Parking break

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
Jim S

Post by Jim S »

Well to be honest I do prefer a good old manual handbrake over an electronic one but if it has an electronic one it should, as I said in my previous post, be configurable to be auto applied or manually applied.

The main problem today is once you have something like auto lights, auto wipers etc you don’t want to go back to manual.

Could always save money by doing away with the PDK and going back to manual or no ABS as cadence braking is easy enough to do (maybe not master though) just like I had to do when I started driving.

Jim

Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Another early lesson when disk brakes became popular was to never come to a stop and keep pressing on the brake. Release and that will enable the disk and pads to cool evenly and avoid warping.

The other good one was to keep your thumb out of the way when starting the engine....... with the handle :)
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:12 pm
The other good one was to keep your thumb out of the way when starting the engine....... with the handle :)

I've seen a thumb nicely dislocated from someone trying to start a straight 6 diesel engine with a crank handle.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Jim S wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:02 pm

The main problem today is once you have something like auto lights, auto wipers etc you don’t want to go back to manual.
That's why we see so many idiots driving around with no lights on in the dark. Too lazy to even notice the road is black in front of them.
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:31 pm
Am sure I was told to use hand brake when parked, when I passed my test in 1988.
When I passed my test in 1963, at every set of red traffic lights I had to apply the handbrake and put the car in neutral. Even today, there always seems to be somebody in front of me still adopting the same process.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

I normally put the van into neutral at lights or even waiting to turn right in a filter lane, just incase I get shunted and foot comes off the clutch. Don't do it in the Macan though, just cause it needs revs to get into motion.

Who used to annoy their passangers and pull the old hand brake up without pressing the button in?

And who used to pull their mates hand brake up with 2 hands while they were filling their car up with petrol so they couldn't get it off again? :twisted:
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

On-Track wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:15 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:31 pm
Am sure I was told to use hand brake when parked, when I passed my test in 1988.
When I passed my test in 1963, at every set of red traffic lights I had to apply the handbrake and put the car in neutral. Even today, there always seems to be somebody in front of me still adopting the same process.

When at a red traffic light, I always aim to apply the parking brake, and take my foot off the brake pedal.

Cheers,
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I always did the parking brake thingy when coming to a stop. Keep it drive but the brake lights went out so you don’t annoy the peeps behind you.

New car just comes to a stop and I believe keeps the brake lights on.

Annoying yes but the alternative is to put it park which requires using the brake pedal to put it back in drive.

For some reason (not a good one) that seems worse.

Macan parking brake is one thing I miss, especially using it when you are moving!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

I use the parking brake, more so at night to similarly save annoying folks behind. No need to apply the pedal to release it, just use the accelerator. Whilst, certainly in Gen 2, it can be used on the move I haven't tried a handbrake turn as yet, not found enough space when conditions are right, plus I suspect it acts on the throttle too!

Time and, maybe other members, will tell :)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Neil1911 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:38 pm I use the parking brake, more so at night to similarly save annoying folks behind. No need to apply the pedal to release it, just use the accelerator. Whilst, certainly in Gen 2, it can be used on the move I haven't tried a handbrake turn as yet, not found enough space when conditions are right, plus I suspect it acts on the throttle too!

Time and, maybe other members, will tell :)
I always hold on the brake pedal unless stationery for a long time. I believe all these electric cars put the brake lights on as soon as you come off the ON/OFF pedal.
Macan S MY 2023