My First GTS spec

All your ordering information here!
pmg

Post by pmg »

Rarecolour wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:43 pm
pmg wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:55 pm
Rarecolour wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:18 pm

How can it do a better job than the driver using the 3 mirrors available and the view from through the windscreen?
Because the mirrors do not give full coverage and even if they did you cannot both be looking in the mirrors and forward as well. Also, there will always be some slight time delay between the stages of mirror, signal and manoeuvre and LCA/BSM helps with late changes behind
Sorry, but the 3 mirrors give you FULL view of everything behind you.
Sorry that is just not true. Most cars have blind spots
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Pmg, I've just read what you used to do for a living. Don't bother responding to my post above, I don't have the energy :lol:
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Oh crap, I was too late.
Nah, blind spot on a vehicle with a rear view mirror is cause you haven't being paying attention!!
I drive a van every day without a rear view mirror, I set my mirrors up and pay attention to what's going on.
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I too used to drive my old lotus through central London to my office using only mini metro wing mirrors and I didn’t kill Myself or any knob head cyclists

The car had a rear view mirror which was only useful for looking at the much bigger inter cooler that I had installed !
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

This is an interesting discussion on the pros and cons of the various 'safety' systems on cars nowadays that, in the main, have been mandated by EU bureaucrats. My 2017 Macan didn't have most of them and thankfully those it did could be switched off. My Defender has all of these 'driver interference' systems but again, most can be switched off, at least at a first level response while things like ultimate AEB can remain on in the background.

I'm happy for any of these systems to give me a brief visual or audible warning if it detects a potential collision, and there have been one or two occasions where it's happened before I've seen the threat during visual checks, but what I really object to is any system operating the brakes and steering without warning in normal driving conditions. Fortunately in the Defender this type of first level response can be switched off but I know that in many cars they can't. Even then, the car has decided to apply the brakes a few times when there has been no real risk of collision, and I'm afraid this will always be the case with computer controlled systems. It's the same with ACC, I find I can make a much better job maintaining smooth progress on a busy motorway. But regarding things like optional LCA and LKA, if I were to buy another Porsche I certainly wouldn't be specifying them.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Like most discussions on this forum, people's opinion will not be changed by what they have read. When it comes to LCA, there is one occasion where it has a greater field of view than the door mirrors and that is joining a motorway from the slip road. You can check in your mirrors and look over your shoulder to confirm the inside lane is clear but when some idiot in the outer lanes decides to change lanes regardless of the big red car (in my case) on the slip road it gives you earlier warning.

Lane Departure Warning (supplied as standard) has been switched off since the day I bought the car and Lane Keeping Assist just encourages inattention and (in my opinion) can be dangerous.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
pmg

Post by pmg »

On-Track wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:03 am Like most discussions on this forum, people's opinion will not be changed by what they have read. When it comes to LCA, there is one occasion where it has a greater field of view than the door mirrors and that is joining a motorway from the slip road. You can check in your mirrors and look over your shoulder to confirm the inside lane is clear but when some idiot in the outer lanes decides to change lanes regardless of the big red car (in my case) on the slip road it gives you earlier warning.

Lane Departure Warning (supplied as standard) has been switched off since the day I bought the car and Lane Keeping Assist just encourages inattention and (in my opinion) can be dangerous.
plus one.

I must in about ten years time when fully autonomous vehicles are licensed and will bring continued mobility to many aged people who may otherwise lose the convenience of personal transport, I trust the critics of modern safety systems on this forum will be staying at home in their later years. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

pmg wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:29 am
On-Track wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:03 am Like most discussions on this forum, people's opinion will not be changed by what they have read. When it comes to LCA, there is one occasion where it has a greater field of view than the door mirrors and that is joining a motorway from the slip road. You can check in your mirrors and look over your shoulder to confirm the inside lane is clear but when some idiot in the outer lanes decides to change lanes regardless of the big red car (in my case) on the slip road it gives you earlier warning.

plus one.

I must in about ten years time when fully autonomous vehicles are licensed and will bring continued mobility to many aged people who may otherwise lose the convenience of personal transport, I trust the critics of modern safety systems on this forum will be staying at home in their later years. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ok, message received! :lol: :shock:
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

pmg wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:29 am

plus one.

If the good lord spares me, I'll only be 53 so should be ok to still use my eyes 🤞🏻
Ex -
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

I can't believe some of you wouldn't spec a system designed to save your bacon over some macho sense of "being able to drive properly". That's honestly the biggest amount of nonsense I've read in a while.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94