Post by SAC1 »

CAR magazine article....

Screenshot_20230319_094752_Email.jpg

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Harry's Garage did a decent vlog about sustainable fuels not too long ago.
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
Wolands Advocate

Post by Wolands Advocate »

If they spent half the amount they spend on developing electric vehicles on e-fuels, I reckon they’d easily find ways of making them both even cleaner and cheaper.

If you think of the saving it would entail in not having to completely overhaul urban and rural infrastructure to cater for electric transport, plus not having to junk and recycle millions of existing vehicles, plus millions of spent batteries, I just think efuels are not being looked at as closely as they should.
2023 Macan GTS
2022 Mini Cooper
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

I guess in the bigger picture, e-fuel doesn’t reduce carbon it is only neutral. The long term goal is to reduce global warming by pumping less carbon into the atmosphere?
Not sure how much of this comes from ICE but it must be a fair chunk?
Will still have its place though I think.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

What a load of crap.

It is Porsche trying to justify a mass of their cars running around race tracks and at PEC’s by getting Joe Public to think that what they are doing is environmentally friendly.

Race tracks by their very being are not environmentally friendly.

Us driving to the PEC and to any Race track is not environmentally friendly.

Transporting the eFuel is certainly not going to be environmentally friendly.

Transporting the race cars, staff, drivers and the hangers on is far from environmentally friendly.

Porsche would have been better spending the £74M on getting their cars software and Apps working correctly and designing components that have longevity in their design, choice of materials and sealants (transfer box, DPF faults, app glitches, tracker systems that are temperamental, sunroof drains, the list goes on).
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Rarecolour

Post by Rarecolour »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:22 am What a load of crap.

It is Porsche trying to justify a mass of their cars running around race tracks and at PEC’s by getting Joe Public to think that what they are doing is environmentally friendly.

Race tracks by their very being are not environmentally friendly.

Us driving to the PEC and to any Race track is not environmentally friendly.

Transporting the eFuel is certainly not going to be environmentally friendly.

Transporting the race cars, staff, drivers and the hangers on is far from environmentally friendly.

Porsche would have been better spending the £74M on getting their cars software and Apps working correctly and designing components that have longevity in their design, choice of materials and sealants (transfer box, DPF faults, app glitches, tracker systems that are temperamental, sunroof drains, the list goes on).
What you drinking Col?
Ex -
Macan Turbo (Mamba Green)
Audi RS6 (Misano Red)
Audi S4 (Silver)
Audi S3 (Imola Yellow)
Peugeot 309 goodwood (Green)
Peugeot 306 gti-6 (Silver)
Peugeot 205 gti (Ltd edition Sorento Green)
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Manufacturers are starting to speak up regarding EV's not being the silver bullet. I think they've realised that there will be no such thing as a cheap EV. Not one with any decent range anyway.

The whole EV thing took off due to tax breaks for company cars. And that's probably where most of the sales still are.

The average punter who spent less that £20k on a new Fiesta, can't just suddenly afford £50k+ on an EV as they still need decent range. Car sales will fall, and probably fall dramatically as ICE cars become a thing of the past. They need an alternative, and E-Fuel is probably the answer. But legislation doesn't let them spend Billions on R&D. That is designated to EV cars, as the legislation say that what they can sell.

It only takes every car manufacturer to refuse to sell EV only cars. Governments would lose billions in tax, and have to cave in.
pmg

Post by pmg »

wab172uk wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:40 pm Manufacturers are starting to speak up regarding EV's not being the silver bullet. I think they've realised that there will be no such thing as a cheap EV. Not one with any decent range anyway.

The whole EV thing took off due to tax breaks for company cars. And that's probably where most of the sales still are.

The average punter who spent less that £20k on a new Fiesta, can't just suddenly afford £50k+ on an EV as they still need decent range. Car sales will fall, and probably fall dramatically as ICE cars become a thing of the past. They need an alternative, and E-Fuel is probably the answer. But legislation doesn't let them spend Billions on R&D. That is designated to EV cars, as the legislation say that what they can sell.

It only takes every car manufacturer to refuse to sell EV only cars. Governments would lose billions in tax, and have to cave in.
VAG are intending to sell the ID2 around £20 K

EV's work for those who can charge at home and never do more than 150 to 200 miles in a day. They do not work well for longer trips. Hydrogen is better a better alternative than e fuels as it suits commercial vehicles better, it fact ii suits those markets that emission worries were covered by diesel.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

wab172uk wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:40 pm Manufacturers are starting to speak up regarding EV's not being the silver bullet. I think they've realised that there will be no such thing as a cheap EV. Not one with any decent range anyway.

Range isn’t the issue Wab. My neighbour’s EV6 has a better range than my Macan, it replenishing it that is the issue, or at least where to do it. If you have a small runabout (as many on here do) I can’t see that you would need to charge it anywhere other than at home, so replenishing is not an issue.
If you need a car for longer distance driving then infrastructure is the problem, not the car or it’s range.
Seems like this will get solved with time, EV’s are still in their infancy. I’m sure there will be a good mix of power plants for some years to come though…
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Jon A wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:00 pm

Range isn’t the issue Wab. My neighbour’s EV6 has a better range than my Macan, it replenishing it that is the issue, or at least where to do it. If you have a small runabout (as many on here do) I can’t see that you would need to charge it anywhere other than at home, so replenishing is not an issue.
If you need a car for longer distance driving then infrastructure is the problem, not the car or it’s range.
Seems like this will get solved with time, EV’s are still in their infancy. I’m sure there will be a good mix of power plants for some years to come though…
So why don't you have an EV then if they are so good? Genuine question?

Just think if we spent as much time and money developing E-Fuels instead of Building EV's. Imagine how much greener that would be to our planet?

And if the overall plan is to rid the planet of Carbon, then we're all dead. Basic biology teaches us that.