Intelligent Speed Assistance

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
REITSY

Post by REITSY »

Read about this a while back but didn't think it was coming so soon. Matter of time before we get it here and it seems from the article that a manadatory retrofit will be done 2024 for EU cars so maybe that comes here also.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/ ... -suit.html

Anyone know if Porsche has indicated whether they will install this on cars in the UK being made this month onwards eventhough it won't be enabled (like it seems Mercedes already is)?

Makanik

Post by Makanik »

I note that you can switch it off (although it defaults to being on at startup). And you can over-ride it, even when it is switched on.

Hopefully manufacturers will make it easy to switch off.
Current: 2022 Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PP4FF9A4
Sold: 2019 Macan S
Sold: 2016 Macan 2.0
Sold: 2011 Cayman
Cobnapint

Post by Cobnapint »

This is going to be an absolute nightmare.
Although it presently only applies to 'new' models launched after July 6th this year (so the Macan EV will be getting it), all models presently in car showrooms must have the tech by July 2024.
And although it can be overridden in the first instance (no doubt by trawling through several menus on your touchscreen), you can bet it'll become compulsory.
It'll almost make buying a performance car completely pointless, I dread to think what it's going to do to sales figures.
MY23 Macan S
2012 Cayenne Diesel
2009 997.2 C4S Cab pdk
2006 997.1 C2S Man
2006 SLK 350 (factory collect)
2004 350Z
1999 Audi TT 225
1990 944 Turbo (250)
1990 Celica GT4
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

It's going to be "interesting" with these new cars so equipped entering a 30 or 40 mph limit from a 60 and the non-fitted following cars just not expecting such a dramatic slow down.

I did read that as we are no longer part of the EU that ISA may not be initiated / turned on, so permanently off, for cars here?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

Lets pray it isn't activated in the UK and that we get our cars before this nonsense comes into effect.
REITSY

Post by REITSY »

I've sent a request to my OPC to see if they know whether all cars leaving the factort are getting it installed but just not activated here in the UK as opposed to Europe. I'll let you know if they tell me anything. The article says in europe for older cars they will have to have it fitted retorspectively and activated within 2 years. I assume if we follow suit not only will it come here for new cars at some point but we'll all get it retro as well :(
Someone mentioned above they thought it would only affect new models like the EV but it won't it affects new cars so S, GTS etc. will get it from next week in Europe.
pstrat

Post by pstrat »

REITSY wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:26 pm I've sent a request to my OPC to see if they know whether all cars leaving the factort are getting it installed but just not activated here in the UK as opposed to Europe. I'll let you know if they tell me anything. The article says in europe for older cars they will have to have it fitted retorspectively and activated within 2 years. I assume if we follow suit not only will it come here for new cars at some point but we'll all get it retro as well :(
Someone mentioned above they thought it would only affect new models like the EV but it won't it affects new cars so S, GTS etc. will get it from next week in Europe.
Isn't it only new models as an immediate change. Macan isnt a new model so will continue as is until summer 2024.
REITSY

Post by REITSY »

pstrat wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:42 pm
REITSY wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:26 pm I've sent a request to my OPC to see if they know whether all cars leaving the factort are getting it installed but just not activated here in the UK as opposed to Europe. I'll let you know if they tell me anything. The article says in europe for older cars they will have to have it fitted retorspectively and activated within 2 years. I assume if we follow suit not only will it come here for new cars at some point but we'll all get it retro as well :(
Isn't it only new models as an immediate change. Macan isnt a new model so will continue as is until summer 2024.
If thats the case then yippee and thanks for clarifying.
Reading the article I will be intrigued how they will retro fit as it will need cameras inserting into the windscreen for cars that didn't option the speed sign reader. Not an impossible retrofit but will be harder on some cars than others.
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

I'll give it about a week for the guys at Cobb or TDI Tuning or any of the other tech wizards to come along with a software flash or plug-in to over ride it without anyone seeing a thing on the ECU.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:01 am It's going to be "interesting" with these new cars so equipped entering a 30 or 40 mph limit from a 60 and the non-fitted following cars just not expecting such a dramatic slow down.

I did read that as we are no longer part of the EU that ISA may not be initiated / turned on, so permanently off, for cars here?
As I mentioned on another thread, the existing system responds to HGV limits in Scotland so it will be even more interesting if a new car suddenly slows due to a limit that doesn't actually apply.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel