718 speakers upgrade advice

The place to discuss everything else..
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Hi all
Many of you will know how I support the sound quality of the Macan base sound system which I think is very good.
However, we have just picked up a 718 Boxster with base system (2019) and this 110w system is not good at all. The main problem is resonation from the door cards at any reasonable volume but overall clarity is crap too.
I understand that the door cards in the 718 are not soundproof in any way and a change of speakers plus some decent sound deadening will improve things a lot - has anybody done this at all?
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0

Gibberish

Post by Gibberish »

Jon A wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:36 am Hi all
Many of you will know how I support the sound quality of the Macan base sound system which I think is very good.
However, we have just picked up a 718 Boxster with base system (2019) and this 110w system is not good at all. The main problem is resonation from the door cards at any reasonable volume but overall clarity is crap too.
I understand that the door cards in the 718 are not soundproof in any way and a change of speakers plus some decent sound deadening will improve things a lot - has anybody done this at all?
The last time I upgraded speakers I had a 306 DTurbo 🙈

I had a loan 718 Boxster and I also thought the sound quality was poor although didn't Listen to anything at volume, I'm sure a good car audio/electronic company would be able to source something suitable and apply sound deadening, I'm not sure on how warranty could be affected but I suppose if they don't see it they won't know 😉
Sold : 2012 981 Boxster S
Sold : 2016 981 Boxster Spyder
Sold: 2017 pdk 718 Cayman S
Sold : 2022 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 pdk PNPZ3NJ9
Sold : 2022 Macan GTS PP6I14Y4
Current: 2018 Gen2 Macan Base (hers)
Due 2023 718 Spyder PPFDEYX7
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Gibberish wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:09 pm

I had a loan 718 Boxster and I also thought the sound quality was poor although didn't Listen to anything at volume, I'm sure a good car audio/electronic company would be able to source something suitable and apply sound deadening, I'm not sure on how warranty could be affected but I suppose if they don't see it they won't know 😉
Reading the 718 forums (which I suppose where I should have posted) a big improvement can be had by changing door speakers and adding sound deadening for a couple of hundred quid. Probably go this route as not looking for “great” just everyday acceptable…
Gibberish

Post by Gibberish »

Jon A wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:14 pm

Reading the 718 forums (which I suppose where I should have posted) a big improvement can be had by changing door speakers and adding sound deadening for a couple of hundred quid. Probably go this route as not looking for “great” just everyday acceptable…
A few of the guys on the Boxster/ Cayman FB group have changed the door speakers, something that should be relatively easy to do.
Gibberish

Post by Gibberish »

Hi Jon,
I have just found this, maybe helpful.

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Gibberish wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:35 pm

Hi Jon,
I have just found this, maybe helpful.

Perfect Gibberish and just what I’m looking for - many thanks mate 👍
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

So just a quick update on this.
I had the Boxster speakers “fettled” by CEN auto electrical in Nottingham today. The plan was change speakers and add sound insulation to inside of the doors but the plan got changed! Apparently the new speakers didn’t perform as well as the Porsche items in a back to back test and to get a better sound stage would require a different amp. This was not the route I wanted to go down but they advised that the Boxster has virtually zero insulation and doing a “stage 5 insulation job” would make a huge difference - I advised to go ahead and this has taken six hours to accomplish!
Net result is a night and day difference in sound quality with rich base that doesn’t resonate even at very high volumes. Now this is not surround and there is no subwoofer, just stereo door speakers so my expectation was to achieve serviceable quality at say 80% full volume.
I can happily report that is exactly what I have now got (Mrs A to be precise).
They do loads of Porsches with varying degrees of upgrades and he tells me that Macan has best insulation but still could be a lot better. The worst is 718 and Taycan!
Next week is adding the power steering plus so will report on that too but should be what it says on the tin.
Gibberish

Post by Gibberish »

Jon A wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:22 pm So just a quick update on this.
I had the Boxster speakers “fettled” by CEN auto electrical in Nottingham today. The plan was change speakers and add sound insulation to inside of the doors but the plan got changed! Apparently the new speakers didn’t perform as well as the Porsche items in a back to back test and to get a better sound stage would require a different amp. This was not the route I wanted to go down but they advised that the Boxster has virtually zero insulation and doing a “stage 5 insulation job” would make a huge difference - I advised to go ahead and this has taken six hours to accomplish!
Net result is a night and day difference in sound quality with rich base that doesn’t resonate even at very high volumes. Now this is not surround and there is no subwoofer, just stereo door speakers so my expectation was to achieve serviceable quality at say 80% full volume.
They do loads of Porsches with varying degrees of upgrades and he tells me that Macan has best insulation but still could be a lot better. The worst is 718 and Taycan!
Next week is adding the power steering plus so will report on that too but should be what it says on the tin.
I suppose it shows how good the standard Porsche speakers are too, i suppose this mod would also be safe against affecting warranty as nothing has really been changed.

Are you Nottingham Based Jon?

I Grew up in Mapperley, only moved slightly north 3 years ago 🙂
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Gibberish wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:50 pm
Jon A wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:22 pm So just a quick update on this.
I suppose it shows how good the standard Porsche speakers are too, i suppose this mod would also be safe against affecting warranty as nothing has really been changed.

Are you Nottingham Based Jon?

I Grew up in Mapperley, only moved slightly north 3 years ago 🙂
Yes, West Bridgeford born and bred but South Derbyshire for last 30 years but still only 12 miles from Nottm.
Re warranty, nothing has changed in terms of electrics and you would have to remove the door cards to see it. The speakers are matched to the head unit and both are probably average in reality but certainly not crap - just zero sound insulation which makes such a difference.
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Insulation is one of the most important jobs when playing with sound.
Glad you've got a good outcome.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)