New Macan S owner - with grief already :(

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
saxondean

Post by saxondean »

Hi All, A newbie Macan owner who didn't do his due diligence. Looking forward to this forum.

MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Well now you’ve got our attention what’s the problem?
saxondean

Post by saxondean »

Sorry, I thought I save the entire draft of my woes but it only saved the title. I'll come back ASAP.
saxondean

Post by saxondean »

I recently bought a Macan diesel V6 2015 FPSH 41K. I LOVE it. MOT last week advised to check the oil leak found, video through the vents in the belly-pan showed several places. The investigation diagnosed timing chain cover leak & £3.8k repair.
15mins on the net & I find it’s a very well-known issue on V6s, the aluminium cover bolts, over torqued at the factory, shear losing tension. Not all but some, a poll suggests the top accessible 2 on the driver’s side. A note issued by Porsche says bolts can be replaced, presumably by steel ones, & no longer an ‘drop-engine’ job. However, OPC tells me that refers to petrol cars with the TCC at the front, not my diesel’s TCC at the back. Is this correct?? Not been able to find info.
OPC says Porsche may offer £1k ex-gratia payment. I’ve read elsewhere they may cover anything up to the entire cost. When members asked elsewhere, about 1/3, of those who replied, had the same TCC issue.
Just taking stock as to where to go next & any thought would be welcomed.
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

I suppose the obvious question is, where did you buy it? If you got it from an OPC then I would have thought the entire cost is on them.
EDZ

Post by EDZ »

Unfortunate that you never found this forum before purchase. Hopefully you have a warranty ? Most on this forum will always state make sure you bye with a warranty and preferably a Porsche one. Any repair on a Porsche is expensive and there are a few known problems, the other one you need to check is the transfer box ! has it or has it not been replaced another well know issue. Good luck and hope you manage to get it done FOC.
Maserati Grecale Trofeo (Primaserie) Collected April 2023
Macan Gen 3 GTS on order: Cancalled April 2023
Macan 2019 GTS Black. (On loan to son in law)
Mini Cooper S (Local run about)
Macan 2016 S D V/Grey (sold)
saxondean

Post by saxondean »

Sadly, no. Not a dealer of any kind, just private. Should've mentioned the car is out of it's extended warranty by a year.
Having just spoken to a local indie, who was well versed with the issue, suggested initially calling Porsche UK who could help as it's FPSH.
Will keep updated here.
saxondean

Post by saxondean »

EDZ wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:31 am Unfortunate that you never found this forum before purchase. Hopefully you have a warranty ? Most on this forum will always state make sure you bye with a warranty and preferably a Porsche one. Any repair on a Porsche is expensive and there are a few known problems, the other one you need to check is the transfer box ! has it or has it not been replaced another well know issue. Good luck and hope you manage to get it done FOC.
Dunno why I didn't do this prior to buying, I always do - even when buying a fridge :) Guess I got brain-freeze buying my 1st Porsche. Thanks!!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

saxondean wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:09 am I recently bought a Macan diesel V6 2015 FPSH 41K. I LOVE it. MOT last week advised to check the oil leak found, video through the vents in the belly-pan showed several places. The investigation diagnosed timing chain cover leak & £3.8k repair.
15mins on the net & I find it’s a very well-known issue on V6s, the aluminium cover bolts, over torqued at the factory, shear losing tension. Not all but some, a poll suggests the top accessible 2 on the driver’s side. A note issued by Porsche says bolts can be replaced, presumably by steel ones, & no longer an ‘drop-engine’ job. However, OPC tells me that refers to petrol cars with the TCC at the front, not my diesel’s TCC at the back. Is this correct?? Not been able to find info.
OPC says Porsche may offer £1k ex-gratia payment. I’ve read elsewhere they may cover anything up to the entire cost. When members asked elsewhere, about 1/3, of those who replied, had the same TCC issue.
Just taking stock as to where to go next & any thought would be welcomed.
Have you spoken with the OPC that did the last service? Did they flag an oil leak at that time? When was that and at what mileage [vs current mileage]?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Not the same car and not the same issue but the entire steering column on my Evoque failed. I’d given up on the extended warranty after a hassle over a much smaller problem the previous year. The response from the dealership was simply an estimate for a very expensive repair, no offer of help or information. A brief internet search showed that in Canada there had been a total recall for the same issue.
Complaint to JLR resulted in the repair being carried out at no cost. I had a young female case manager who was brilliant at arguing for this on my behalf but it all took quite a bit of pushing by both of us and a few weeks.
Lesson is don’t be fobbed off by the first response and fight your corner. Good luck.