Acoustic Insulating Glass - Measurements

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
New User

Post by New User »

I have been looking for some facts to help me understand the impact of the Thermal and Acoustic Insulating Glass option that I have decided to spec following some positive reviews and to satisfy my inner geek.

Not much detail on the main Automotive Glass sites but the manufacturer of the interlayer film has put up some interesting information. I have no idea if this is the same film used in the Porsche glass option but assume that most suppliers will have a similar performance.

A noise reduction of 6-12 dB in the spectrum most sensitive to noise looks very worthwhile considering 3dB represents a halving of noise.

I have not seen the Thermal measurements other than cutting UV by 99% but assume that is on top of the normal glass coatings.

26CFC83B-8C4F-4ACB-BB35-3F016765CF9F.png

Percymon

Post by Percymon »

My limited experience says the most in cabin noise comes from the tyres and/or engine dependent upon revs - probably more noise suppression to be gained by some better noise insulation in the footwell/arch areas.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Putting my Pro Engineer hat on I suggest that you speak to your SE and ask them for a copy of Porsche’s test results for a Macan with and without AIG and see what happens.

Inside the Macan is pretty quiet but not as quiet as a £60k+ car should be.

Most of the internal noise in a Macan is tyre related and even without using a sound meter the difference in internal noise caused by tyres does vary quite a bit depending upon wheel size.

Wind noise is also a factor which again is more than it should be and most of that relates to door seals.

I would question the results of the tests that you post and I would presume that they have used measurement techniques to favour their products and to exclude internal noise generated by vibrations and seals.

Best way to see and hear is to test drive a Macan with AIG back to back with one without.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:51 pm Putting my Pro Engineer hat on I suggest that you speak to your SE and ask them for a copy of Porsche’s test results for a Macan with and without AIG and see what happens.

Inside the Macan is pretty quiet but not as quiet as a £60k+ car should be.

Most of the internal noise in a Macan is tyre related and even without using a sound meter the difference in internal noise caused by tyres does vary quite a bit depending upon wheel size.

Wind noise is also a factor which again is more than it should be and most of that relates to door seals.

I would question the results of the tests that you post and I would presume that they have used measurement techniques to favour their products and to exclude internal noise generated by vibrations and seals.

Best way to see and hear is to test drive a Macan with AIG back to back with one without.
I test drove a Tesla Model 3 with double glazing and I can't say as it made it especially quiet.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I have the thermal and noise insulating glass on my GTS (as I had on the SD and Cayenne before it). The only, non scientific test I've been able to conduct is driving a loan Macan without this option over the same route as I've driven my car (the SD as it happens) and noticing how much noisier the tyre roar was in the loan car.

We're all of us guilty to a greater or lesser extent of promoting the choices we've made but it was that "test" that made me include the option on my GTS.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
davlewis

Post by davlewis »

My X3 has the acoustic glass and it is very quiet even with 21” run flats. That being said on my test drive I didn’t find the Macan to be loud hence I haven’t added it to my spec.
- Macan Volcano Grey / Bordeaux Red Interior
- First time Porsche Owner
pmg

Post by pmg »

with the Macan option there are three advantages

less noise

cooler car when left in the sun

better security due to lamination
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
New User

Post by New User »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:51 pm I would question the results of the tests that you post and I would presume that they have used measurement techniques to favour their products and to exclude internal noise generated by vibrations and seals.
I have no doubt that transmission through the glass represents only a fraction of the noise entering the car but was looking for a bit more background as there is not a lot of data out there about where the main benefit is. It is not a critical spec item for me but thought it worth sharing some insight even if it does not tell the full story.
Lanmate

Post by Lanmate »

pmg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:52 pm with the Macan option there are three advantages

less noise

I think less noise is a disadvantage and why I didn't spec the acoustic glass, one of my favourite things on a GTS test drive was the noise when PSE was active in Sport/Sport+.
Gen3 GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PPRAXAE8

Ordered 11th Aug 2021, Arrived OPC 7th Oct 2022, Collected 9th Dec 2022
pmg

Post by pmg »

Lanmate wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:11 pm
pmg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:52 pm with the Macan option there are three advantages

less noise

I think less noise is a disadvantage and why I didn't spec the acoustic glass, one of my favourite things on a GTS test drive was the noise when PSE was active in Sport/Sport+.
That is where we are at opposite ends of the pole., noise (unless music or conservation) is just wasted energy and a nuisance
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8