Macan T - Spec thoughts & and standard sound system

All your ordering information here!
EngineerMK

Post by EngineerMK »

I'm in the order dilemma of locking down the final spec for a Macan T. The Macan is replacing a fully loaded 2017 BMW 340i Touring, and will be the younger stablemate to my 2014 Cayman S, also purchased with far too many options (although back in 2014 base spec was truly spartan!).

The Macan T will be used primarily for congested M1 motorway driving and jaunts to Norfolk on the A421 & A11 so comfort is important than speed (and I have the cayman for the fun drives). I want to keep the options to £10k ish and ended up here:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PPKE2V89

Have just one concern, as the Bose sound system has been dropped will the standard sound system be ok? Given I have tinnitus listen to either R4 or Eighties Pop will regret not shelling out on the overpriced Burmester sounds system? The Cayman has Bose and BMW a Harmon Kardon.

Your thoughts on the basic sound system and and my spec in general would be appreciated.

ctcampbell

Post by ctcampbell »

If you listen to eighties pop you will find the standard one disappointing, it has no low end due to no subwoofer.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Welcome to the forum!

The standard sound system is fine - it's a car, after all, not a concert hall.

Your spec is good. I'd add a spare wheel, and consider having the 18-way seats rather than 14-way. I'd question the value of autodim mirrors, heated screen, speed limit indicator, and lane change assist, but it's your car so have whatever you want!

Most important of all, have you had an extended test drive of a 2.0 litre Macan on the sorts of roads you'll generally use?
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

The PDLS Plus is just the automatic dipping. Regular PDLS is included, well it was in the S.

I have privacy glass in mine and auto dimming mirrors would be a waste. That could still be the case without it so check that out if you can.

Do you really need seat cooling. A lot of dough for something that I certainly wouldn’t look for in a used vehicle.
Macan S MY 2023
Bluesnose1812

Post by Bluesnose1812 »

Skyway wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:13 pm The PDLS Plus is just the automatic dipping. Regular PDLS is included, well it was in the S.

I have privacy glass in mine and auto dimming mirrors would be a waste. That could still be the case without it so check that out if you can.

Do you really need seat cooling. A lot of dough for something that I certainly wouldn’t look for in a used vehicle.
... but I would. Nothing better on a sticky hot day IMHO. +1 from Mrs B.
Currently
S|Leather|Air Susp|Chrono |Surround Camera|BOSE|14 way | AILPG |
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPSV6RD5
Next Project 4 March 2025
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR6MH479
as7920

Post by as7920 »

With leather comfort seats, standard wheels and air suspension I'm sure you'll find your spec pretty comfortable and suitable for your intended use.
I had the sports seats, standard wheels and no A/S on my T.

May I question why you're choosing the T over base? May be the cheaper option as you probably wouldn't need to add A/S.

Personally I'd add privacy glass and the tinted rear lights. but understand they're personal preference.

I didn't bother with wireless charging, never found it good enough in any car, just makes the phone hot.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

:D :D

My lower back is often painful so I’m one of those people that will sometimes turn the heated seats on with the A/C running at the same time. Even so, the cabins cool so fast that over £600 seems a lot for the limited time you need it.

But hey, that’s why no 2 specs are the same and why I like the way Porsche do it, keeping the price lower and letting you add the things that you want.

Forgot to say I have the Bose and I love the system. You have to invest some time setting up the options, fade and balance, but it definitely has some power. Can’t compare with the standard system as no car ever given to me by the OPC had it. I guess it’s best to have a side by side listen in 2 Macan’s. Wouldn’t compare it with other models as the acoustics in the vehicle will be different.
Macan S MY 2023
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

ctcampbell wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:05 pm If you listen to eighties pop you will find the standard one disappointing, it has no low end due to no subwoofer.
Sorry CT don’t agree with you there. I listen to same music and have standard system on my Macan and Bose in a recently returned long term loaner Cayenne. Very little difference in these systems once speakers are bedded in although the Bose will kick out more base - problem is it is often too much base and can bounce around all over the place if not set carefully.
I’m really impressed with standard stereo and am grateful that it doesn’t mess with the output to create “surround sound” which I dislike.
The Bose is ok when set up but i feel it’s another “Porschism” that many of us fall for, although this subject has been done to death on here 😂
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
ctcampbell

Post by ctcampbell »

Jon A wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:23 pm
ctcampbell wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:05 pm If you listen to eighties pop you will find the standard one disappointing, it has no low end due to no subwoofer.
Sorry CT don’t agree with you there. I listen to same music and have standard system on my Macan and Bose in a recently returned long term loaner Cayenne. Very little difference in these systems once speakers are bedded in although the Bose will kick out more base - problem is it is often too much base and can bounce around all over the place if not set carefully.
I’m really impressed with standard stereo and am grateful that it doesn’t mess with the output to create “surround sound” which I dislike.
The Bose is ok when set up but i feel it’s another “Porschism” that many of us fall for, although this subject has been done to death on here 😂
Each to their own, I think the Bose option is significantly better than base but we are all different. For what it's worth, I often set the EQ to +2 bass on mine and I think it sounds great, but I mostly listen to electronic music.
Last edited by ctcampbell on Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome to our friendly forum! :)

The beauty of Porsche is that you can totally pick a unique spec for you.

In the past, folks have said that 10% of the basic price is about right for options, but as with everything, some go much lower and some far exceed that benchmark!

I have found the standard audio perfectly good in all three new Porsches that I’ve ordered, and I mostly listen to talk radio, with the odd blast of music when I get bored.

As already said, it’s a good idea to check out yourself on a test drive as many aspects as you can, including the 2.0 engine and the base audio.

Cheers,
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018