Trickle charger connection

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
RGS

Post by RGS »

I use a CTec charger and connect to the socket in the boot as it's more convenient for me. I lay the cable on the boot rubber with a soft cloth over it, that enables me to close and lock the boot without causing any damage. The other socket inside the car can equally be used but you will need the CTec adapter for both sockets to plug the cable in and make a connection. In addition, you need to liven up the car sockets by just switching the ignition on briefly then the car will accept the charger and it can be left connected as long as you like and maintain the correct charge to the battery until you are ready to disconnect.

r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

petew0557 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:03 pm if you're parking the car for 2 to 3 months would you put it on axle stands to save tyres?
No, ive left my previous Macan and cars for longer and never had tyre issues. With the new Macan having tracker etc, i want to try maintain the battery.
Macan GTS collected 01/092022 - PN4IVH48

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Previous - 991.1 TTS met an untimely and sad end.
Previous - 2008 997 Turbo traded for TurboS
Previous - 2003 986 BoxsterS Sold due to needing a 3rd seat :D
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

New User wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:23 pm I need my Gen3 to be trickle charged for similar reasons to you and have a CTEK charger connected to the underbonnet terminals that you describe.

I used the crocodile clips that came with the charger but have recently wired in the quick connection kit to the same terminals. No faffing about with cigarette lighter sockets and ignition switches either way.
Great to know. Ive managed to attach the crocodile clips in place, had to watch the positive clip as it looked very close to being pushed by the bonnet noise proofing.

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I would suggest that you do not leave the car.

I had to leave mine for 7 weeks in 2019 and on return it had a flat battery and Porsche Rescue attended and eventually jump started my car which run like it was running on one if the six cylinders.

Porsche Rescue had to take the car to the OPC for them to reset it.

Connecting to the battery is a better option for the long term, an extension lead with a socket is only a few £

C900D856-C4B3-4A4F-8515-7D85FFEC128B.jpeg

Last edited by Col Lamb on Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

System is throwing a wobbler in double posting
Last edited by Col Lamb on Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Col
Macan Turbo
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:07 pm I would suggest that you do not leave the car.

I had to leave mine for 7 weeks in 2019 and on return it had a flat battery and Porsche Rescue attended and eventually jump started my car which run like it was running on one if the six cylinders.
Cant take it to Hong Kong with me :D

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
New User

Post by New User »

Enjoy HK. Never made it out of the Terminal (apart from the Ferry/Bridge to Zhuhai) but once Covid restrictions calm down will try and find the time to do it. For a period it seemed like the The Pier and Wing were a second home😉
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

New User wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:24 pm Enjoy HK. Never made it out of the Terminal (apart from the Ferry/Bridge to Zhuhai) but once Covid restrictions calm down will try and find the time to do it. For a period it seemed like the The Pier and Wing were a second home😉
Its a great place, great hiking, public transport, weather....errrrm but with Quarantine & compulsory mask wearing it is a pain, along with the continuous PCR testing etc! They are still trying to save face and not admit the fact the rest of the world is living with it. They will catch up eventually.

Previous - 2015 Macan SD
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

I've left mine for months several times. Always used the crock clips with the CTeck, attached to the terminals under the bonnet, on the top N/S front scuttle.
As said just make sure the pos lead will not connect with the metal bonnet when it closes.
And never had a problem with tyres on return. Just make sure they are to full operating pressure.
Hope that helps.