Carbon Fibre trim... real?

Interior and Exterior bodywork Issues and Fixes
Mike993

Post by Mike993 »

Quick question if I may, the carbon fibre sideblades and interior trim on a gen 1 car, is it real or the plastic repro stuff, any idea?

cheers, Mike
2018 GTS Jet Metallic Black with full black leather.

Mike993

Post by Mike993 »

Well that's disappointing, Google tells me it's fake!
2018 GTS Jet Metallic Black with full black leather.
EDZ

Post by EDZ »

This was brought up in a previous post. It’s just an image encased in Perspex/resin and the internal will scratch and mark in the same way as piano black but not so noticeable, even the wood effects are done in the same way. Obviously the cheapest way to do so.
P.S. It’s the same in Gen 1, 2, and 3
Maserati Grecale Trofeo (Primaserie) Collected April 2023
Macan Gen 3 GTS on order: Cancalled April 2023
Macan 2019 GTS Black. (On loan to son in law)
Mini Cooper S (Local run about)
Macan 2016 S D V/Grey (sold)
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

EDZ wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:43 pm This was brought up in a previous post. It’s just an image encased in Perspex/resin and the internal will scratch and mark in the same way as piano black but not so noticeable, even the wood effects are done in the same way. Obviously the cheapest way to do so.
As put on previous thread, this is true except…
It is in fact a piece of carbon. I was shown an internal piece at the OPC which had been sawn through to show the carbon sheet. It is, as you say, encased in a resin “sandwich” in the same way as all the other decorative trims.
As an aside, it is advertised as carbon trim and not “carbon effect” as I’m sure they would have to if it wasn’t genuine carbon.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
EDZ

Post by EDZ »

Jon A wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:16 pm
EDZ wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:43 pm This was brought up in a previous post. It’s just an image encased in Perspex/resin and the internal will scratch and mark in the same way as piano black but not so noticeable, even the wood effects are done in the same way. Obviously the cheapest way to do so.
It is in fact a piece of carbon. I was shown an internal piece at the OPC which had been sawn through to show the carbon sheet. It is, as you say, encased in a resin “sandwich” in the same way as all the other decorative trims.
As an aside, it is advertised as carbon trim and not “carbon effect” as I’m sure they would have to if it wasn’t genuine carbon.
The difference is they do not quote carbon “Fibre” Fibre being the operative word, as used by the OP. And to quote “carbon” it could just be a pencil drawing and be called carbon as it will contain carbon from the pencil, carbon is used widely in many ways and in many things. So what ever it is they encase they do not call it carbon fibre. So the answer to the OP question is that it is not real carbon fibre.
Maserati Grecale Trofeo (Primaserie) Collected April 2023
Macan Gen 3 GTS on order: Cancalled April 2023
Macan 2019 GTS Black. (On loan to son in law)
Mini Cooper S (Local run about)
Macan 2016 S D V/Grey (sold)
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

EDZ wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:46 pm
Jon A wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:16 pm
The difference is they do not quote carbon “Fibre” Fibre being the operative word, as used by the OP. And to quote “carbon” it could just be a pencil drawing and be called carbon as it will contain carbon from the pencil, carbon is used widely in many ways and in many things. So what ever it is they encase they do not call it carbon fibre. So the answer to the OP question is that it is not real carbon fibre.
Yes, it is.I’ve seen it and touched it in cross section from an actual insert from a car!
You can see the weave running through the cross section.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0