Need a small favour from anyone using Auto Stop Start!

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
andreas

Post by andreas »

THHGTTG wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:44 pm
For reference the ASS on the macan is the most aggressive of any car I’ve owned. It really does turn off at every possible opportunity. The scary bit is the power steering drops out as soon as the engine stops, so if you are going round a corner and stop in traffic the PS goes away with the steering on lock. Its not a big issue but it just catches you by surprise occasionally.
How is this scary? If you try to turn the steering wheel, the engine will start again to provide power steering.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Greglambert wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:17 pm I'm trying to get to the bottom of why the Auto Stop Start is not working on my 2017 Macan GTS so I'm after a small favour!

Would anyone who is actively using the A/S/S functionality be able to check their battery voltage reading from the drivers multi function display, if you have it selected of course? ;)

Mine has never worked since I bought the car last October and, despite a recent 350 mile drive, the voltage still reads below 12v first thing in the morning and the A/S/S won't work (I know there's a list of conditions which prevent the A/S/S from working but I'm not using any of them, e.g. PSM, Sports mode, air con, heated seats/steering wheel, etc..etc..).

In normal driving mode the voltage reading on the display shows the alternator is charging at a healthy 14.5/15v, so on that basis I presume the alternator is ok. However, this is not reflected in the voltage reading when I get in the car the following day, as it never reads anything above 12v. Put simply, there's never sufficient voltage in the battery for the A/S/S to function (and the battery has been replaced by Porsche by the way).

I am therefore intrigued to know what other owners are seeing on the voltage readout and if their A/S/S is working ok. If others are seeing a minimum 12.5v upwards and A/S/S working I'll at least have something to go back to the dealer with!

Thanks in advance.
If the voltage when driving is 14.5/15V then the alternator is charging and the battery is not fully charged. On the move, a fully charged battery shows a voltage of 13.2V or thereabouts. The nominal battery voltage is 12V so when you get in the car in the morning and turn on the ignition you will never see more than that. Once the engine has started the voltage will rise once the alternator starts to charge the battery. It looks, to me, that you have something draining the battery when the car is shut down.

The car alarm system, being always set once the car is locked, will act as a drain on the battery. If you happen to have a dashcam and it's connected via one of the "always live" fuses then that will act as a drain.

One question in relation to your 350 mile journey, did auto stop/start work at any time during the journey? Sometimes my car gets left for around four weeks. At start up auto stop/start does not work and occasionally PAS announces it's not available. Also the coasting function does not work. Driving along all these systems eventually become available (PAS being the first) but it can take up to 1 hours driving for the battery to show fully charged (voltage dropping to 13.2V).
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
pmg

Post by pmg »

I looked at my voltage a mile after start today and it was 12.4 v. I did see 14.7 later in during my trip out,

The car does have a Ctek charger attached when in the garage.

I have found especially with Macan modern car control systems. I read somewhere do not fully charge the battery all the time in the belief that this helps extend the life. especially with GSM batteries Before I regularly placed the car on a CTEK I found that If i did a series of say 20-mile trips, after a few I would gradually start to lose some electrical comfort items like comfort access. this was especially true with heavy winter battery load
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Greglambert

Post by Greglambert »

On-Track wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:42 pm
Greglambert wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:17 pm I'm trying to get to the bottom of why the Auto Stop Start is not working on my 2017 Macan GTS so I'm after a small favour!

Would anyone who is actively using the A/S/S functionality be able to check their battery voltage reading from the drivers multi function display, if you have it selected of course? ;)

Mine has never worked since I bought the car last October and, despite a recent 350 mile drive, the voltage still reads below 12v first thing in the morning and the A/S/S won't work (I know there's a list of conditions which prevent the A/S/S from working but I'm not using any of them, e.g. PSM, Sports mode, air con, heated seats/steering wheel, etc..etc..).

In normal driving mode the voltage reading on the display shows the alternator is charging at a healthy 14.5/15v, so on that basis I presume the alternator is ok. However, this is not reflected in the voltage reading when I get in the car the following day, as it never reads anything above 12v. Put simply, there's never sufficient voltage in the battery for the A/S/S to function (and the battery has been replaced by Porsche by the way).

I am therefore intrigued to know what other owners are seeing on the voltage readout and if their A/S/S is working ok. If others are seeing a minimum 12.5v upwards and A/S/S working I'll at least have something to go back to the dealer with!

Thanks in advance.
If the voltage when driving is 14.5/15V then the alternator is charging and the battery is not fully charged. On the move, a fully charged battery shows a voltage of 13.2V or thereabouts. The nominal battery voltage is 12V so when you get in the car in the morning and turn on the ignition you will never see more than that. Once the engine has started the voltage will rise once the alternator starts to charge the battery. It looks, to me, that you have something draining the battery when the car is shut down.

The car alarm system, being always set once the car is locked, will act as a drain on the battery. If you happen to have a dashcam and it's connected via one of the "always live" fuses then that will act as a drain.

