Comparisons eight months in.

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

crockers wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:53 am
Col Lamb wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:22 am
crockers wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:53 am I think the T has also had suspension tweaks to give it more of a rear wheel bias. I’m looking forward to mine in March but as I’ve ordered a second one already I’m toying with swapping that to an S. when I go on the PEC I’ll try the S and then make up my decision. Problem will be as to what options to drop to bring the price down to a sensible level. My problem is “it’s only x£” keeps popping up. In all honesty the S is £5-6k more than the comparable T.

Mind you this is from a moaner who ordered a watch for £6k but ended up walking out with a £9k one doh 🙄
You want to keep costs to a Sensible level?

Then you spend £9k on a watch when the time is always at hand on your iPhone.

Sell the watch and put the cash towards a decent engine in your next Macan.

Bling, forget

Only essentials are comfortable seats, PASM, Surround Cam and a spare so easily the costs can be constrained.
I've had to wait longer for the watch than the Macan 🤣🤣

And if bought right, the watch could be an appreciating asset. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

GWL

Post by GWL »

Over the last few months I've had 3 loan cars from Reading OPC, all of them Gen 3 Macan 2.0l. Each had a slightly different spec which made for very good comparison of the different config options.

My main takeaways were :
  • There was, for me, no discernible difference in ride between the 2 Macans with 20" wheels, one of which had air suspension. (There was a noticeably firmer ride on the model with 21" wheels, no air).
  • I preferred the GT steering wheel
  • I would go for an S rather than a 2.0l (though I would be coming from a Turbo)
  • I like "Comfort Access" / keyless entry
  • Crayon looked better in the flesh than on the configurator - and far better than the black Macan of the trio
Anyway, nothing earth shattering, but it's saved me the cost of spec'ing my next Macan with Air Suspension (with anything up to 20" wheels).
Current car : Macan GTS Gen 2
Previous :
Macan Turbo Gen 1 - my 1st Porsche :D
BMW X1 (F48)
BMW M135i
Deleted User 5286

Post by Deleted User 5286 »

My original order was for the 2l as I was looking for an SUV which had decent road holding and handled nicely but as long as it could make decent headway was not too worried about straight line speed….
However 3 months after and reading comments from certain members on this forum decided to re appraise and after some back to back testing changed my order to an S.
My advice to anybody is certainly try both for a long test drive…if necessary cut out all the external bling which Porsche tempt you with and stick just with some essentials (as mentioned above).
Just for the record I’m am a real fan of the 2l VAG engine (my wife still teases me about her Golf R 7.5 being faster!) but the 2.9 just works so well with such a heavy bus of a Macan!
pmg

Post by pmg »

Wing Commander wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:45 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:22 am

You want to keep costs to a Sensible level?

Then you spend £9k on a watch when the time is always at hand on your iPhone.

Sell the watch and put the cash towards a decent engine in your next Macan.

Bling, forget

Only essentials are comfortable seats, PASM, Surround Cam and a spare so easily the costs can be constrained.

I heard of someone who agreed to his OPC's offer of one of their 2 allocated 718 GT4 RS's was he had to add a PTS colour tp spec and spend £10K on a Porsche watch!! The car may appreciate but my not too sure about the watch!! He has already bought 14 Porsches from them over the years.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
BanZ

Post by BanZ »

pmg wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:18 am
Wing Commander wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:45 pm

I heard of someone who agreed to his OPC's offer of one of their 2 allocated 718 GT4 RS's was he had to add a PTS colour tp spec and spend £10K on a Porsche watch!! The car may appreciate but my not too sure about the watch!! He has already bought 14 Porsches from them over the years.
Wow, Porsche ‘loyalty’
ghostwalker

Post by ghostwalker »

cowdray2 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:41 am My original order was for the 2l as I was looking for an SUV which had decent road holding and handled nicely but as long as it could make decent headway was not too worried about straight line speed….
However 3 months after and reading comments from certain members on this forum decided to re appraise and after some back to back testing changed my order to an S.
My advice to anybody is certainly try both for a long test drive…if necessary cut out all the external bling which Porsche tempt you with and stick just with some essentials (as mentioned above).
Just for the record I’m am a real fan of the 2l VAG engine (my wife still teases me about her Golf R 7.5 being faster!) but the 2.9 just works so well with such a heavy bus of a Macan!
Good advice here I would say. The 2.0 may be the bestseller worldwide but it’s not really the enthusiast’s choice.

😂 I think the Macan S is now quicker than the 7.5 R? Remember there’s now 380hp in the S - it’s the same as the Gen 2 GTS which I had, and that was under 13 over the 1/4 mile, whereas the 7.5 R is in the low 13s. The new GTS is low-mid 12s, same as the Gen 2 Turbo, and is pretty much 8Y RS3 territory.
Previous: 2021 Macan GTS Volcano Grey http://www.porsche-code.com/PMMW6S58
On order: 2023 Macan GTS Python Green http://www.porsche-code.com/PPQHXNI1
Deleted User 5286

Post by Deleted User 5286 »

😂 I think the Macan S is now quicker than the 7.5 R? Remember there’s now 380hp in the S - it’s the same as the Gen 2 GTS which I had, and that was under 13 over the 1/4 mile, whereas the 7.5 R is in the low 13s. The new GTS is low-mid 12s, same as the Gen 2 Turbo, and is pretty much 8Y RS3 territory.
[/quote]

On paper the 0-60 times are very similar due to Power to Wait ratios...mid range 'the bus' as my wife refers to my pride and joy would wipe the floor with the Golf (I hope)...we are due to take both cars up to Bruntingthorpe Airfield over New Years break for a 'gentle' track day , so a CarWow style shoot out will have to be undertaken!
Clearly I will remove the spare wheel, and most of the fuel from the Macan..whilst ensuring she has a full tank of 95 Ron fuel ! :D :D If I loose she is going to be intolerable
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

cowdray2 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:06 pm
....... Clearly I will remove the spare wheel, and most of the fuel from the Macan..whilst ensuring she has a full tank of 95 Ron fuel ! :D :D If I loose she is going to be intolerable
If she's anything like my wife you probably have to lose 20kg from around your waist by then too, 😂
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

crockers wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:41 am
LOL. Nah its been promised to my grandson on his 21st.
I bet he'd prefer a classic V6 Porsche, doubly so with the new stuff likely to be on offer come his 21st!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP