New here. Not an owner

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Didipots

Post by Didipots »

Hi all,

I've been reading a lot about Macans here on the forum.

I don't own one and never driven one, but considering a Macan as my next car, so trying to learn as much as I can.

Based in SW London and doing 95% city driving.

Cheers

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

For the town work any of the Macan variants would work for you.

MACAN.

Model variant to suit your lifestyle.

Here is my own take on some of the options or standard features (depends upon car age and or variant).

Suggested inclusions to look out for in a pre-owned Macan or to consider adding to your spec if the variant does not include them as standard:-

PASM, vastly improves ride comfort and handling. Without PASM ride will be hard and unforgiving. Air suspension is an option but one best subjected to a very long test drive in an air equipped Macan to verify that motion sickness is not induced.

14 or 18 way seats, standard 8 way can be very unsupportive and uncomfortable. 14 way are the most comfortable but 18 way have a very snug fit for small and medium build people, large framed people will tend to sit on the 18 way instead of in them. 18 way has the extra 4 ways which are purely adjustment if the side bolsters.

Wheels, to suit but do consider the ease of cleaning. Wheels have changed since the Macan was released with Classics and Spyders being initially the most popular and then the Turbo design took over top spot.

Spare wheel, should be a no brainer to include in the options, having a spare wheel and buying a separate repair kit gives options in the event of a flat. Consider how you will manage if there is no mobile signal or if the flat occurs after garage closing time if you do not have any means to change or repair the flat.

Surround Cam, vastly more useful that RevCam, give selectable views around whole of the car.

ACC, works effectively and includes an auto braking system (PAS) if active but not engaged.

Heated steering wheel, my personal favourite. If you have cold hands or circulation problems as I do then this optional extra I have found to be used much more than heated seats.

Upgraded audio, moot point and dependent upon your preferences. Bose is expensive for what it is but I personally like the tone and vibrancy of the system. Early Gen 1A Macan’s had a Bose version which differed from Gen 1B (Q3 2016) and the early standard system also changed. The inbuilt hard drive started as 30Gb but this was reduced to 10Gb mid 2016.

Storage Pack, useful if only to provide the pockets on the rear of the front seats to disguise the acres of plastic.

Sports Chrono, not strictly necessary but does improve the engine and gearbox response as well as providing an additional suspension setting.

75 litre fuel tank, extra range of the larger tank can be useful.

Pano roof, lightens a dark interior. Subjective as to its usefulness and an OPC will probably advise that it improves desirability when it is trade in time. Blocked drains are a weak point in that if blocked water can seep into the interior.

PS+, gives power assisted steering only at parking speeds, as the car increases in speed the assistance reduces to zero.

Headlights, Halogen (avoid any Macan with these or carry two powerful torches), Xenon, then LEDs has been fitted to the car with PDLS or PDLS+. LED’s are the ones to include in your must have if you drive out of town at night for a significant proportion of the time.

Test drive for an extended session your chosen variant, which should have the same suspension, wheel size, seating and power steering as you intend to specify.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Didipots wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:25 pm

Cheers
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Based on where you live and your current usage, I would think carefully about whether the Macan is the right car. It weighs nearly 2 Tonne and in mainly stop start traffic you'll only get around 20mpg. If you do go down the Macan route then give serious thought to the 2L. For open road use an S is a much better choice. If you're going down the second hand route then, with your usage, avoid the diesel.

Good luck.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
pmg

Post by pmg »

On-Track wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:56 pm
Didipots wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:25 pm

Cheers
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Based on where you live and your current usage, I would think carefully about whether the Macan is the right car. It weighs nearly 2 Tonne and in mainly stop start traffic you'll only get around 20mpg. If you do go down the Macan route then give serious thought to the 2L. For open road use an S is a much better choice. If you're going down the second hand route then, with your usage, avoid the diesel.

Good luck.
I agree with Peter; these days for city driving I would buy an EV.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome!

I agree that the 2.0 or T would be worth considering if you do 95% city driving. And definitely not the diesel if you’re mostly doing short trips.

Do you really need an SUV at all, if you’re doing 95% city driving.

Depending on your budget, maybe consider a Taycan? Or wait for the electric Macan?

Cheers,
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Didipots

Post by Didipots »

Thanks a lot for sounding advice already.

I'll be looking for a used car. Not a big budget here, will be around 40k. I don't like diesel engines - but I read on the forum it's a no go for those doing mostly city driving like myself.

I currently drive a GLA 200, I'm used to be getting mid 20s mpg. Do you guys think size, weight and mpg of the Macan will be that different from my current drive?

SUV is a must, we drive in central London, crossing potholes and speed bumps is my boring driving life 😏
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Sounds like the 2.0 Macan may be your best bet.

It has the smallest engine, so lowest emissions (which I guess is a consideration in central London?). And at a guess, the GLA 200 has a 2.0 engine too? 🤔

You should easily be able to compare size and weight (and even ‘urban’ fuel consumption) with a few clicks online. ;)

Cheers,
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Didipots

Post by Didipots »

Wing Commander wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:28 pm Sounds like the 2.0 Macan may be your best bet.

It has the smallest engine, so lowest emissions (which I guess is a consideration in central London?). And at a guess, the GLA 200 has a 2.0 engine too? 🤔

You should easily be able to compare size and weight (and even ‘urban’ fuel consumption) with a few clicks online. ;)

Cheers,
GLA 200 is actually a 1.6l engine. Not responsive and not efficient, which makes it a bad engine.

My car online tends to come at around 31mpg urban. I've never managed over 28. With very smooth and relaxed city driving.

I guess no test can expect the constant stop and go of London.

I'm safe with ULEZ for some time. Only diesel could be a problem.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Didipots wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:19 pm Thanks a lot for sounding advice already.

I'll be looking for a used car. Not a big budget here, will be around 40k. I don't like diesel engines - but I read on the forum it's a no go for those doing mostly city driving like myself.

I currently drive a GLA 200, I'm used to be getting mid 20s mpg. Do you guys think size, weight and mpg of the Macan will be that different from my current drive?

SUV is a must, we drive in central London, crossing potholes and speed bumps is my boring driving life 😏
For city traffic, the Macan could be a soothing environment. The seats are good, there's fairly good visibility, and the auto gearbox is velvety smooth. Smaller wheels will give a better ride, at the expense of appearance! Be sure to get PASM and Surround View. A pano roof would be on my list too, as it gives passengers a great view of the city at night. I'd avoid the 2 litre engine, it's rather unpleasant and will use virtually as much petrol as a 3 litre. I'd avoid ACC; it's not designed for city traffic, and indeed Porsche caution against using it in heavy traffic.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

In your position I might look at the Kia e-niro. Top of the range new ‘22 model is £40k with a 280 mile genuine range and a bucketful of tech(most of which is not available in the Macan)
The Macan is a great car but will struggle as a city car in stop start traffic and will be a complete waste of a 3 litre engine.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0