Parking break

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
MacanPNeil

Post by MacanPNeil »

I may be missing somthing here but on a gen 2 Macan does the parking break (hand break) come on automatically or is this not the case?

My previous Mercedes’ and VW all had the parking break come on as soon as the car was in P and the ignition turned off. Im finding that I am pressing (or pulling - can’t remember now) the (P) button on the central control panel to activate it.

My Macan only automatically releases it if I’ve started the car, put it in D or R and press the accelerator.

It maybe the case that this is how it is and I just need to get out of the autopilot mode when parking the car abs thinking it will do it automatically…..

Skyway

Post by Skyway »

The 2 occasions I have driven a Macan required it to be applied manually and then auto disengages. That’s both a Gen 2 and 3, unless I’ve got it wrong :D
Macan S MY 2023
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

The parking brake needs to be operated manually via the P switch.

On most other VAG vehicles, you can set the hand brake to come on automatically once you have stopped the car. We have it on our Leon and it works faultlessly, both on and when driving off. With the Macan in some conditions you need to press the P switch to release it for some reason.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Do most apply the parking brake at Neutral or after placed in Park?
Macan S MY 2023
MacanSman

Post by MacanSman »

On the Gen 3, you have to manually apply the parking brake. Yet another step backwards for Porsche...
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

MacanSman wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:55 pm On the Gen 3, you have to manually apply the parking brake. Yet another step backwards for Porsche...
It was the same on the Gen 2 I drove this weekend.
Macan S MY 2023
pmg

Post by pmg »

Skyway wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:56 pm
MacanSman wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:55 pm On the Gen 3, you have to manually apply the parking brake. Yet another step backwards for Porsche...
I actually think automatic application is bad, especially with so many leaving cars parked overnight outside in winter. I was always taught leave the car in gear with hand brake off to reduce risk of pads/drums freezing to discs/drums
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

pmg wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:08 pm
Skyway wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:56 pm
I actually think automatic application is bad, especially with so many leaving cars parked overnight outside in winter. I was always taught leave the car in gear with hand brake off to reduce risk of pads/drums freezing to discs/drums
+1 to that. But I think it’s good to use it sometimes to stop the same result from lack of use.
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

Skyway wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:46 pm Do most apply the parking brake at Neutral or after placed in Park?
I don’t even know why neutral exists on the macan?
MacanSman

Post by MacanSman »

BanZ wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:36 pm
Skyway wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:46 pm Do most apply the parking brake at Neutral or after placed in Park?
I don’t even know why neutral exists on the macan?
Because you can't move the car in park or drive. So if it needs to be towed or moved on a transporter, you'll need neutral.