About to lock in GTS spec - opinions please!

All your ordering information here!
TEM GTS

Post by TEM GTS »

While I've only just joined the forum, I have been lurking in the background (daily) for the past 10 months! The information you guys provide has been fantastic and has both really helped me decide what I want and what to expect.

My initial plan for for the S, but considering the spec I was looking it, I decided the GTS was better suited considering the additional items it comes with. I placed my deposit in October21 and prepared myself for the long and painful wait.

I had the Experience day at Silverstone last month which was excellent and really whetted my appetite for what is to come (first opportunity to drive a gen3 GTS as original test drive had been in an gen2 S). It surprises you just how capable the car is. While I was under no allusions, it is also obvious it is not as involving to drive as a sports car and carries a large amount of weight (just sold my 987.2 Boxster S).

I finally got the call a couple of weeks ago that I have an allocation (early September build) and I've a couple of weeks left to make any final adjustments to spec. Like many of you, I'm now overly familiar with the configurator and wanted to get some opinions on my choices: http://www.porsche-code.com/PP485LC8

I'm definitely set on Gentian blue and I really like the Python Green GTS pack interior. I think it goes amazing well together, but my concern is I've not seen anyone else consider this, which has made me question my choice (although it's only been possible since the MY23). I quite like the flash of green on the outside with the GTS logo on the sideblades, while it clashes a little with the red callipers, it is small enough to not be a big issue and I'm certainly not paying £581 for the privilege of black callipers!

The items I keep toing and froing on are:
Roof rails - I won't probably use them, but I think it makes the car look more complete from most angles and at least it gives me the option to carry stuff if my situation changes.
Power Steering Plus - While this won't be a daily driver (lucky enough to live five minutes walk to work) , I do live in London and I previously had this on a 4-series and seemed to work well. I've read conflicting opinions on it for the Macan and if it actually has any effect at higher speeds (I know Porsche say it's only up to 20mph or so). Thoughts?

Some minor bug bears of the Gen3:
No Android Auto - I've never been an Apple user. I've read it can been activated with coding but considering the warranty issues, this is a big no no to do
The gear shift surround - why did they remove the leather, the plastic just looks cheaper
The amount of black plastic at the front of the GTS - yes it looks relatively aggressive and I'm sure I will get used to it, but the S looks better in this regard
No 12V socket in passenger footwell (would be easier to connect dashcam out of sight, rather than having to plug it in between the front seats).

I know the car now comes with the dashcam prep. It's designed of course for the dealer supplied dashcam, but I'm wondering if it makes it easier to install my own? The Porsche produce isn't the best and it very vastly overpriced. I know I can't hard wire my own due to risking the warranty, but potentially this prep may make it easier to remove before any dealer visits.

All in all, I'm extremely excised for September!
Macan GTS arrived Sep22!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP6IQD50
Placed deposit Oct21, locked Jul22, delivered Sep22
Sold 987.2 Boxster S Jun22

martinto8

Post by martinto8 »

Blue and Green accents is a new one for me! But if you like that combo that is all that matters!

I wouldn't bother with storage pack as the front under seat compartment is tiny.

For dashcam you dont have to hardwire. You can buy fuse kits and attach it to fuse box and then hide the cabling
Macan GTS on order: http://www.porsche-code.com/PPDF6163
Ordered 25th Aug 2021 - Build slot August 2022, Landed in OPC - 29th September 2022 - Collected 29th November 459 days since ordering!
TEM GTS

Post by TEM GTS »

That is useful to know about the dashcam, but isn't that still classed as hardwiring? Won't Porsche still have an issue if they see I have my own dashcam linked up to the fuse box?

I'm not too fussed about the storage pack but it is a relatively inexpensive option (it all adds up though), and adds the pockets behind the front seats, which is more aesthetically pleasing. I didn't realise just how the small the under front seat draws are (looks like they will hold some sunglasses and little else!).

I guess that you're not a fan of the green with blue! What is great is how different all Porsche's are with so many options to chose from. However, we've all seen some terrible combinations made by others (more difficult to do on a Macan) and I still need some convincing I'm making the right choice or at least not creating a garish example that will be difficult to move on in a few years! I haven't been able to find any real examples of this combo searching online (of any model). I don't want a plain balck interior, dislike the crayon stitching and have had red accents and belts on my previous car, so wanted something a little different. Generally blues and greens do work well together.
Macan GTS arrived Sep22!
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I think green with blue (and red calipers) is a little odd looking, I would go with red interior package and red GTS decal to match calipers.
The seat pockets look truly awful imo as they are the elasticated top type circa 1992 Ford Mondeo - potentially useful but my do they look cheap 😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Jon A wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:58 pm I think green with blue (and red calipers) is a little odd looking, I would go with red interior package and red GTS decal to match calipers.
The seat pockets look truly awful imo as they are the elasticated top type circa 1992 Ford Mondeo - potentially useful but my do they look cheap 😂
I had Mondeo in 1992, no rucked elastic, just smooth close fitting pockets (free) ideal for kids books or later a road atlas! That now lives between the passenger seat and transmission tunnel. :)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

Can't say Gentian blue really works with the Python Green items? but of course its your choice. As painful as it would be, i def think the black calipers would be a must as you'll have 3 exterior colours which is a bit much.

Roof Rails - if you have any possible need for a rooftop box in the future these are factory fit only. So just decide if you either like the look or will need them.

Power Steering Plus - i am on the fence about this too. From what i understand over X MPH its not active at all, so only for low speed maneuvering. I will prob have it on mine but may try with/without first.

Personally i think the front black plastics on the GTS looks far better than the painted bits on the S. Much more aggressive and suits the car better. Sounds like you disagree so horses for courses etc.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

175CDF28-E5CF-46C7-840C-5EDC1F45333F.jpeg

Get a puncture like this and you are screwed, include a spare and buy a repair kit to give options.

Spec looks a bit OTT but the Python Green with the Gentian simply does not work. OK if it is a keeper but for a short term motor it will possibly affect future desirability, I know I would not consider it. My Turbo has partial red interior and when I considered selling it there was definitely anti comments.

Good luck deciding
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Neil1911 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:06 pm
Jon A wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:58 pm I think green with blue (and red calipers) is a little odd looking, I would go with red interior package and red GTS decal to match calipers.
I had Mondeo in 1992, no rucked elastic, just smooth close fitting pockets (free) ideal for kids books or later a road atlas! That now lives between the passenger seat and transmission tunnel. :)
Maybe I was thinking of a Sierra? 😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
TEM GTS

Post by TEM GTS »

I do appreciate the comments on the Gentian with Python interior, which are coming out a little more one sided than i imagined :lol: . I think it really could work but I certainty understand the outside is too busy with the red callipers. If I drop the storage pack (to avoid having it confused with a '92 Mondeo) and speed limit indicator, then I could swallow the cost of the black callipers.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=15138

If I did go for the red stitching, then it's frustrating the GTS logo isn't also in red.

Good point on the spare. I asked the sales guy about it and he said hardly anyone goes for it and I'd be fine with the standard sealant and compressor.

Comparison.jpg

Macan GTS arrived Sep22!
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

The phrase "blue and green should never be seen" comes to mind. Sorry - it's pretty jarring!

You do you, though!
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94