Colours

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Cause you have the front wheels pulling you through the corner.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Rarecolour wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:22 pm Cause you have the front wheels pulling you through the corner.
But that assumes the vehicle is under power, and also depends on the bias of drive to front and rear wheels. My understanding is PTV operates if it detects understeer by braking the inner rear wheel, regardless of how many wheels are driven.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:03 pm
Rarecolour wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:22 pm Cause you have the front wheels pulling you through the corner.
But that assumes the vehicle is under power, and also depends on the bias of drive to front and rear wheels. My understanding is PTV operates if it detects understeer by braking the inner rear wheel, regardless of how many wheels are driven.
It's part of the LSD system, so normally works while the vehicle is under power.
https://www.porschefremont.com/porsche- ... vectoring/

If the vehicle is AWD the front driven wheels help pull the car round anyway.
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Rarecolour wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:16 pm
It's part of the LSD system, so normally works while the vehicle is under power.

I don't wish to start another PTV+ argument but I think you're slightly off here -

Powered front wheels during a corner will create understeer, not solve it - you need those tyres to be gripping + turning, not accelerating + gripping + turning. What you want in this case is the car to be driving the rear wheels to 'push' you through a corner by rotating the car slightly via oversteer. This is why Audi's famously attracted the term 'Audisteer' to describe the understeer caused by their quattro system putting too much power through the front whilst cornering, resulting in terrible understeer.

The reason for this is fairly simple - if you accelerate, the centre of gravity in the car shifts towards the rear and the car squats down, unweighting the front tyres. This combined with power causes the tyres to become overwhelmed and break traction, introducing understeer.

PTV+ works by braking the inside rear wheel during a corner, thus helping achieve the rotation mentioned above by sending more power to the outside rear wheel. In the case of AWD vehicles, it actively works to correct the understeer introduced by applying power through a corner.

I'm unsure where this 'PTV+ doesn't work for AWD' myth came from. The physics, science and mechanics all exist to actually counteract some of the direct downsides of having an AWD system.
Last edited by Plyphon on Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Plyphon wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:44 am
Rarecolour wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:16 pm

I don't wish to start another PTV+ argument but I think you're slightly off here -

Powered front wheels during a corner will create understeer, not solve it - you need those tyres to be gripping + turning, not accelerating + gripping + turning. What you want in this case is the car to be driving the rear wheels to 'push' you through a corner by rotating the car slightly via oversteer. This is why Audi's famously attracted the term 'Audisteer' to describe the understeer caused by their quattro system putting too much power through the front whilst cornering, resulting in terrible understeer.

The reason for this is fairly simple - if you accelerate, the centre of gravity in the car shifts towards the rear and the car squats down, unweighting the front tyres. This combined with power causes the tyres to become overwhelmed and break traction, introducing understeer.

PTV+ works by breaking the inside rear wheel during a corner, thus helping achieve the rotation mentioned above by sending more power to the outside rear wheel. In the case of AWD vehicles, it actively works to correct the understeer introduced by applying power through a corner.

I'm unsure where this 'PTV+ doesn't work for AWD' myth came from. The physics, science and mechanics all exist to actually counteract some of the direct downsides of having an AWD system.

Quick question then, why is it optional on Porsches "4" models, and not standard if they are that bad?
You comment on Audis Quattro, but times have changed and most vehicles have active bias. Look in your Macan dash and see how the power is split and when.
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
crockers

Post by crockers »

You gotta love how a thread can deviate 🤣
RGS

Post by RGS »

I was just wondering what persuaded you to choose the Macan T when for much the same money or not much more, you could have ordered the Macan S with the superior 2.9 engine and which is generally regarded as the sweet spot in the Macan line up ?
crockers

Post by crockers »

Good Question and one I’ve asked myself.
Firstly around 5 mpg difference ( I know a weak argument)
Secondly there is a max budget I can afford - when I option up the S it’s about £5k more.
My wife doesn’t want a V6. It was hard enough convincing her to go 💯 % petrol.
She wants all the safety items we have on the Volvo so cutting spec back would be difficult.
Also the wait for a T is long the wait for a S is almost double that.
But yes I can see why you’re asking the Question as it’s one I ask myself 😎
PowerMalc

Post by PowerMalc »

crockers wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:36 am You gotta love how a thread can deviate 🤣
Oh, are we onto deviated stitching now? :lol:
https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PPHDBG45
Macan S ordered 14-1-22 Gentian, extended Mojave, Walnut, Air, sunroof, 14 way, ACC, LCA, keyfree, surround, spare, HFW, PS+, PDLS+, Heated wheel, rear airbags, autodim, vented seats
crockers

Post by crockers »

PowerMalc wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:44 am
crockers wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:36 am You gotta love how a thread can deviate 🤣
Oh, are we onto deviated stitching now? :lol:
Better than deviant. 🤪