New Macan T

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
softsand

Post by softsand »

I just can’t understand the UK pricing. Here in AU the T is 3% more than a Base but a S is 24% more.
2022 Macan T - http://www.porsche-code.com/PN22I7J6 with 21” Sport Classic wheels in Satin Platinum

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

softsand wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:46 pm I just can’t understand the UK pricing. Here in AU the T is 3% more than a Base but a S is 24% more.
1.3% difference between T and S in the UK.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
as7920

Post by as7920 »

Jon A wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:29 pm
as7920 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:15 pm
PaulR wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:32 am According to my dealer, the base model (in the UK) generally exists to tempt people away from other manufacturers, thus introducing people to the Porsche brand. Apparently a lot of people are put off by a large-capacity V6 engine. So the issue isn't whether or not the S or GTS is 'better' than a base; the answer to that will depend on what you want from your car.
As an added benefit, my T (first Porsche) is also hopefully a stepping stone to be able to purchase an unobtainable car in future. I know it's no guarantee and folks have spent £'00,000s with still no allocation and others have jumped in from zero, but it's a start.
Completely agree with both above. To clarify my comments earlier, I don’t think the T is a bad car, or that it is slow (despite Col’s comments) it’s clearly a brisk piece of kit and all Macans look great to my eye.
My observation (however clumsily made) is that because it is priced so closely to the S, the superior engine in the S probably trumps a few extra options on the T. Add to this that the MPG is almost identical, then the S becomes an even more attractive alternative?
Now, I do realise that availability is a massive part of this and this will swing things more toward a T again - and that is also an important consideration.
All in all the T will be a well specced great looking Macan and you’re going to love it I suspect… 👍
I would never had considered the Base. It did not tempt me at all, it took the T to do that. Before the T it was S or GTS only for me and given the wait and being priced out of them both, when the T was announced it did bring me in.

Repackaged Base/special edition or whatever you want to call it, it did the trick where the base could not.

However I will admit I am not the typical SUV customer and my reasons were also driven by other criteria.
mickmichael

Post by mickmichael »

So how long do you wait for a T ?

Should I buy a brand new T or a 2019 S ?? Very similar price?

I think I need to try the T. And if it's just the power, cnt you 'chip it' for not much money??
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Yes you can but Invalidating the warranty on a £60k new car seems risky. Unless you believe it has no detrimental effect then fine.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project GTS March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8DH6E6
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Col,

To elaborate on my earlier answer, I could happily live with a Macan T with no options! If pushing the boat out, I’d add less than £2.5k in options = 21” 911 Turbo wheels, PSE, auto-dimming mirrors & the 75 litre fuel tank. :)

Cheers,

0D88468C-9C98-41CC-BA81-5889A6D0BC52.jpeg

Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:20 pm To elaborate on my earlier answer, I could happily live with a Macan T with no options! If pushing the boat out, I’d add less than £2.5k in options = 21” 911 Turbo wheels, PSE, auto-dimming mirrors & the 75 litre fuel tank. :)
Or save even more by sticking to the standard 20" wheels. 21" wheels on the T model, which has lowered suspension and no air, is very likely to be detrimental to its ride quality. The T is the one model - perhaps the only model - where I strongly suggest sticking to the standard wheels.
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
as7920

Post by as7920 »

PaulR wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:38 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:20 pm To elaborate on my earlier answer, I could happily live with a Macan T with no options! If pushing the boat out, I’d add less than £2.5k in options = 21” 911 Turbo wheels, PSE, auto-dimming mirrors & the 75 litre fuel tank. :)
Or save even more by sticking to the standard 20" wheels. 21" wheels on the T model, which has lowered suspension and no air, is very likely to be detrimental to its ride quality. The T is the one model - perhaps the only model - where I strongly suggest sticking to the standard wheels.
I agree. I stuck with the S/T wheels in dark titanium combined with standard steel springs.

Also stuck with standard T leather interior, interior T/GTS dashboard trim and external touches that were all unique to the T and it saved me a few £k to spend on additional comfort and styling features. Still ended up with £6k in options.
andreas

Post by andreas »

mickmichael wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:50 pm So how long do you wait for a T ?

Should I buy a brand new T or a 2019 S ?? Very similar price?

I think I need to try the T. And if it's just the power, cnt you 'chip it' for not much money??
Yes, I think you need to try the T. Chipping it is foolish, because you'll invalidate the warranty. And you need to drive an S too, so you can make a decent comparison.

I've had a base Macan courtesy car and driven it around 100 miles in varying types of traffic. It achieved around 25mpg, whereas my 3.0 S routinely does about 23mpg. So the base 2.0 isn't a significantly more economical version.

But the biggest difference is that whilst the 2.0 base version seems fine in gentle wafty traffic, if you want to go a bit more quickly it has to work very hard indeed - the gearbox drops several gears and the revs increase to 5-6K, and it sounds like it's really frantic and stressed. In comparison, the 3.0 S is much more relaxed when pushed. I certainly couldn't live with a base 2.0 in everyday driving. If I only did a school run and a supermarket run, it'd be OK though.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
as7920

Post by as7920 »

How much is insurance in an S? And road tax? I have to pay an extra £21 for the year to change my Fiesta 1.0l 99bhp to the T.

However the compulsory excess does increase from £150 to £500.