Porsche Dashcam First Impressions

Audio, Navigation, Electronic Issues and Fixes
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Unfortunately I don’t have a part number as I left it all to the OPC. My Macan was the first one they’d done front and rear as the camera was so new to the Macan. I’d be surprised if the camera has changed in such a short time.
Macan S MY 2023

MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

Skyway wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:59 pm Unfortunately I don’t have a part number as I left it all to the OPC. My Macan was the first one they’d done front and rear as the camera was so new to the Macan. I’d be surprised if the camera has changed in such a short time.
I'm actually surprised it was their first installation of one tbh
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

They’d done loads of front onlys, but the front/rear combination was new last year.
Macan S MY 2023
CKMAC

Post by CKMAC »

How long does the dashcam work during parking mode? Are we talking days or weeks? I know it depends on the battery level ... etc.
New User

Post by New User »

weeks in my experience leaving it in the garage on a tricke charger (it starts up saying “events recorded”). It shuts down once battery drops down to about 11v so it all depends on your state of charge but I would imagine a few days.
CKMAC

Post by CKMAC »

I have just noticed that the 12V socket is no longer available inside the Gen 3 storage compartment.

Does it work to use an USB-C to 12V socket converter to power a Blackvue 2CH dashcams (which is my alternative)?

I just want to avoid the use of the 12V socket hidden in the centre console front compartment.
AllanG

Post by AllanG »

CKMAC wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:50 am I have just noticed that the 12V socket is no longer available inside the Gen 3 storage compartment.

Does it work to use an USB-C to 12V socket converter to power a Blackvue 2CH dashcams (which is my alternative)?

I just want to avoid the use of the 12V socket hidden in the centre console front compartment.
On a Gen 3, the 12V socket is located under the rubber mat at the rear of the centre console.
Allan
2023 Macan S in Crayon
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

AllanG wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:59 am
CKMAC wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:50 am I have just noticed that the 12V socket is no longer available inside the Gen 3 storage compartment.

On a Gen 3, the 12V socket is located under the rubber mat at the rear of the centre console.
I believe this is the socket that @CKMAC is trying to avoid using Allan

I don't know the answer to the USB-C question. I thought USB was a much lower voltage than the 12v socket would be.
For what it is worth I have the Porsche front and rear dash cam and the best part of it is that there are no dangly wires. Very professional looking installation and for me, on the level of car I have, it is worth the - admittedly expensive - cost just for that
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

MooseMiller wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:39 am

I don't know the answer to the USB-C question. I thought USB was a much lower voltage than the 12v socket would be.
For what it is worth I have the Porsche front and rear dash cam and the best part of it is that there are no dangly wires. Very professional looking installation and for me, on the level of car I have, it is worth the - admittedly expensive - cost just for that
I agree and that's why Porsche get away with their prices!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
CKMAC

Post by CKMAC »

MooseMiller wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:39 am

The OPC has quoted me the same price as those shown on the Tequipment site and hence I have included it in my order now.