Parking break

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Issues and Fixes
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

TheTraveller wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:16 am The parking brake only acts on the rears. The callipers have a small motor in them, which rotates on a thread, to screw the pads to the disk.
Apologies. It seems I was thinking of the "Emergency Brake" function. The Porsche "Good To Know" makes it clear that the parking brake acts on the rear wheels only.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:20 pm
On-Track wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:15 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:31 pm
Am sure I was told to use hand brake when parked, when I passed my test in 1988.
When I passed my test in 1963, at every set of red traffic lights I had to apply the handbrake and put the car in neutral. Even today, there always seems to be somebody in front of me still adopting the same process.

When at a red traffic light, I always aim to apply the parking brake, and take my foot off the brake pedal.

Cheers,
If I may Simon, I'll use your response for a thread digression.

If using stop/start on an automatic (and all Macans are automatics), for stop/start to work the car has to be stationary and the footbrake applied or the transmission has to be in Park. I know stop/start is unpopular on this forum but it is a standard feature of the car. From my observations, at traffic lights the majority of cars are being held on the footbrake. At traffic lights, I confess to being with the majority. In traffic jams, if the queue is stationary then I apply parking brake and select Park.

For fans of ACC, if the car is brought to a stand under ACC then the brake lights remain illuminated until "resume" action is taken.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Percymon

Post by Percymon »

Whilst its not the most reliable function when it comes to engaging, the HOLD function is useful at traffic lights.

As for an automatic parking brake then there is a guy on the US forum that has coded his Gen1 Turbo to operate automatically, as well as other codings such as the four small DRLs being on with the headlights and the fogs lights also being on for the welcome home feature
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Jon A wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:18 am
TheTraveller wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:18 am
Tracky wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:48 am

Is that in the new Highway Code for the Lycra wearers too?
I’m not sure what they were wearing, but a lesson the driver will learn for sure, and will avoid trying to kill people in future.😮
Perhaps when these cyclists are honked at by a car they should chase it down and use machetes to really “teach a lesson?”
FFS what a ridiculous thing to do in reaction to not being hit… 🙄
The trouble is, the most a cyclist will do is annoy the driver of a vehicle. The most the driver can do is kill a pedestrian, cyclist or another driver. The drivers don’t seem to ever learn. They’re in their cocooned metal machine, and are oblivious to the consequences, arrogant, thoughtless, and selfish. And I know some cyclists can be that too, but their resultant actions impacts more so on them.
I’m thoroughly exasperated at the new Highway Code rules, for the health one safety of everyone.What a mess.
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

TheTraveller wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:33 pm
The trouble is, the most a cyclist will do is annoy the driver of a vehicle.
Sorry, that's not true. What if a driver comes across a cyclist with no lights, dressed all in black and has to avoid them at short notice, possibly putting other road users in danger.
There are quite a few instances where a cyclist can cause an RTA.
Yeah, unfortunately I witness many individuals who shouldn't be anywhere near a powered vehicle on the public highway on a daily basis, the West Midlands is loaded with them.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

On-Track wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:08 pm
On-Track wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:15 pm

When I passed my test in 1963, at every set of red traffic lights I had to apply the handbrake and put the car in neutral. Even today, there always seems to be somebody in front of me still adopting the same process.

When at a red traffic light, I always aim to apply the parking brake, and take my foot off the brake pedal.

Cheers,

If using stop/start on an automatic (and all Macans are automatics), for stop/start to work the car has to be stationary and the footbrake applied or the transmission has to be in Park. I know stop/start is unpopular on this forum but it is a standard feature of the car. From my observations, at traffic lights the majority of cars are being held on the footbrake. At traffic lights, I confess to being with the majority. In traffic jams, if the queue is stationary then I apply parking brake and select Park.

For fans of ACC, if the car is brought to a stand under ACC then the brake lights remain illuminated until "resume" action is taken.

No worries, Peter. :)

My stop/start is usually deactivated, as I nearly always drive in Sport mode. ;)

P.S. If using the ‘Hold’ function, are the brake lights illuminated? 🤔
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:21 pm
On-Track wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:08 pm

Cheers,

No worries, Peter. :)

My stop/start is usually deactivated, as I nearly always drive in Sport mode. ;)

P.S. If using the ‘Hold’ function, are the brake lights illuminated? 🤔
Yes
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Deleted User 4788

Post by Deleted User 4788 »

The first thing I do when i get in any car is deactivate the stop/start. This includes my wife's Captur S (Dizzy 140bhp) and my TT (230bhp)
Dannyp

Post by Dannyp »

Rarecolour wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:11 pm
Jim S wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:02 pm

The main problem today is once you have something like auto lights, auto wipers etc you don’t want to go back to manual.
That's why we see so many idiots driving around with no lights on in the dark. Too lazy to even notice the road is black in front of them.
Point well made!
Although I got caught out myself recently in fog!
I had the car lights in "auto" as usual with the fog lights on as well front and rear for safety.
After a bit realised that the car didn't think the fog made it dark enough and hadn't switched the lights on -0 this meant that the fog lights hadn't come on either!!! :shock:
... and I'd been happily "tutting". at all the fools driving without fog lights :D :D :D
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Rarecolour wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:11 pm
Jim S wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:02 pm

The main problem today is once you have something like auto lights, auto wipers etc you don’t want to go back to manual.
That's why we see so many idiots driving around with no lights on in the dark. Too lazy to even notice the road is black in front of them.
My DRLs on the Lotus are brighter than the actual headlights ! :lol:
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S