Air Suspension

Wheels, Tyres, Suspension, Chassis, Issues and Fixes
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

Not sure what to do tbh

Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

petew0557 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:25 am Not sure what to do tbh
Test drive both. Don't get stressed though, any Macan without a single option is going to be just great, the difference with or without any particular option just isn't going to be your life's greatest regret!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

petew0557 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:25 am Not sure what to do tbh
I don’t think anybody can tell you what to do on this. I can say that air is more about handling ability than ride comfort (although there are slight advantages). PASM is what takes care of bumps, lumps and bad surfaces but can also be set firmer for improvements in cornering etc. Air is more about controlling yore and pitch when when pushing on.
Ultimately they work in tandem…
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
resjud

Post by resjud »

I agonized over the same decision and was not able to arrange a test drive of an S on both steel and air prior to locking my spec.

I ultimately decided against air on the basis that I had tolerated the ride over London's roads and speed bumps with a BMW X3 on adaptive steel dampers, 21" wheels and run-flat tyres so, without air, in a worst-case scenario I would be no worse off than before and would not be risking the "wafty" ride that some others mention, and in a best-case scenario I would be pleasantly surprised by the ride.

I'm now a week into Macan S ownership and the PASM alone, on 21" wheels, is head and shoulders above the BMW's ride and handling, so I'm very happy.

I also towed a trailer at the weekend, which is another reason cited in favour of speccing air, and have no complaints at all about the handling or levelling of the car on steel springs.

Finally, I made sure when I had my PEC day at Silverstone that I did not drive an S with air, just in case I found that I loved it and couldn't add it to my locked spec!
Macan S delivered Jan 2022: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7N8UC1
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Spicky wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:53 am After 6 years of Macan ownership [which was great by the way] the last 3 months were a nightmare due to air suspension failure, even OPC didn't know what was wrong, 2 x new front struts fitted, new pump fitted, 2 x new sensors fitted and still came up with error messages, personally I would never touch air again

Personally, this would be my fear.

I’d go with standard suspension with PASM.

Keep it simple to avoid possible costly (and inconvenient) issues in the future would be my view, especially if you might not buy a Porsche warranty extension in the future.

Cheers,
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
EDZ

Post by EDZ »

This is a great forum for getting different opinions, both good and bad, for and against, on all options and a great pointer what to look out for. But as has been said by many ultimately you need to try before you buy.
Maserati Grecale Trofeo (Primaserie) Collected April 2023
Macan Gen 3 GTS on order: Cancalled April 2023
Macan 2019 GTS Black. (On loan to son in law)
Mini Cooper S (Local run about)
Macan 2016 S D V/Grey (sold)
Kleynie

Post by Kleynie »

petew0557 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:26 am Thanks for all the input guys.
My wife does suffer with motion sickness so probably going to take Air out of build spec purely on that basis.
As you say the S has PASM as standard so I have some adjustment with that
I think you are making a mistake. I have the dampers on sport and the air on low setting, I have 21" wheels and 20" winters, I suffer from motion sickness unless I am driving and the Macan does not make me ill and I have never had any issues with it.
I had air on my old SD, it was 5 years old when I sold it and not one single issue.

On the other hand, I have driven plenty of loaners with steel springs, they always seem more harsh and noisy to me. And don't forget a steel spring can break as well.

Test both is what I say, but don't discount the air just because one person had motion sickness 5 years ago!
June 2017 Macan GTS in Carmine red with 21” gloss black sport classics, GTS leather package, Air, PASM, PDLS+, pano roof, Sports Chrono, 18 way seats, BOSE, surround view, heated seats front and rear, carbon side blades and carbon interior package.
penport

Post by penport »

I moved from steel to air and feel that air gives a much more rounded ride. GTS v S also helps :D

Not sure if this is a factor for you but the lower ride height has made a big difference to my wife (5ft2in) who can now get in easily. On our previous Macan we went down the route of running boards to help her but ended up removing them (aftermarket) as they didn't fit properly.
MY18 Macan GTS Volcano ACC, PAS, Air, PASM, PSP, PSE, Bose, PDLS+, carbon heated steering wheel
2015 Macan S Sapphire PSE, PSP, PASM, K&N [sold but not forgotten]
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:09 pm
Spicky wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:53 am After 6 years of Macan ownership [which was great by the way] the last 3 months were a nightmare due to air suspension failure, even OPC didn't know what was wrong, 2 x new front struts fitted, new pump fitted, 2 x new sensors fitted and still came up with error messages, personally I would never touch air again

Keep it simple to avoid possible costly (and inconvenient) issues in the future would be my view, especially if you might not buy a Porsche warranty extension in the future.

Cheers,
As you found out Simon, owning an expensive car can be a costly experience. Not sure that a heavily modified Carrera T fits in with a KISS philosophy :lol: :lol:

As my signature shows, I've got air suspension on my GTS. That's despite a nightmare experience with air suspension on Mercedes E Class. Shouldn't complain too much as I got a free replacement car and similar faults on the replacement all handled under warranty. When we spec our cars, we all hope that it's "the other guy" who'll have problems and sometimes it is. As one of the few forum members who has had a broken steel spring on a Macan, even the "simple" path is not without risks.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

On-Track wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:37 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:09 pm

Cheers,
As you found out Simon, owning an expensive car can be a costly experience. Not sure that a heavily modified Carrera T fits in with a KISS philosophy :lol: :lol:

Ha ha! :lol: Point taken, Peter. ;) Although not all modifications necessarily add complication. :P

Going forward, if I buy another Porsche in the future, I would indeed ideally go with the ‘KISS’ approach.

P.S. With my T, I did decline to spec rear axle steer, front axle lift, sun roof, PDK and various other options... :P
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018