Dumb question re ACC

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
EngineerMK

Post by EngineerMK »

PorscheMack wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:03 pm The more I hear about ACC, the less I want it.. 🤔
I've had it on 4 cars since 2014 (Cayman, 340i, Arona, Macan) and wouldn't want to drive a car without it! Although the XC60T8 I drove with it was far too conservative and I turned it off, and in a manual Golf is was pointless unless you were prepared to work with it through gear changes.

I think the usefulness of it is very dependent of how it's set up and where you drive. I really like it on crowed motorways and inner London.

SanPorMGTS

Post by SanPorMGTS »

Yes so to be clear, there was absolutely nobody or nothing in front of me when the car braked itself. This is on all occasions. Luckily there was no one behind me!!
The sensors/cameras etc are cleaned regularly
samg

Post by samg »

SanPorMGTS wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:32 pm Yes so to be clear, there was absolutely nobody or nothing in front of me when the car braked itself. This is on all occasions. Luckily there was no one behind me!!
I've had this happen twice; once may have been because it was on a narrow windy road and an on-coming car's trajectory was (for an instant) heading directly towards me but the other time was on a pretty clear road.

It didn't actually brake for very long so didn't come to a halt but it's an unpleasant experience.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

SanPorMGTS wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:32 pm Yes so to be clear, there was absolutely nobody or nothing in front of me when the car braked itself. This is on all occasions. Luckily there was no one behind me!!
There is a fault, it should not do that.

OPC visit required.

If you have a dashcam next time it happens, save and copy the video file to a memory stick and send it to the OPC.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

I've had a similar experience back in 2014 in a new 'C' class Mercedes. Randomly slammed the brakes on for no reason and I was lucky not to have been rear-ended on a few occasions and only suffered a little abuse lol
After the third visit back to the dealership, they removed the front bumper and found a tiny piece of silver foil on or near the sensor. All was good after that thankfully
SanPorMGTS

Post by SanPorMGTS »

Yes it’s unnerving. I had the pooches with me but obviously they were in their crates - I wouldnt want them hurt unnecessarily.

Good shout re the dash cam, I’ll definitely have footage from last time it happened. Seriously dumb of me not to think of it :) thank you
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

would not touch it, i had a day at silverstone and took a fully loaded panamara out, great car, following another porsche down a duel carrageway using acc, he pulled off to the left and my car started to accerate quick quickly, only issue was we were about 50m from a roundabout.

not to be trusted.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

gasgas1 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:53 am would not touch it, i had a day at silverstone and took a fully loaded panamara out, great car, following another porsche down a duel carrageway using acc, he pulled off to the left and my car started to accerate quick quickly, only issue was we were about 50m from a roundabout.

not to be trusted.
You do have to drive it too! It’s just a handy tool but you still need to be in control 😳
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

Jon A wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:08 am
gasgas1 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:53 am would not touch it, i had a day at silverstone and took a fully loaded panamara out, great car, following another porsche down a duel carrageway using acc, he pulled off to the left and my car started to accerate quick quickly, only issue was we were about 50m from a roundabout.

not to be trusted.
You do have to drive it too! It’s just a handy tool but you still need to be in control 😳
Totally agree 👍👍
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

not to be trusted.
You really should have expected that to happen.

In 7 years use in my Macan, zero issues on the road.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags