Genuine Smoked Rear Lights

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Craig87

Post by Craig87 »

So im a bit baffled as a new Porsche owner and thought id get everyones opinion and thoughts.

I purchased a used 2020 Macan Turbo from OPC Portsmouth, couldn't be more delighted with the car, and overall am very happy with the service I received.

At the time, I wanted the smoked rear lights and black badges, and struck a 'handshake' deal with the salesman that he would 'do me a good price' on the parts.

Ive just got the quote from him, and its over £2.5k fitted, of which he said he could get me £200 discounted....

However, if I go on Design911 the same parts are under £1100 inc VAT with the black PORSCHE centre logo.

So, I spoke with the OPC, and said "Come on is that really the best price you can do, I want to use you but im not paying that much?" and told him I could buy the official parts online for much less and would he then fit them. Unsurprisingly, he told me they would refuse to fit them unless I purchased the parts through them.

So, what's everyones thoughts? Have you purchased through Design 911? Im expecting I could get a Porsche independent to fit them for me for Labour costs.

Deleted User 4436

Post by Deleted User 4436 »

Craig87 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:10 pm So im a bit baffled as a new Porsche owner and thought id get everyones opinion and thoughts.

I purchased a used 2020 Macan Turbo from OPC Portsmouth, couldn't be more delighted with the car, and overall am very happy with the service I received.

At the time, I wanted the smoked rear lights and black badges, and struck a 'handshake' deal with the salesman that he would 'do me a good price' on the parts.

Ive just got the quote from him, and its over £2.5k fitted, of which he said he could get me £200 discounted....

However, if I go on Design911 the same parts are under £1100 inc VAT with the black PORSCHE centre logo.

So, I spoke with the OPC, and said "Come on is that really the best price you can do, I want to use you but im not paying that much?" and told him I could buy the official parts online for much less and would he then fit them. Unsurprisingly, he told me they would refuse to fit them unless I purchased the parts through them.

So, what's everyones thoughts? Have you purchased through Design 911? Im expecting I could get a Porsche independent to fit them for me for Labour costs.
Definitely sounds like Porsche “attitude”. Aston Martin were perfectly happy to fit parts bought elsewhere, even non OEM parts.
MacanSman

Post by MacanSman »

I would be purchasing from Design 911 and either fitting myself, or just get an Indie to fit and save at least £1000.
LAJ

Post by LAJ »

Went into the OPC today to get a boot liner. They couldn’t get the card machine out fast enough. Maybe they feel they have romanced me enough with the sale of the car. Is this the reality of owning a Porsche?
Craig87

Post by Craig87 »

MacanSman wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:06 pm I would be purchasing from Design 911 and either fitting myself, or just get an Indie to fit and save at least £1000.
There’s a fitting guide online that doesn’t look too bad but it does talk about talking rear wheel arches out to get to the bolts and I’m being a little lazy! But yes I agree I think I’m going to save myself a decent amount!
Craig87

Post by Craig87 »

Also worth mentioning on the tequipment website the part is £850 including VAT.

Seems to me that Porsche Portsmouth are taking me for a bloody mug!
hood69

Post by hood69 »

Normally body shop guys I would trust to get things off and back on properly
Preferably one that knows Porsche's
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

The best discount you are likely to get. From the parts department is 5%, the same they offer to Porsche Club GB members. Then you have the battle between sales, parts and service within the OPC which basically charge each other normal rates.

You could say you’ve been misled by the sales guy, but then he didn’t quantify the discount.

If you don’t want to tackle the fit,ent yourself then a competent body shop shouldn’t need more than a few hours to fit them, so less than £200 labour.

Alternatively you could call a couple of car wrapping companies and ask them how much to apply a tinted film to the existing lights - £300 max ?.
Craig87

Post by Craig87 »

Ordered that second set to them for myself!