Observations from a second time Macan owner

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Philwebster95

Post by Philwebster95 »

Hello all,

I bought my first Macan in 2019 (a gen 2 S) and used this forum extensively in my research so 3 years later this is my contribution.

I have recently taken delivery of a gen 3 S, and have listed my thoughts on the options list below, principally for the benefit of potential new owners as I was in 2019.

Let me start by saying whatever the spec, the Macan is a fantastic car! It’s handling and driver feedback is better than anything I have previously driven, by far.

So on to the options list…

In 2019, I thought about sports chrono, but felt that I did not need launch control, nor was I bothered about the clock in the dashboard. What I did not realise was that without chrono, I was only able to switch to sports mode by pressing a button on the lower left of the gear selector. This is very difficult whilst driving, so much so that I resorted to sticking a small silicone button to the sports mode switch! This worked on the physical switch but I doubt it would work on the new glass touch switches. Still, in my new gen 3 I specified sports chrono, specifically to get the mode selector on the steering wheel. I have not had chance to test it yet as I am still running the car in!

Also in 2019, I saw the heat insulating glass and thought it was a gimmick so did not add it. This was a mistake, in summer, the air-con could not keep up with the solar gain (compared to my previous cars). I have specified it this time, it remains to be seen how well it works.

I also did not get sports exhaust the first time round and was always a little disappointed at the engine sound (or lack of it!). Again, I specified it on my new car although I must say that the 2.9 engine sounds much better than the 3L even without the sports exhaust.

My final advice to potential new owners is to read all the options in detail, things you are used to getting as standard on BMW’s etc. are often options on a Macan!

In conclusion, despite my omissions on the options, I absolutely loved my first Macan, and am looking forward to getting my new one run in! It already feels ‘sportier’, possibly due to tyres (the new one has P-zeros, the previous one had Goodyears).

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Well, nobody can accuse you of being a prolific poster. Two posts in two and a half years. Your Gen 3 "S" is very close to my Gen 2 GTS.

I've had Heat and Noise Insulating glass on all three of my Porsches so I can't really comment on the difference. I do know that when I had a loan Macan on 20" wheels (like my SD and GTS) without this option, the difference in interior noise level was very noticeable.

I don't know if the "Sports Response" button is still part of Sports Chrono but that is the only part of that option that I've used.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Go on Phil, use the control dial now, it’s so much easier. I used it quite a bit running in as I found it kept the engine running lighter and avoided the ‘box going into 7th while doing only 30 mph. Provided you use a light right foot you’re not going to transgress, but instead perhaps improve the run in process.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Philwebster95

Post by Philwebster95 »

Ha! Good point Nick!
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Philwebster95 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:52 am Hello all,

I bought my first Macan in 2019 (a gen 2 S) and used this forum extensively in my research so 3 years later this is my contribution.

I have recently taken delivery of a gen 3 S, and have listed my thoughts on the options list below, principally for the benefit of potential new owners as I was in 2019.

Let me start by saying whatever the spec, the Macan is a fantastic car! It’s handling and driver feedback is better than anything I have previously driven, by far.

In 2019, I thought about sports chrono, but felt that I did not need launch control, nor was I bothered about the clock in the dashboard. What I did not realise was that without chrono, I was only able to switch to sports mode by pressing a button on the lower left of the gear selector. This is very difficult whilst driving, so much so that I resorted to sticking a small silicone button to the sports mode switch! This worked on the physical switch but I doubt it would work on the new glass touch switches. Still, in my new gen 3 I specified sports chrono, specifically to get the mode selector on the steering wheel. I have not had chance to test it yet as I am still running the car in!

Also in 2019, I saw the heat insulating glass and thought it was a gimmick so did not add it. This was a mistake, in summer, the air-con could not keep up with the solar gain (compared to my previous cars). I have specified it this time, it remains to be seen how well it works.

I also did not get sports exhaust the first time round and was always a little disappointed at the engine sound (or lack of it!). Again, I specified it on my new car although I must say that the 2.9 engine sounds much better than the 3L even without the sports exhaust.

My final advice to potential new owners is to read all the options in detail, things you are used to getting as standard on BMW’s etc. are often options on a Macan!

In conclusion, despite my omissions on the options, I absolutely loved my first Macan, and am looking forward to getting my new one run in! It already feels ‘sportier’, possibly due to tyres (the new one has P-zeros, the previous one had Goodyears).
Thanks for taking the time to give us your views, Phil. I have also gone with the chrono and insulation glass. I didn't get the exhaust as I assumed it would be muted by the glass.

Is it?
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PS4LDHS7
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:43 pm

Thanks for taking the time to give us your views, Phil. I have also gone with the chrono and insulation glass. I didn't get the exhaust as I assumed it would be muted by the glass.

Is it?
Unless Porsche have radically changed the PSE there is a Resonator fixed to the monocoque structure to introduce vibration and hence noise inside the car when it is use.

Do remember there are legal limits on the noise levels that can be measured outside a vehicle.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Is it?
No. Or at least it makes a great sound if you press on the loud pedal enough to open the flaps. No idea what it sounds like from outside the car.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

On-Track wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:49 am

Is it?
No. Or at least it makes a great sound if you press on the loud pedal enough to open the flaps. No idea what it sounds like from outside the car.
Time to stand by the side of the road and film it with someone else driving. Post the result on here.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PS4LDHS7
Philwebster95

Post by Philwebster95 »

Is it?
Yes, the sound is muted by the glass, but still audible. As I said in the original post, the engine sound of the 2.9 motor in the gen 3 S is far better than the 3L in the gen 2, even without PSE!
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

Without PSE there is very little exhaust noise to be heard inside the car, but quite a lot of (good) engine noise when you gun it.

However, my son drove mine recently and I was amazed how loud and “poppy” it was with standard exhaust from the outside.