I got them replaced by the OPC and the problem went away. Cost was approx £1500 in July 2022.
You could/should get it done cheaper at an indy. I had it done at the OPC because my (3rd party) warranty was paying.

I'd get it looked at somewhere sooner rather than later - you don't want a driveshaft failing as you're heading down a motorway.
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Hot or cold, pulling away to the right. It will continue if I circle.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Tom 2000 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:55 pm Same sort of noise here on my 2017 SD. Porsche Indy says transfer case and OPC says possible CV joint. I’ve had the noise for three plus years and it’s intermittent. Not sure what to do.
The transfer case on my 2016 SD, manifested itself beyond all reasonable doubt, was when it went in reverse up a tight twisting slope, and streering at the same time, in a multi story car park. The noise and vibration coming from the centre tunnel area, was unbelieveable. That truly showed it was the transfer case, which was at fault.
You might give that a try.