PIWIS in Sussex/Hampshire - auto full beam

Technical Forum for the Porsche Macan
SC85

Post by SC85 »

pmg wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:13 pm
SC85 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:26 pm Good evening all, first post so please be nice…..

Threw my toys out of the pram at the recent price hike, so cancelled our Macan S that was on order and just picked up a well specced used approved instead (2022 Macan S). Is missing the PDLS+ though which is a shame, but there’s always a compromise.

Having been reading the forum for a while, believe I’ll be able to retrofit the auto high beam to our PDLS (non plus) headlights, by way of help with PIWIS.

Does anyone in the local(ish) area to Chichester have this and willing to help, knowing what to do to enable this? Sussex/Kent/Hampshire obviously all fine.

Thank you
Sam
I am local to you in Barnham but in the 4 years I have had my Macan I have not become aware of any local South Coast PIwis non OPC support. the two nearest independents, I would ask if they can help would be Brookspeed in Eastleigh and Cridfords in Ewhurst Surrey

I have PDLS + from new on my Gen 2 Macan S. I have owned previously BMW's with full matrix. PDLS plus is not as good as full matrix as it does not put a full beam either side of a car in front. As well as auto beam, a wider beam at junctions and cornering light ,PDLS plus seems to adjust the beam width to beam ratio according to speed which means say doing 40 mph on a downland road the main beam will be very wide but not much longer than the braking distance and a dipped beam. If you override it and return to manual control you get a way longer very bright and long but narrower main beam. I find myself doing that quite often if traffic permits at night on local downland roads
Thank you for the tips PMG, appreciated!
2022 Macan S - Night Blue

SC85

Post by SC85 »

Don16 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:49 pm Yes it can be enabled and is relatively straight forward process. I know someone down Oxfordshire area who can help if you don't find anyone.
Thank you Don, appreciate it! I’ll see if anyone local pops up in the next few days and, if not, I’ll be back in touch!
2022 Macan S - Night Blue
pmg

Post by pmg »

SC85 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:43 pm
SC85 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:26 pm Good evening all, first post so please be nice…..

Threw my toys out of the pram at the recent price hike, so cancelled our Macan S that was on order and just picked up a well specced used approved instead (2022 Macan S). Is missing the PDLS+ though which is a shame, but there’s always a compromise.

Having been reading the forum for a while, believe I’ll be able to retrofit the auto high beam to our PDLS (non plus) headlights, by way of help with PIWIS.

Does anyone in the local(ish) area to Chichester have this and willing to help, knowing what to do to enable this? Sussex/Kent/Hampshire obviously all fine.

Thank you
Sam
I am local to you in Barnham but in the 4 years I have had my Macan I have not become aware of any local South Coast PIwis non OPC support. the two nearest independents, I would ask if they can help would be Brookspeed in Eastleigh and Cridfords in Ewhurst Surrey

I have PDLS + from new on my Gen 2 Macan S. I have owned previously BMW's with full matrix. PDLS plus is not as good as full matrix as it does not put a full beam either side of a car in front. As well as auto beam, a wider beam at junctions and cornering light ,PDLS plus seems to adjust the beam width to beam ratio according to speed which means say doing 40 mph on a downland road the main beam will be very wide but not much longer than the braking distance and a dipped beam. If you override it and return to manual control you get a way longer very bright and long but narrower main beam. I find myself doing that quite often if traffic permits at night on local downland roads
i has a further thought last night. I suspect PDLS plus requires a camera/sensor that may not be fitted to cars without it so it may be more than simple programming.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Don16

Post by Don16 »

pmg wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:19 pm
SC85 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:43 pm

i has a further thought last night. I suspect PDLS plus requires a camera/sensor that may not be fitted to cars without it so it may be more than simple programming.
Correct, it does require the windscreen camera which most cars have. It's fairly obvious if you have the camera as it takes up a good amount of screen real estate vs just the rain/light sensor