One question in relation to your 350 mile journey, did auto stop/start work at any time during the journey? Sometimes my car gets left for around four weeks. At start up auto stop/start does not work and occasionally PAS announces it's not available. Also the coasting function does not work. Driving along all these systems eventually become available (PAS being the first) but it can take up to 1 hours driving for the battery to show fully charged (voltage dropping to 13.2V).

Hi On-Track

Thanks for your thoughts/comments. The dealer did a parasitic drain test and found a drain of 27mA, but their minimum tolerance reading is 30mA, so they wouldn't investigate further but didn't see that as enough draw on the battery to cause the problem. I don't have a dashcam so that's not an issue and, from memory, the Auto/Start/Stop worked once on the 350 trip.

Thing is I've come from a Discovery Sport and then an Evoque and never had an issue with A/S/S, it worked all the time, so switching to a Porsche I fully expected it to work too! Not to be it seems.

Anyway, I'll let the dealership take another look, but thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated as always.
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

Greglambert wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:45 am
On-Track wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:42 pm

Thanks in advance.

Hi On-Track

Thanks for your thoughts/comments. The dealer did a parasitic drain test and found a drain of 27mA, but their minimum tolerance reading is 30mA, so they wouldn't investigate further but didn't see that as enough draw on the battery to cause the problem. I don't have a dashcam so that's not an issue and, from memory, the Auto/Start/Stop worked once on the 350 trip.

Thing is I've come from a Discovery Sport and then an Evoque and never had an issue with A/S/S, it worked all the time, so switching to a Porsche I fully expected it to work too! Not to be it seems.

Anyway, I'll let the dealership take another look, but thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated as always.
It is EXTREMELY active on my Gen 3 S. Much more so than any other car I’ve owned or driven. It cuts in even when the car has only driven a few hundred yards.
Madelvic

Post by Madelvic »

Greg I'm sure it has been covered elsewhere, but there are a zillion conditions to be met before Start/Stop will work. I find it is hardly if ever functional in winter time. Works okay in the summer. The Good to Know app lists the conditions for it to work and I recall it on this forum too
2017 Macan GTS Carmine Red
2005 Boxster S Artic Silver
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Madelvic - Having read the OPC responses, I think Greg is looking for a fault that isn't there. Different manufacturers manage auto stop/start in different ways. Porsche has a vigorous battery management system on the Macan and the first thing "out of the window" as the battery discharges is auto stop/start. You're right that the topic has come up before (many times). Usually replies are dominated by members saying the first thing they do after the engine starts is disable stop/start. That's followed by people asking how to map stop/start to the diamond button on the steering wheel to make it easier to turn off.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
emptygroves

Post by emptygroves »

Hiya Greg,
To answer your question, at ignition on before engine start, my battery voltage is 12.1V, just after it has cranked it dips briefly to about 11.4V, but then climbs (at tickover) to about 15V, taking about 1 minute to do so.
When on a run the car seems to determine how much to generate and can fluctuate between 13V and 15V dependent on conditions, although there must be a raft of different criteria as sometimes there doesn't appear to be much reason for why it isn't available. I used to think engine temperature was one of them, but actually there seems to be a sweet spot at which, "computer says nooo", because it can sometimes auto stop within a mile or so of a cold start, then developing a patch where it won't kick in until it's fully up to temp. I don't find too much difference between operation in various ambient conditions, although air-con demand definitely is one of those criteria!
It hasn't varied much over the life of the car (from new 2015, approx. 20k to 25k a year, apart from the last 2years) now at 139k and still ticking. I use my SD on a regular basis (although the last 2 years have been a little less enthusiastic, don't know why...) and I'm continually using the start / stop button to turn off AND on the functionality.

It is worth noting that the start/stop also initiates the coasting function (when start/stop is turned off, coasting doesn't occur), although I have to admit that i haven't noticed a correlation between when s/s isn't available (yellow crossed through symbol in right hand binnacle) and the coast, so I imagine that the availability of coast doesn't depend on if the car meets the criteria for auto start/stop. It might be worth checking this; with auto s/s on (i.e. light out) run it up to 50+mph (in 5th 6th or 7th) and very gently let off the accelerator. The coast mode should initiate, with the engine going to idle and no engine braking.
Coasting has been tinkered with at various software updates throughout the last 7 years, and I think was originally available in all gears, but after successive updates it is now only available in 5th gear +.

Also, where is your idle speed at when warm? If it's at 600rpm, then that is the normal condition. If it's ticking over at 800rpm, this means that the car is trying to regen., and that will prevent auto s/s.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Mark
PS. I'm going to go and see if the coast mode is related to the auto start-stop availability now...
Cheers
Emptygroves

http://www.porsche-code.com/PG7WGNP8
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

My Turbo and 911 will not coast when auto stop start is off.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Stevie171

Post by Stevie171 »

I’ve only been in the fold a little over a month. Mine only ever activated once in the first 3 weeks.
Literally stop/start once at a single set of traffic lights.

However, I then plugged the car into my ctek battery optimiser, designed especially for stop start batteries. It’s been working since.