Porsche's Own brand Dashcam Questions

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Just looked at Porsche T equipment site for the Dash cam cost…. £786 for the camera and £63 for the 64GB card. What an absolute rip off. Have Garmin 66W cameras in our cars and just ordered a 67W from Halfords (current offer) for £150, it comes with a 16GB card but we already use High Endurance 64GB cards which are £10. Extremely simple with no tech issues, even old people can use it and the video quality is excellent. Takes under 30 mins to self install. Don’t mind spending money but doesn’t sound like it’s even a decent operating unit, just for the Porsche badge Nooo❗️🙄
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

MikeM wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:53 pm Just looked at Porsche T equipment site for the Dash cam cost…. £786 for the camera and £63 for the 64GB card. What an absolute rip off. Have Garmin 66W cameras in our cars and just ordered a 67W from Halfords (current offer) for £150, it comes with a 16GB card but we already use High Endurance 64GB cards which are £10. Extremely simple with no tech issues, even old people can use it and the video quality is excellent. Takes under 30 mins to self install. Don’t mind spending money but doesn’t sound like it’s even a decent operating unit, just for the Porsche badge Nooo❗️🙄
30 mins for a front/rear hard wired install - don’t think so!
Macan S MY 2023
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Skyway wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:00 pm
MikeM wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:53 pm Just looked at Porsche T equipment site for the Dash cam cost…. £786 for the camera and £63 for the 64GB card. What an absolute rip off. Have Garmin 66W cameras in our cars and just ordered a 67W from Halfords (current offer) for £150, it comes with a 16GB card but we already use High Endurance 64GB cards which are £10. Extremely simple with no tech issues, even old people can use it and the video quality is excellent. Takes under 30 mins to self install. Don’t mind spending money but doesn’t sound like it’s even a decent operating unit, just for the Porsche badge Nooo❗️🙄
30 mins for a front/rear hard wired install - don’t think so!
No, just the front as over 90% of issues are right in front of you..
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

In this day and age I’d recommend a rear camera too 😉
Macan S MY 2023
SanPorMGTS

Post by SanPorMGTS »

Think some people on here like me, went for the Porsche option purely because of wiring/warranty considerations. I’d have rather a different front/rear dash, but because of convenience and warranty, I went with the Porsche one. It definitely is a flaff though!!
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

SanPorMGTS wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:20 pm Think some people on here like me, went for the Porsche option purely because of wiring/warranty considerations. I’d have rather a different front/rear dash, but because of convenience and warranty, I went with the Porsche one. It definitely is a flaff though!!
I haven’t found this. Mine works seemlessy, certainly as good as a Blackvue. I just connect to the dashcam WiFi then either view or download the footage to my iPhone 😉
Macan S MY 2023
IPKnightly2

Post by IPKnightly2 »

Skyway wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:30 pm
SanPorMGTS wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:20 pm Think some people on here like me, went for the Porsche option purely because of wiring/warranty considerations. I’d have rather a different front/rear dash, but because of convenience and warranty, I went with the Porsche one. It definitely is a flaff though!!
I haven’t found this. Mine works seemlessy, certainly as good as a Blackvue. I just connect to the dashcam WiFi then either view or download the footage to my iPhone 😉
+1
2023 Macan S
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

IPKnightly2 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:37 pm
Skyway wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:30 pm
+1
+2
CKMAC

Post by CKMAC »

Is there a limit of the number of clips to be shown on the apps for viewing?

I am using a 256GB card and it seems that only a week worth of footage (since reformatting the SD card) are shown on the apps.
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Summary of some emails between myself and an OPC over last few weeks :-
Me - Could you quote for the supply and fit of a forward facing dashcam please.
OPC - Porsche now only supply front and rear dashcam - supply and fit - £975.00
Me - I don't really want a rear camera , if I buy the dual camera from Porsche Tequipment direct (£401.00) can you quote for fitting the front one only.
OPC - (try not to laugh) the workshop advise me that fitting the front camera only is something that they haven't tried before and unable to quote for fitting.
Me- if I get a qualified auto electrician to fit the Porsche dashcam will there be any warranty issues ?
OPC- If there was an electrical fault attributable to the fitting of the dashcam then it would not be covered.

Considering that my Macan is prewired I can't see any problems with fitting it.

Any comments ?