Macan T. Evo Review. 4th March 2023

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:23 pm
andreas wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:21 pm The final sentence sums it up - "Because even if you only buy it for the kudos of owning a Porsche, the Macan T isn’t going to provide you with the experience you are expecting."
And that one sentence is why anyone with any brain cells should ignore any and all car reviews and drive the damn car yourself...

...and why anyone with any brain cells should ignore any & all opinions on here and drive the damn car yourself...! ;) :P :lol: :D
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:23 pm
andreas wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:21 pm The final sentence sums it up - "Because even if you only buy it for the kudos of owning a Porsche, the Macan T isn’t going to provide you with the experience you are expecting."
And that one sentence is why anyone with any brain cells should ignore any and all car reviews and drive the damn car yourself.

Test drive the variant that you want to buy and make up your mind.

All we can do is advise and if a punter ignores, add this, add that, remove that, then that is up to them.

There are thousands of Porsche owners out there who just want a tarted up shopping trolley with a Porsche badge.
But surely aren't all Macans tarted up shopping trolleys with a Porsche badge , it's just that some are fast and some are very fast shopping trolleys ?
gammaray

Post by gammaray »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:13 pm Might be worth a look, for anyone considering buying a T (or 2.0).

:geek:

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/macan/t
I think there’s an issue regarding most people’s thoughts on the Macan and Macan T.

I think comparing to an S or GTS is unfair as the bigger engine is obviously playing in their favour.

The base an T Macans should be compared with an X3 30i, GLC300 and whatever Q5 equivalent it is. When you look at it like that, the 2.0 Macan still handles better than its competitors and the build quality is far superior, not to mention the special feeling of owning a Porsche.

From that perspective, I think the base Macan and Macan T are fantastic cars for people who were also comparing/looking at a 2.0 X3 and want something a little more special, better and handling and of a higher quality.
Now: 2022 Macan S
Previous: BMW 320i, C class
2japs

Post by 2japs »

gammaray wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:59 am
Wing Commander wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:13 pm Might be worth a look, for anyone considering buying a T (or 2.0).

:geek:

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/macan/t
I think there’s an issue regarding most people’s thoughts on the Macan and Macan T.

I think comparing to an S or GTS is unfair as the bigger engine is obviously playing in their favour.

The base an T Macans should be compared with an X3 30i, GLC300 and whatever Q5 equivalent it is. When you look at it like that, the 2.0 Macan still handles better than its competitors and the build quality is far superior, not to mention the special feeling of owning a Porsche.

From that perspective, I think the base Macan and Macan T are fantastic cars for people who were also comparing/looking at a 2.0 X3 and want something a little more special, better and handling and of a higher quality.
Good point.
Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
Wolands Advocate

Post by Wolands Advocate »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:14 pm My reasons for buying the Macan "T"
I've always aspired to owning a Porsche but up until now didn't have the inclination to spend the money, I'm now past 70 and very comfortably off and if I don't buy one now I'll never buy one, and after all it's only the cost of the first year in an old peoples home.
I want the badge on my bootlid - I'm being honest.
Depreciation - my other choices were MB GLC or Audi Q5 but a nicely specced version of either would cost not much less than the Macan and hopefully the Macan will retain a much larger proportion of it's purchase price come resale.
My 78yr old father, also very comfortably off, drives a Night Blue Gen II Macan S. When I mentioned that I was thinking of replacing my BMW with a Macan, he had two bits of advice - (i) make sure it has air suspension and (ii) don't get the 2.0 engine - his view was that it in no way suited the car or the badge.

