Porsche Fires Up Production of eFuel, Made from Water in Chile

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

20 Deceenber 2022:

"It's experimental now, but Porsche will be selling this environmentally responsible fuel for cars in the millions of gallons by the end of the decade."

"South American wind will soon be powering Porsche vehicles around the world thanks to a new biofuel plant that started production today. The automaker announced that its pilot plant in Punta Arenas, Chile, successfully produced its first liters of eFuel, Porsche's name for its synthetic fuel, which is made from water and carbon dioxide using renewable energy."

See the report from Car & Driver...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4229 ... nfJEdmmCIg
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

All well and good but a great, CO2 belching Tanker will still be required to transport the “apparent” responsible fuel from Chile all the wayto Europe.

Yet King Charles powers his 1970 Aston Martin on e85 which is made by fermenting the leftovers from the British Cheese and Wine industries.

Qudos to him and others like him on sourcing UK produce.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
pmg

Post by pmg »

No mention or indication of how expensive the fuel will be.

Also, even if the fuel becomes available in major centres of population will be sometime before adequate distribution network established. I cannot imagine being able to the North Coast 500 fuelled buy it
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
GTB

Post by GTB »

There is already work going on to build these plants globally, if you read up on everything about efuel, the distribution, storage dispensing and use is exact same as normal petrol. So NO Ships/tankers coming from Chile or investment required in distribution. All that will happen is your normal petrol tanker instead of going to the local oil refinery to fill up and then deliver to your petrol station, will now go and fill up at the eFuel facility and deliver the efuel to your local petrol station where you will use the existing dispensers to fuel your car exactly as it is just now.

This plant is demonstrating the efuel can be produced, the science and engineering works and dependable and can be scaled up, they are fine tuning the chemicals/additives and then they are good to ramp up for global rollouts, yes its expensive to get the new plants built, but building an oil refinery and cracker units and distallation units to produce petrol and diesel wasnt cheap either,

Certainly a game changer as the motorist will see no diffrence, and thats what I like about it, may be a few years away yet, but what would you prefer or in fact why not run a poll??

Trade in your Porsche and other ICE cars and buy an electric car? or hold on , keep your Porsche, other ICE cars and just fill up with efuel instead of natural petrol as you do at the moment? I know what I will prefer.

Cheers GTB.
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

GTB wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:26 pm There is already work going on to build these plants globally, if you read up on everything about efuel, the distribution, storage dispensing and use is exact same as normal petrol. So NO Ships/tankers coming from Chile or investment required in distribution. All that will happen is your normal petrol tanker instead of going to the local oil refinery to fill up and then deliver to your petrol station, will now go and fill up at the eFuel facility and deliver the efuel to your local petrol station where you will use the existing dispensers to fuel your car exactly as it is just now.

This plant is demonstrating the efuel can be produced, the science and engineering works and dependable and can be scaled up, they are fine tuning the chemicals/additives and then they are good to ramp up for global rollouts, yes its expensive to get the new plants built, but building an oil refinery and cracker units and distallation units to produce petrol and diesel wasnt cheap either,

Certainly a game changer as the motorist will see no diffrence, and thats what I like about it, may be a few years away yet, but what would you prefer or in fact why not run a poll??

Trade in your Porsche and other ICE cars and buy an electric car? or hold on , keep your Porsche, other ICE cars and just fill up with efuel instead of natural petrol as you do at the moment? I know what I will prefer.

Cheers GTB.
I don’t think it’s about what we prefer. E fuel is just produced from non fossil fuel component’s it still gives off carbon when it burns, may be a bit less than petrol, but carbon neutral it ain’t.
It’s the kind of thing they would use to keep old ICE cars on the road temporarily- it’s electric or hydrogen moving forward not combustion sadly.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

^^^^^Here, here GTB.

Count me in for eFuel use in the future to keep current ICE vehicles on the road. If not then hydrogen if they can get the infrastructure in place in the next 10 years.

Never been convinced that EVs are the only solution. I read that the breakeven for the 2-3 ton EV SUVs is now 5-7 years because of the CO2 generated to produce the vehicle and battery. Not to mention what's produced by transporting by ship / HGV from factory to consumer.

China is already producing over 50% of all the global EVs. Do we want to put so much of the future personal transportation in that basket?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
GTB

Post by GTB »

Jon A wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:11 pm
GTB wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:26 pm There is already work going on to build these plants globally, if you read up on everything about efuel, the distribution, storage dispensing and use is exact same as normal petrol. So NO Ships/tankers coming from Chile or investment required in distribution. All that will happen is your normal petrol tanker instead of going to the local oil refinery to fill up and then deliver to your petrol station, will now go and fill up at the eFuel facility and deliver the efuel to your local petrol station where you will use the existing dispensers to fuel your car exactly as it is just now.

Cheers GTB.
I don’t think it’s about what we prefer. E fuel is just produced from non fossil fuel component’s it still gives off carbon when it burns, may be a bit less than petrol, but carbon neutral it ain’t.
It’s the kind of thing they would use to keep old ICE cars on the road temporarily- it’s electric or hydrogen moving forward not combustion sadly.
JonA

Respect your views but EV's are not exactly carbon neutral eitehr when you look at the life cycle impacts also where the electricity is produced to charge them, I have always said and even on here, there is no single fuel solution, it is what will suit your own personal use for your vehicle and your own morals and beliefs. Without doubt electric cars will suit many people, likewise Hydrogen fuel cell cars, the petrol we put in our cars today is totally diffrent from what we filled cars up with forty years ago, e.g no lead but also with emmissions technolodgy far less pollution and particles coming out the exhaust pipe and improvements in emmissions will continue. With 300 Million ICE cars in North America, you can forget them all going Electric, I have seen the Efuel investments advancing greatly over the last eighteen months, why? well 300 Million cars ready already to run on it in the U.S.A without changing a thing other than building the plants once they have fine tuned the fuel and unit per gallon cost is comparible with 100% crude oil based fuel.

The UK appears to be the only place where our politicians think we can go 100% EV!.

Anyway season of goodwill etc we all have our own views but Efuel will be a game changer.

Merry Xmas GTB
Current Macan GTS Collected July 2022 https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PNM4GBM0
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Agree with every single word there GTB. my point is that ICE cars will be unavailable to buy at a certain point whether that’s 10 years or 30 years and ICE cars will then wear out and die, so “temporary” could be 20 years or 50 years but efuel will not be the future.
I’m a petrol head so I find it sad, but it looks like this is the direction of travel…
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

When they realise new car sales have gone through the floor around 2030 it’ll all change again. 2050 would have been more realistic. Isn’t any way the US will even get close to that in my opinion. I was on the East Coast recently and there is very little push towards EVs.
Macan S MY 2023
Old Chimer

Post by Old Chimer »

Jon A wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:11 pm I don’t think it’s about what we prefer. E fuel is just produced from non fossil fuel component’s it still gives off carbon when it burns, may be a bit less than petrol, but carbon neutral it ain’t.
I thought the point about e-fuel was that the carbon given off when it is burnt was little more than the carbon extracted from the atmosphere when it is produced, and that using solar/wind power to run the manufacturing plant makes its production virtually carbon neutral too.
'22 Macan S, GB, 14W/XL, AAS, PA/SV, ACC, LCA, PG, HF/RS, VFS, EETS, 75L, etc, etc.