Nearly Ready to order a Macan…

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
pmg

Post by pmg »

Whilst I agree with shopping around between OPC's to find the best build slots and the car the purchaser wants. i do think some of the comments in this thread fail to consider OPC's exist to make money for their owners and the demand for new Macan's exceed supply. I can understand OPC's giving slot priority to orders that maximise their profit. Some OPC's giving priority to orders from regular customers is a variant on this theme.

Personally, I would want a car with a pano roof, but I would be prepared to spec a car with marginal extras I have some use for, increasing the margin for the OPC , if it meant I got a car. I expect ICE Macan production to end with Model year 2024, the queue at some OPC's for S's and GTS's may mean some orders from now on to not get build slots before production ceases.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

SmallWheels wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:21 am My Gen 2 S has minimal options. Definitely no £££ spent on Bose, Leather and Pan Roof. Ignore the salesman and just order the car that you want. I would recommend the surround camera, though. It could save you a lot of money on damage when parking. I can’t see the point of privacy glass – delete it to save £333.

I went on the configurator to check current option prices. Panroof plus Bose is exactly £2k. Leather varies depending on exactly what you spec but could easily end up £1k to £2k.
Your car will be worth less at trade-in time than those with these options but you’re starting with the advantage of having spent £3k to £4k less initially.

As for Base vs T vs S, the V6 in the S will make every journey special and is worth the small cost increment.
My previous car was fully loaded with options, literally had all but 3 options on the list, and when I sold it nobody once asked me what options were on it, so I’m not sure it makes a whole heap of difference to the resale value. They were just interested in mileage and condition. I’ve no doubt if you were selling it privately it would sell quicker with certain options but selling it through dealers it seems to make very little difference in my experience.

That said, and its been said many times on this forum ( including by me ) you are buying the car for you, not for the person after you. So buy what you want / can afford and forget about the next person.

I think your bigger issue selling the car in 4-5 years isn’t going to be if it has a fancy stereo or a sun roof, its going to be the fact that it runs on dinosaur juice which is getting increasingly unpopular.
Quintonside

Post by Quintonside »

Thanks for all comments so far. Really appreciated

Just to clarify how it’s been conveyed…

OPC said that when buying a Porsche their aim is to keep cars in the network and get ‘me’ in a new car after 2-2.5 years. Residuals are set low to enable this to happen ( opposite of say Audi). If I went for a car (any of the 3) and put next to no options on it, they wouldn’t buy it back off me mid contract. Didn’t say it wouldn’t be in equity, but that they’d have no desire to have it back to resell.

They have a couple of cars coming through sooner than standard lead times, but basically said if I’m not speccing up, then I wont get those cars. ( I’ve got another OPC to speak to and ask the same question shortly)

When I say speccing up I went through the configuration with them and added all of the items they considered ‘must have’. Options totalled just shy of £10k on base Macan.

On a connected level two options are heated seats front and rear and also reversing camera and surround view. What does the car have if you don’t pick these? Not even front heated and just parking sensors?
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Quintonside wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:23 am Thanks for all comments so far. Really appreciated

Just to clarify how it’s been conveyed…

OPC said that when buying a Porsche their aim is to keep cars in the network and get ‘me’ in a new car after 2-2.5 years. Residuals are set low to enable this to happen ( opposite of say Audi). If I went for a car (any of the 3) and put next to no options on it, they wouldn’t buy it back off me mid contract. Didn’t say it wouldn’t be in equity, but that they’d have no desire to have it back to resell.

They have a couple of cars coming through sooner than standard lead times, but basically said if I’m not speccing up, then I wont get those cars. ( I’ve got another OPC to speak to and ask the same question shortly)

When I say speccing up I went through the configuration with them and added all of the items they considered ‘must have’. Options totalled just shy of £10k on base Macan.

On a connected level two options are heated seats front and rear and also reversing camera and surround view. What does the car have if you don’t pick these? Not even front heated and just parking sensors?
Front heated seats are standard (how often will rear be used). Parking sensors are standard but camera makes sense, it’s expensive kit to even scuff! 😳
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

If the OPC suggests that with a spec you will be bumped down the queue I cannot advise strongly enough to bump the OPC and go to another but ensuring that they are not in the same franchise.

Here is my take on options or included items:-

1) PASM, vastly improves ride comfort and handling. Without PASM ride will be hard and unforgiving. Air suspension is an option but one best subjected to a very long test drive in an air equipped Macan to verify that motion sickness is not induced.

2) 14 or 18 way seats, standard 8 way can be very unsupportive and uncomfortable. 14 way are the most comfortable but 18 way have a very snug fit for small and medium build people, large framed people will tend to sit on the 18 way instead of in them. 18 way has the extra 4 ways which are purely adjustment if the side bolsters.

3) Wheels, to suit but do consider the ease of cleaning.

4) Spare wheel, should be a no brainer to include in the options, having a spare wheel and buying a separate repair kit gives options in the event of a flat. Consider how you will manage if there is no mobile signal or if the flat occurs after garage closing time.

5) Surround Cam, vastly more useful that RevCam, give selectable views around whole of the car.

6) ACC, works effectively and includes an auto braking system if active but not engaged.

7) Heated steering wheel, my personal favourite. If you have cold hands or circulation problems as I do then this optional extra I have found to be used much more than heated seats.

8) Upgraded audio, moot point and dependent upon your preferences. Bose is expensive for what it is but I personally like the tone and vibrancy of the system. Early Gen 1A Macan’s had a Bose version which differed from Gen 1B (Q3 2016).

9) Storage Pack, if only to provide the pockets on the rear of the front seats to disguise the acres of plastic.

10) Sports Chrono, not strictly necessary but does improve the engine and gearbox response as well as providing an additional suspension setting.

11) 75 litre fuel tank, extra range of the larger tank can be useful.

12 Pano roof, lightens a dark interior. Subjective as to its usefulness and an OPC will probably advise that it improves desirability when it is trade in time.

13) PS+, gives power assisted steering only at parking speeds, as the car increases in speed the assistance reduces to zero.

Base, T or S, do test drive each as they will be very different due to different engines and suspension setups and decide which will be suitable for your lifestyle.

If you look at posts here you will find that there is not that much difference in fuel economy and running costs.

Just played with the Confuserator £62.5k for an S

B297F362-A069-49FA-B783-5A9FB53EE0DD.png

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

^^^ very good summary. Don’t agree with all of it ( be a bit boring if everyone did ) but definitely 90%+.
Quintonside

Post by Quintonside »

And colour is completely subjective I guess, obviously not picking a clashing interior.

I like papaya, Miami, white and crayon

Miami and crayon obviously most expensive

Papaya appreciate not everyone’s bag but is something different and seems to be rare.

White, starting to think I could save a few extra quid and go solid white as opposed to metallic.

Had blacks and greys last few cars so up for a change.

I like silver, but wife and kids says it’s boring 😀
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:34 am If the OPC suggests that with a spec you will be bumped down the queue I cannot advise strongly enough to bump the OPC and go to another but ensuring that they are not in the same franchise.

1) PASM, vastly improves ride comfort and handling. Without PASM ride will be hard and unforgiving. Air suspension is an option but one best subjected to a very long test drive in an air equipped Macan to verify that motion sickness is not induced.

2) 14 or 18 way seats, standard 8 way can be very unsupportive and uncomfortable. 14 way are the most comfortable but 18 way have a very snug fit for small and medium build people, large framed people will tend to sit on the 18 way instead of in them. 18 way has the extra 4 ways which are purely adjustment if the side bolsters.

4) Spare wheel, should be a no brainer to include in the options, having a spare wheel and buying a separate repair kit gives options in the event of a flat. Consider how you will manage if there is no mobile signal or if the flat occurs after garage closing time.

5) Surround Cam, vastly more useful that RevCam, give selectable views around whole of the car.

6) ACC, works effectively and includes an auto braking system if active but not engaged.

7) Heated steering wheel, my personal favourite. If you have cold hands or circulation problems as I do then this optional extra I have found to be used much more than heated seats.

8) Upgraded audio, moot point and dependent upon your preferences. Bose is expensive for what it is but I personally like the tone and vibrancy of the system. Early Gen 1A Macan’s had a Bose version which differed from Gen 1B (Q3 2016).

9) Storage Pack, if only to provide the pockets on the rear of the front seats to disguise the acres of plastic.

10) Sports Chrono, not strictly necessary but does improve the engine and gearbox response as well as providing an additional suspension setting.

12 Pano roof, lightens a dark interior. Subjective as to its usefulness and an OPC will probably advise that it improves desirability when it is trade in time.

13) PS+, gives power assisted steering only at parking speeds, as the car increases in speed the assistance reduces to zero.

Base, T or S, do test drive each as they will be very different due to different engines and suspension setups and decide which will be suitable for your lifestyle.

If you look at posts here you will find that there is not that much difference in fuel economy and running costs.

You really do not NEED items 2,4,5,6,7,8 or 9 above.

Standard 8-way seats are great and comfortable.

Privacy Glass, Panoramic sunroof, Reversing camera and Speed Sign Recognition are items I would always specify on a Macan.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

Who’s to say Macan ICE production will end in 2024.

https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/06/ ... -from-2035
Macan S MY 2023
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

SAC1 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:03 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:34 am If the OPC suggests that with a spec you will be bumped down the queue I cannot advise strongly enough to bump the OPC and go to another but ensuring that they are not in the same franchise.

You really do not NEED items 2,4,5,6,7,8 or 9 above.

Standard 8-way seats are great and comfortable.

Privacy Glass, Panoramic sunroof, Reversing camera and Speed Sign Recognition are items I would always specify on a Macan.
Where did I state the Op needed any of the options I listed?

As for your Speed Sign Recognition suggestion, if anyone needs to include this they really should consider if they are safe to drive. Far better to use the cash on an IAM driving course which will vastly improve their observational skills.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags