pmg

Post by pmg »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:18 am Self-Steering Park Assist
7X5
£ 245.00
Speed limit indicator
QR9
£ 185.00
Lane Change Assist (blind spot monitoring)
7Y1
£ 413.00
Lane Keeping Assist
£415.00

You can ditch all of these.

In fact I would also remove the Race tek steering wheel and just include a standard heated steering wheel
While I can see a case for not purchasing self steering park assist, and lane keeping assist (optional luxuries), I think the Col's advice to drop lane change / assist blind spot monitoring (LCA/BSM) is very dangerous for any regular user of motorways and dual carriageways. I can think of many instances with the many idiots on the road who do dangerous lane hopping and undertaking, LCA/BSM is a crash safer that no element of constant monitoring of mirrors would provide the same coverage.

I believe heated steering wheels are a very optional luxury and safe equipment like LCA/BSM should take far higher priority in any car spec.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I can see the theoretical argument for blind spot monitoring but I’ve got a Kia with it and a Macan without it and it drives me insane on the Kia. It’s forever squawking at me when cars are overtaking or I have my indicator on waiting for the lane to clear, even though all were obvious in the mirrors.
I drove for 30 years without this tech and never once have I had an issue - good in theory, pretty average in real life I think, the sort of thing I wouldn’t pay a penny extra for.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

pmg wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:31 am
I can think of many instances with the many idiots on the road who do dangerous lane hopping and undertaking, LCA/BSM is a crash safer that no element of constant monitoring of mirrors would provide the same coverage.
How can it do a better job than the driver using the 3 mirrors available and the view from through the windscreen?
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
pmg

Post by pmg »

Rarecolour wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:18 pm
I can think of many instances with the many idiots on the road who do dangerous lane hopping and undertaking, LCA/BSM is a crash safer that no element of constant monitoring of mirrors would provide the same coverage.
How can it do a better job than the driver using the 3 mirrors available and the view from through the windscreen?
Because the mirrors do not give full coverage and even if they did you cannot both be looking in the mirrors and forward as well. Also, there will always be some slight time delay between the stages of mirror, signal and manoeuvre and LCA/BSM helps with late changes behind
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

pmg wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:55 pm
Because the mirrors do not give full coverage and even if they did you cannot both be looking in the mirrors and forward as well. Also, there will always be some slight time delay between the stages of mirror, signal and manoeuvre and LCA/BSM helps with late changes behind
Did you crash a lot before it?
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
pmg

Post by pmg »

Tracky wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:17 pm

Did you crash a lot before it?
No but roads have got more crowed since I have had BSM and I can think of instances since I have had BSM since 2014 where it has saved a crash
HertsMacan

Post by HertsMacan »

Tracky wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:55 am
Plyphon wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:48 pm
Tracky wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:10 pm get a Tesla if you want to keep the dogs in the car !

Few things to drop unless you see the benefit but the acoustic glass seems like a waste as probably is the ACC in London !
Counter-opinion - ACC also contains the crash prediction / auto emergency stop thing which can be very handy in London, as people tend to do erratic and crazy things on London roads.
Or learn to concentrate properly when driving?

Hate those that say they bought that option because they have no trust in their ability to stop in time ….. god knows how we got by before - I’m surprised most of us aren’t already dead having rear ended somebody before before ACC was available
Its not about ability or trust in ones driving, its about having a back up system as belt and braces. When I learnt to drive I was taught to pump the brake if the wheels locked up - doesn't mean I wouldn't spec ABS if it wasn't standard.
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

The problem with ACC is that it is a one trick pony. Car in front brakes, it brakes. Car in front accelerates, it accelerates 2 seconds later. Reason is that it can't see why the car in front is braking or accelerating whereas we can. It cannot just ease off or on as we do 90% of the time. I never use it now as it just annoys me and most probably anyone following me wondering why I'm braking so often.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Bluesnose1812 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:30 pm The problem with ACC is that it is a one trick pony. Car in front brakes, it brakes. Car in front accelerates, it accelerates 2 seconds later. Reason is that it can't see why the car in front is braking or accelerating whereas we can. It cannot just ease off or on as we do 90% of the time. I never use it now as it just annoys me and most probably anyone following me wondering why I'm braking so often.
It’s not the theory, it’s the system Porsche use that is limited. I had a Merc that eased off acceleration before applying brakes if needed and it was superb. The Macan is just brakes off or on and can be a bit less smooth as a result. Having said that I use mine every day to keep to speed limits etc and find it very useful…
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Sorry, but the 3 mirrors give you FULL view of everything behind you. You don't have to be checking them all the time, if you're going to be changing direction then you shouldn't be doing it in a split second, you should be making sure it's safe to do so in well advance.
There's a big percentage of time that your attention is fully on what's going on in front of you, and there should be enough room between you and the vehicle in front to give you the opportunity to check what's behind and to the sides of you. I personally can't see how the options above are better than that.
I agree they will help if you're not one to concentrate fully on driving, but then you shouldn't be on the road imo and this would stop a good amount of accidents going on these days.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)