We've never owned the "same" car before, he having historically always had fast Audis and me fast BMWs, but the Macan has united our automotive tastes!
2023 Macan GTS
2022 Mini Cooper
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Wolands Advocate wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:42 pm
Scooby_Doo wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:14 pm My reasons for buying the Macan "T"
I've always aspired to owning a Porsche but up until now didn't have the inclination to spend the money, I'm now past 70 and very comfortably off and if I don't buy one now I'll never buy one, and after all it's only the cost of the first year in an old peoples home.
I want the badge on my bootlid - I'm being honest.
Depreciation - my other choices were MB GLC or Audi Q5 but a nicely specced version of either would cost not much less than the Macan and hopefully the Macan will retain a much larger proportion of it's purchase price come resale.
My 78yr old father, also very comfortably off, drives a Night Blue Gen II Macan S. When I mentioned that I was thinking of replacing my BMW with a Macan, he had two bits of advice - (i) make sure it has air suspension and (ii) don't get the 2.0 engine - his view was that it in no way suited the car or the badge.

We've never owned the "same" car before, he having historically always had fast Audis and me fast BMWs, but the Macan has united our automotive tastes!
Your father is probably correct, always an "S" over a "T" , and I agree that the 2.0L is not an engine to bear the Porsche badge. Unfortunately life is never that simple, the waiting time for a "T" is bad enough and I don't think I could wait a year for a new "S". Having fully retired last year my annual mileage will probably be circa 4000 miles pa and mainly short journeys so the V6 is going to be a bit of overkill , and I don't really want to spend another £4500.00. When I test drove the 2.0L I have to admit that flooring the throttle wasn't a very pleasant experience, I thought the throttle had stuck - over revving , but there again no car is perfect - apart from my current C250d 4matic - all the toys , 4 wheel drive and 500Nm of torque .
EngineerMK

Post by EngineerMK »

All the tests of the T (magazines and YouTube) appear to reach the same conclusion, why buy the T when the S is 'only' £1k more? That's true in the UK and most of the world however there a few places in the world where anything over 2.0litres is taxed heavily, maybe not works better in those countries. I'd argue city dwellers would also appreciate the T over the base model.
softsand

Post by softsand »

Indeed. In Australia, the pricing is also somewhat different.

No option pricing, on the road, in my location:

$104,213 Base
$107,860 T
$128,840 S (no Sports Chrono, GT wheel etc)
$163,635 GTS
2022 Macan T - http://www.porsche-code.com/PN22I7J6 with 21” Sport Classic wheels in Satin Platinum
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

EngineerMK wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:54 pm All the tests of the T (magazines and YouTube) appear to reach the same conclusion, why buy the T when the S is 'only' £1k more? That's true in the UK and most of the world however there a few places in the world where anything over 2.0litres is taxed heavily, maybe not works better in those countries. I'd argue city dwellers would also appreciate the T over the base model.
For the UK, that is probably what the T is for. People who just want a Macan, but don't want / need the power of the S. I really don't know why everyone is upset over the T.

The price difference was only £400 this time last year. Evo's review of the T was what got me thinking about a Macan. I'd never looked at Macan prices and just assumed they were too expensive over my then current BMW X3 M40i. But when I read the S was only £400 more than the T, it got me looking at the configurator.

As it turns out, it's impossible to keep an S only £400 more expensive than a T. £12k worth of options later !!
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

wab172uk wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:35 am
EngineerMK wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:54 pm All the tests of the T (magazines and YouTube) appear to reach the same conclusion, why buy the T when the S is 'only' £1k more? That's true in the UK and most of the world however there a few places in the world where anything over 2.0litres is taxed heavily, maybe not works better in those countries. I'd argue city dwellers would also appreciate the T over the base model.
For the UK, that is probably what the T is for. People who just want a Macan, but don't want / need the power of the S. I really don't know why everyone is upset over the T.

The price difference was only £400 this time last year. Evo's review of the T was what got me thinking about a Macan. I'd never looked at Macan prices and just assumed they were too expensive over my then current BMW X3 M40i. But when I read the S was only £400 more than the T, it got me looking at the configurator.

As it turns out, it's impossible to keep an S only £400 more expensive than a T. £12k worth of options later !!
It's £4500.00 difference "T" to an "S" on my spec, plus another 6 months depreciation on my current car for the extra waiting time, plus any price increases by Porsche. Could end up being £7000.00