New here. Not an owner

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Didipots

Post by Didipots »

[tag=andreas]
That's very helpful.

I want a good driving experience. Glad to hear the Macan S can deliver that. Mpg is not really a worry, I only do 20 or so miles per day.

Didipots

Post by Didipots »

Jon A wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:48 pm In your position I might look at the Kia e-niro. Top of the range new ‘22 model is £40k with a 280 mile genuine range and a bucketful of tech(most of which is not available in the Macan)
The Macan is a great car but will struggle as a city car in stop start traffic and will be a complete waste of a 3 litre engine.
Thanks Jon. Nothing against Kia, but I want a more enjoyable machine. I'm not after great mpg.

Soon enough we'll all be driving EVs. Whilst I see it a great thing. I do want petrol as my next ride 😁
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Didipots wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:09 pm
Jon A wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:48 pm In your position I might look at the Kia e-niro. Top of the range new ‘22 model is £40k with a 280 mile genuine range and a bucketful of tech(most of which is not available in the Macan)
The Macan is a great car but will struggle as a city car in stop start traffic and will be a complete waste of a 3 litre engine.
Thanks Jon. Nothing against Kia, but I want a more enjoyable machine. I'm not after great mpg.

Soon enough we'll all be driving EVs. Whilst I see it a great thing. I do want to engine petrol in my next ride 😁
Absolutely fair comment. I love my Macan (as most do on here) but to buy one, particularly used, for predominantly London driving would be a challenge. It’s an expensive car to keep rolling and if a good ICE is the goal, one of the BMW E58 engines (3 litre straight six) in an X1,3 or 5 would be better suited to that kind of driving I think as they are bulletproof…
Sounds like I’m anti Macan here but it’s just that very specific parameter of 95% city driving you mentioned…
Having said all that, if it is to be a Macan I would go for a 3.0l petrol just for that other 5% you may drive on the open road. I was loaned a 2.0l for a couple of days and it is vastly inferior in terms of power, performance, sound and smile factor - apart from that it’s ok… 😊
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Didipots

Post by Didipots »

Jon A wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:48 pm
Absolutely fair comment. I love my Macan (as most do on here) but to buy one, particularly used, for predominantly London driving would be a challenge. It’s an expensive car to keep rolling and if a good ICE is the goal, one of the BMW E58 engines (3 litre straight six) in an X1,3 or 5 would be better suited to that kind of driving I think as they are bulletproof…
Sounds like I’m anti Macan here but it’s just that very specific parameter of 95% city driving you mentioned…
Having said all that, if it is to be a Macan I would go for a 3.0l petrol just for that other 5% you may drive on the open road. I was loaned a 2.0l for a couple of days and it is vastly inferior in terms of power, performance, sound and smile factor - apart from that it’s ok… 😊
Totally hear you. Your advice makes sense. I do have to consider other options. And I would love to drive in other conditions. But the fact is I'm stuck in the city, so you're right, I want to be conscious of that too when taking final decision.
Deleted User 4752

Post by Deleted User 4752 »

talking purely financially, £40k is an awful lot of Ubers and Tube tickets. Personally I never drive in London. I walk, take the tube or use Taxi’s ( Ubers or just London Taxi’s, which are usually excellent ). Is that not an option?
pmg

Post by pmg »

I have a friend from university days who in his career as an academic has lived in Harpenden, Glasgow, Luxemborg and Edinburgh. he does not like the hassle of running a car.and apart from when they lived in rural Fife have never owned a car. When they need one for a weekend trip or a UK holiday, they rent one. I can see some urban dwellers owning an Ev for local journeys and renting some interesting ICE for infrequent longer trips out of town
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 4752

pmg wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:32 pm I have a friend from university days who in his career as an academic has lived in Harpenden, Glasgow, Luxemborg and Edinburgh. he does not like the hassle of running a car.and apart from when they lived in rural Fife have never owned a car. When they need one for a weekend trip or a UK holiday, they rent one. I can see some urban dwellers owning an Ev for local journeys and renting some interesting ICE for infrequent longer trips out of town
I can definitely see that. I consider myself a Petrol-head, and have owned cars from Aston Martin, Porsche ( obvs ), BMW, Audi, Mercedes and I’ve also owned motor bikes. If I lived in London I personally wouldn’t own a car but obviously don’t know the OP’s personal circumstances. Not sure I’d chose a macan for London driving but if the OP is set on getting one I think the 2 litre offers identical looks and interior and plenty of horses for sitting in traffic jams.
Didipots

