New Macan T

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Jon A wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:19 pm I also realise that actually being able to get a car in some sort of reasonable timeframe is very important - I myself am questioning the value of this with my 992 order 😳
Don't you think the Base, S and GTS orders lodged earlier in the year would have been delivered much earlier if Porsche hadn't sprung its model T on the world and seemingly prioritised it's sales above existing orders with deposits paid? Seems underhand to say the least!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP

as7920

Post by as7920 »

From what I've seen/heard/read Base were far more obtainable than S and GTS anyway so I think it's more the 2.0l engine in general than singling out the T. No idea why.

But as the T is a new model I guess they have to produce a fair sized batch. There were at least 7 allocations available (at my OPC) for the T when I put my deposit down.

And thankfully they have one at the PEC too.
Last edited by as7920 on Thu May 19, 2022 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

I think when it comes to allocation, slots, freeze dates it's all smoke and mirrors by the OPC. They will keep all options open for as long as they can in order to maximise profit. Just because a model is more expensive doesn't make it more profitable. If there is a higher margin on the T over an S for a given time frame then it will be promoted.

If they can sell, in a given period, 50 model S at £12k margin or 70 model T at £10k then they will push the T.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

as7920 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:22 am From what I've seen/heard/read Base were far more obtainable than S and GTS anyway so I think it's more the 2.0l engine in general than singling out the T. No idea why.

Yep. Back in 2016, when I bought my first Porsche, the 2.0 had a much shorter lead time than an SD. The petrol S was a crazy long wait, and when I ordered (around Oct 2015, I think) I’m not sure that the GTS was even an option. 🤔

So I think you’re right, in that the 2.0 has always been available more quickly than other models. And I’m sure that keeping average emissions down must be at least part of the reason for this.

Plus, I’d put money on the fact that the averagely specced S or GTS does indeed make more profit per unit than the averagely specced 2.0 or 2.0T. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:58 pm It’s more a general case of 2.0 bashing (which includes the T) and there’s one person in particular (not you, Jon) who takes every opportunity to slag off the 2.0 Macan, despite the various improvements since the original Gen I version.
I will continue to try and steer people away from the base.

No improvements could be enough to make the base anything other than a car suitable for the shopping run or to take the kids wherever then needed taking, its a town car.

On the open road it lacks the power needed for effortless driving, it is a plodder.

Simon, you had your Macan for a month before you swapped it for your first 911, would you consider buying another Base or even a Macan T?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hi Col,

Yeah, that was madness on my part! 🤪 It was a yearning for a 911, rather than a dissatisfaction with the Macan. I’d still have swapped, had it been a Macan SD or an S that I had.

And yes, I think the Macan T looks great. Were I to swap my 911 for an SUV (not planned at present) I’d be sorely tempted to order a T, with very few options needing adding, in my opinion. :)

Cheers,
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

According to my dealer, the base model (in the UK) generally exists to tempt people away from other manufacturers, thus introducing people to the Porsche brand. Apparently a lot of people are put off by a large-capacity V6 engine. So the issue isn't whether or not the S or GTS is 'better' than a base; the answer to that will depend on what you want from your car.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
softsand

Post by softsand »

Neil1911 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:08 am
Jon A wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:19 pm I also realise that actually being able to get a car in some sort of reasonable timeframe is very important - I myself am questioning the value of this with my 992 order 😳
Don't you think the Base, S and GTS orders lodged earlier in the year would have been delivered much earlier if Porsche hadn't sprung its model T on the world and seemingly prioritised it's sales above existing orders with deposits paid? Seems underhand to say the least!
Initially ordered a Base and changed to a T as soon as it was announced as it seemed good value here and included some options I had selected reducing the gap.

Over here, that means I now have a earlier slot (May) and have also missed out on a price rise. The wait for a S and GTS is very long which was another factor. But undoubtedly they would have been delivered earlier if the T didn’t exist…
2022 Macan T - http://www.porsche-code.com/PN22I7J6 with 21” Sport Classic wheels in Satin Platinum
as7920

Post by as7920 »

PaulR wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:32 am According to my dealer, the base model (in the UK) generally exists to tempt people away from other manufacturers, thus introducing people to the Porsche brand. Apparently a lot of people are put off by a large-capacity V6 engine. So the issue isn't whether or not the S or GTS is 'better' than a base; the answer to that will depend on what you want from your car.
As an added benefit, my T (first Porsche) is also hopefully a stepping stone to be able to purchase an unobtainable car in future. I know it's no guarantee and folks have spent £'00,000s with still no allocation and others have jumped in from zero, but it's a start.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

as7920 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:15 pm
PaulR wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:32 am According to my dealer, the base model (in the UK) generally exists to tempt people away from other manufacturers, thus introducing people to the Porsche brand. Apparently a lot of people are put off by a large-capacity V6 engine. So the issue isn't whether or not the S or GTS is 'better' than a base; the answer to that will depend on what you want from your car.
As an added benefit, my T (first Porsche) is also hopefully a stepping stone to be able to purchase an unobtainable car in future. I know it's no guarantee and folks have spent £'00,000s with still no allocation and others have jumped in from zero, but it's a start.
Completely agree with both above. To clarify my comments earlier, I don’t think the T is a bad car, or that it is slow (despite Col’s comments) it’s clearly a brisk piece of kit and all Macans look great to my eye.
My observation (however clumsily made) is that because it is priced so closely to the S, the superior engine in the S probably trumps a few extra options on the T. Add to this that the MPG is almost identical, then the S becomes an even more attractive alternative?
Now, I do realise that availability is a massive part of this and this will swing things more toward a T again - and that is also an important consideration.
All in all the T will be a well specced great looking Macan and you’re going to love it I suspect… 👍
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0