First Porsche - maybe.

New to the Porsche Macan Forums? Introduce yourself here
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Hi Newbie on this forum. I've arranged to have a test drive in a Macan T next week as I've always wanted a Porsche. First choice was a 911 C4 but my numbers never came up so it'll have to be a Macan T , my budget won't stretch to an S with the options I want.
Hopefully the test drive will convince me that the 2 litre engine is fine and I can place an order with delivery quoted as September. Currently drive a MB C250 4matic and coming up to 5 years old with 29000 on the clock, loath to sell it but if I don't bite the bullet now I'll never get a Porshe.
How are other members finding the 2 litre engine ??

gammaray

Post by gammaray »

I have an S, so cannot comment on the 2.0 engine.

But I can say that the interior quality, exterior design, handling and gearbox are simply unmatched in this segment.

Feel free to share your spec ideas too!
Now: 2022 Macan S
Previous: BMW 320i, C class
Deleted User 5286

Post by Deleted User 5286 »

Welcome!
Numerous threads on 2l v 2.9 engines…. Best read through and then book test drives of both before drawing your own conclusions.
Best also be clear in your own mind what you want from your car! No matter what engine you choose it will be a far more rewarding drive than your MB!
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:41 pm Hi Newbie on this forum. I've arranged to have a test drive in a Macan T next week as I've always wanted a Porsche. First choice was a 911 C4 but my numbers never came up so it'll have to be a Macan T , my budget won't stretch to an S with the options I want.
Hopefully the test drive will convince me that the 2 litre engine is fine and I can place an order with delivery quoted as September. Currently drive a MB C250 4matic and coming up to 5 years old with 29000 on the clock, loath to sell it but if I don't bite the bullet now I'll never get a Porshe.
Hi Scooby,

Have you considered buying a used 911 instead?

I only ask, as I bought a new 2.0 Macan six years ago, as I too always wanted a Porsche. Once I had it, I was thrilled to own a Porsche, but realised that it wasn’t THE Porsche that I really wanted to own. So within a month, I was trading in my Macan for a pre-owned 911!

Not my finest moment financially, but led to a good outcome. :)

Cheers,
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Welcome Scooby. Thought you’d already made your decision on the T earlier? Anyhow the quality and finish is there whether S or T. Never had one but did sell a base Macan sometime back for a friend, just personally found it all very lacklustre and muted for a Porsche. Certainly a million mile away from any 911. If it’s not about the occasional bit of drama and quick turn of speed for you and a decent gentler drive is what your happy with it will be fine. Personally would keep saving and get the bigger engine. Current S is the same output as previous GTS. Now that’s definitely worth the extra.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:41 pm Hi Newbie on this forum. I've arranged to have a test drive in a Macan T next week as I've always wanted a Porsche. First choice was a 911 C4 but my numbers never came up so it'll have to be a Macan T , my budget won't stretch to an S with the options I want.
Welcome to the forum.

The 2.0l engine is certainly not as good as the 2.9l V6 in the S. Given your user name, I assume you've owned 1 or more Impreza's in your time, so are probably used to the tuning scene?. The EA888 engine has plenty of tuning mods should you wish it to go a little quicker.

Like yourself, I never thought my first Porsche would be a Macan. But it actually suits our needs for what we need a car to do.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Order an S and use the year wait to save the extra £5k you need. If saving this up in 12 months is not possible then don’t buy a Porsche cos it’s going to cost plenty to run.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

MikeM wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:32 am Welcome Scooby. Thought you’d already made your decision on the T earlier? Anyhow the quality and finish is there whether S or T. Never had one but did sell a base Macan sometime back for a friend, just personally found it all very lacklustre and muted for a Porsche. Certainly a million mile away from any 911. If it’s not about the occasional bit of drama and quick turn of speed for you and a decent gentler drive is what your happy with it will be fine. Personally would keep saving and get the bigger engine. Current S is the same output as previous GTS. Now that’s definitely worth the extra.
It's not really a question of money, I could probably go for a new 911, it's a question of how much I want to spend and would I actually make good use of the additional BHP. I retired 6 years ago and only cover about 5-6000 miles a year. I live in West Wales and so not many motorway miles. mainly A & B roads with plenty of mobile cameras around. The "S" would be my first choice but ...........................................
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Jon A wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:58 am
Order an S and use the year wait to save the extra £5k you need. If saving this up in 12 months is not possible then don’t buy a Porsche cos it’s going to cost plenty to run.
See my reply to Mike M.
On the "cost plenty to run" part -
My MB 250C costs about £400 to service every year, the Porsche is once every two years.
Current rear tyres are 265/35 x19 so not much cheaper than the Porsche tyres. I only cover 5-6000 miles a year.
Fuel consumption averaging 34mpg even allowing for 25mpg in the Porsche it's only an extra £500 a year.

So not a great increase in running cost, unless I've missed anything.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:24 pm
Jon A wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:58 am
See my reply to Mike M.
On the "cost plenty to run" part -
My MB 250C costs about £400 to service every year, the Porsche is once every two years.
Current rear tyres are 265/35 x19 so not much cheaper than the Porsche tyres. I only cover 5-6000 miles a year.
Fuel consumption averaging 34mpg even allowing for 25mpg in the Porsche it's only an extra £500 a year.

So not a great increase in running cost, unless I've missed anything.
I don’t think you’ve missed much there Scooby if you are servicing the Merc every 12 months (seems very frequent at that mileage) so test drive both fully just to be sure you have made the right decision for you and your needs.
Fuel consumption between T and S is very close and with your mileage will make no real difference so just down to preference of performance really…
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0