Post by Didipots »

THHGTTG wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:23 pm talking purely financially, £40k is an awful lot of Ubers and Tube tickets. Personally I never drive in London. I walk, take the tube or use Taxi’s ( Ubers or just London Taxi’s, which are usually excellent ). Is that not an option?
I do need to drive family around.
Didipots

Post by Didipots »

THHGTTG wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:48 pm
pmg wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:32 pm I have a friend from university days who in his career as an academic has lived in Harpenden, Glasgow, Luxemborg and Edinburgh. he does not like the hassle of running a car.and apart from when they lived in rural Fife have never owned a car. When they need one for a weekend trip or a UK holiday, they rent one. I can see some urban dwellers owning an Ev for local journeys and renting some interesting ICE for infrequent longer trips out of town
I can definitely see that. I consider myself a Petrol-head, and have owned cars from Aston Martin, Porsche ( obvs ), BMW, Audi, Mercedes and I’ve also owned motor bikes. If I lived in London I personally wouldn’t own a car but obviously don’t know the OP’s personal circumstances. Not sure I’d chose a macan for London driving but if the OP is set on getting one I think the 2 litre offers identical looks and interior and plenty of horses for sitting in traffic jams.
I'm really surprised you all seem to be able to enjoy life outside London. Big reality check for me. I thought some of you might be in London traffic too.

For me having a car is a must. Family and 3 disabled family members don't give me much of an option. I can't have a really small one either.

I used to rent cars for fun during summer, but prices got absurd. Also, my last experience hiring a Taycan just made me think the risks are too high.

That's the 5% out of the city driving I get.
Deleted User 4752

Didipots wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:39 pm
THHGTTG wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:48 pm
I'm really surprised you all seem to be able to enjoy life outside London. Big reality check for me. I thought some of you might be in London traffic too.

For me having a car is a must. Family and 3 disabled family members don't give me much of an option. I can't have a really small one either.

I used to rent cars for fun during summer, but prices got absurd. Also, my last experience hiring a Taycan just made me think the risks are too high.

That's the 5% out of the city driving I get.
Still not sure the macan is a good fit though. As many reviews point out its not all that large in the back and the middle seat isn’t very usable. Obviously I don’t know the nature of the disabilities but my wife struggles to get in the Macan and that’s with comfort seats. I struggled to get in the ones with sport seats ( the side bolsters are really high ). If its a car you’ve always wanted I really don’t want to dissuade you but if its one in a list it may not be the best choice. Again, for clarity, we don’t know all of your circumstances.

If you do go for a macan here are some of my thoughts for a predominantly London based one:

> avoid 21” wheels. They look better but comfort will be more of a requirement than handling. You’re also a lot less likely to kerb 20” wheels ( or 19” if you can handle the aesthetics)

> no need at all for sport chrono

> don’t bother with air suspension. As I understand it the PASM controls comfort levels and air control pitch and roll for when you want to drive like a spanner. Not something you’ll use a lot in London.

> Surround view camera will be an absolute essential

> power steering plus will be an absolute essential unless you want to look like popeye after a few months. This can be retro-fitted on pre Gen 3 cars though if its missing from what you buy

> active cruise control is, surprisingly, an essential too. It works really well in traffic but, most importantly it has all the safety braking features like pedestrian avoidance.

> heated steering wheel and heated screen are probably not required in the few really frosty days a year you’ll get in London ( unless you need a heated steering wheel for circulation issues )

> sports exhaust is probably a bad idea. If anywhere is going to introduce sound controls it will be London. Plus you’ll seldom get the benefit of lots of revs.

> PDLS+ is never worth the money ( but get PDLS if possible ). That said I suppose it never gets dark in London.

> avoid sport seats like the plague. They are quite hard, have very high and uncomfortable bolsters and will give you back ache. The 14 way comfort seats are like sitting in your favourite arm chair. Perfect for London driving. You also wont need the extra bolstering for driving around town. They do look marginally better though

> BOSE, personal preference. It the one thing I really regret not getting.

Hope that helps. As ever the usual caveats that this is all just opinion. Ultimately try and drive a few and see what works best for you.