Air Suspension

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

Ordered Macan S in December 21 and trying to finalise my build specification.
I notice that lots of members are specifying Air Suspension on their builds.
I've read that it lowers the car but also improves ride and is adjustable depending on driving conditions.
I intend keeping the car for 4 to 5 years, after which I will most likely go electric. I am buying the car outright.
Apart from the price are there any negatives in specifying Air Suspension?

BanZ

Post by BanZ »

petew0557 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:19 am Ordered Macan S in December 21 and trying to finalise my build specification.
I've read that it lowers the car but also improves ride and is adjustable depending on driving conditions.
I intend keeping the car for 4 to 5 years, after which I will most likely go electric. I am buying the car outright.
It doesn’t lower the car by default there is a button which lowers the car(there is also a separate one in the boot which lowers just the rear of the car further). Then you have the PASM button which cycles through comfort/sport/sport+ which adjusts how firm the ride is. I personally feel a great difference in the 3 modes. I know some on the forum like the look of the car being lowered but I drive almost always in the higher setting as it feels right for an suv imo. For my 2 cents I’d spec air again as I really rate it and enjoy the different driving modes depending on the conditions.
Spicky

Post by Spicky »

After 6 years of Macan ownership [which was great by the way] the last 3 months were a nightmare due to air suspension failure, even OPC didn't know what was wrong, 2 x new front struts fitted, new pump fitted, 2 x new sensors fitted and still came up with error messages, personally I would never touch air again
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGEN3JG2
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

PASM gives a great ride all on its own.

Adding air does give a smoother ride and there is a but, do not just specify air unless you and your family have had a long test drive in a Macan with air and the same sized wheels as you intend to spec.

I have had air for over five years and love it but there have been a significant number who find it floaty or wallowing and some even have motion sickness.

The air setting that lowers the car only does so my about 10mm which many not sound much but it does improve the ride and handling.

If handling is your main criteria forget an S and go for a GTS.

Remember, long, long test drive.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

BanZ wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:45 am
petew0557 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:19 am Ordered Macan S in December 21 and trying to finalise my build specification.
It doesn’t lower the car by default there is a button which lowers the car(there is also a separate one in the boot which lowers just the rear of the car further). Then you have the PASM button which cycles through comfort/sport/sport+ which adjusts how firm the ride is. I personally feel a great difference in the 3 modes. I know some on the forum like the look of the car being lowered but I drive almost always in the higher setting as it feels right for an suv imo. For my 2 cents I’d spec air again as I really rate it and enjoy the different driving modes depending on the conditions.
Figures below taken from the "Technical Data" page on the Macan S configurator

Max. ground clearance (steel suspension) 202 mm
Max. ground clearance (air suspension, normal level) 187 mm

So the air suspension rides 15mm lower than steel at "normal" setting but you can select a "low" setting which further lowers it by 10mm making a total of 25mm lower than steel. The normal setting for the GTS gives a ground clearance of 177mm.

On previous versions of the Macan, air suspension was 10mm lower than steel and the GTS on steel was 15mm lower than the S on steel so a GTS on air was still 25mm lower than the S on steel.

Anecdotally, the spring rates on the S air suspension are lower than the steel springs which led to one or two forum members complaining that the ride was "wafty". The GTS has stiffer air springs but for Gen 3 you can opt for S spring rates and ride height.

Given that PASM is standard it's possible to firm up the ride (on either spring or air) but one advantage with air suspension is a constant ride height regardless of load. This probably is less important with an SUV because of the high ground clearance but with a saloon it can stop a fully loaded car grounding.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

I test drove the Macan with air and a friend who’s on his second Macan also rated it highly. Based upon the drive I had and not wanting anything different from that I included it in my spec. I too am looking for 5 years ownership so I do feel an extended warranty coming on because of features like this.
Macan S MY 2023
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Faults and costly repair bills are probably the only downside.
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

Thanks for all the input guys.
My wife does suffer with motion sickness so probably going to take Air out of build spec purely on that basis.
As you say the S has PASM as standard so I have some adjustment with that
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

petew0557 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:26 am Thanks for all the input guys.
My wife does suffer with motion sickness so probably going to take Air out of build spec purely on that basis.
As you say the S has PASM as standard so I have some adjustment with that
I didn’t notice any wafting when I drove it with air suspension to be honest but then my current car is build for comfort so perhaps that’s why. I’m hoping the air will smooth out the third world roads we have to endure in the U.K.
Macan S MY 2023
mueslibrown

Post by mueslibrown »

I’d never driven on air before - specced it blind. Not noticed any wafting either and I’m coming from a rock hard Audi …
2021 Turbo (Collected 11/21) | Dolomite Silver | Half Garnet Red Leather | Pano | 18 Way Seats | PASM + Air | PTVP | Sports Chrono | PSP | PSE | 21" 911 Turbo Wheels | Gloss Black Trims | Bose